Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - Released... but nobody cares

Branm

Learned
Hmmm I guess they don't help themselves making the updates for that adventure private. Fuck it ill just leech the game once its released.

The pitch video just pisses me off.... 60 seconds of talking about the game, the rest stupid humor...

And I heard about Tim but he isnt involved in this? It says the producer some Brian Muir dude with pretty much 0 track record or experience in turn based. Seriously is it just me? At least inXile came to kickstarter after THEY SHOWED progress...

Any in-game footage for the adventure?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I bought the Double Fine Adventure thing just for the Documentary, which I've been enjoying watching. For $15 (at the time I pledged) there's quite a few hours of documentary on there. I think the price has gone up to $30 now though?

We haven't seen *too* much actual gameplay of Broken Age yet in the documentary, there was an episode where everyone was playtesting the game, but the longest clip of the game you got was a few seconds.
There excuse is probably because it's an adventure game, if they show you how to do one of the puzzles it spoils that part of the game. AFAIK these games aren't choice and consequence, just one right answer.

I put down the $20, but I have another 28 days to revoke it if I want.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hmmm I guess they don't help themselves making the updates for that adventure private. Fuck it ill just leech the game once its released.

The pitch video just pisses me off.... 60 seconds of talking about the game, the rest stupid humor...

And I heard about Tim but he isnt involved in this? It says the producer some Brian Muir dude with pretty much 0 track record or experience in turn based. Seriously is it just me? At least inXile came to kickstarter after THEY SHOWED progress...

Any in-game footage for the adventure?
Not much, but they showed ingame footage in their documentary.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone a backer for the adventure they kickstarted? Have they shown ANY progress?

They seem to be progressing (very expensively) on Broken Age, and have said they're hoping to release it this year.

Altogether it's been a mixed experience backing BA. It feels like more than half the backers "backed" for the documentary/DF-fanshit, which is some broadly-aimed indoctrination propaganda reality-tv with occasionally insights on the game/process/progress. They haven't spoken about the game's length, only somewhat vague ideas about the story, barely involved Ron Gilbert... The game could still turn out wonderful?

I think the same quirkiness/marketing-ourselves/actual-gameplay ratio present in the Massive Chalice KS video is a good indicator of whats to come.

Borelli

Arcane
When he said "i hope you will back massive" i thought he was gonna finish that sentence with "money" :lol:.
Heroes breeding more heroes sound great and i can't wait to see how will they execute that idea.
However the picture for FFT on the whiteboard is BAD.
EDIT: And Tim should have been naked in the video, they ruined a nice setup.
Yes.

Lumpy

Arcane
Haha I like how he takes the piss out of Brian Fargo with the publisher bit.

Stabwound

Arcane
I didn't see it as "taking the piss" out of Fargo at all. It came across as a ripoff of his bit to me.

This kickstarter right here is a good example of how this whole crowdfunding thing is going to inevitably fall apart. These people are going to get several million dollars thrown at them for what is probably about 50 man hours of work total on this video and kickstarter page. Now, it's possible that Broken Age and this game are going to be awesome mindblowing games, but someone along the line is going to fuck up big time on a game worth millions and screw it all up.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
By the way, Double Fine have a track record of making good to stellar games. InXile have the track record of making shity games, even if they showed more from Wasteland 2 than Double Fine did from Broken Age.

They have a track record of making a couple of good games and a bunch of mediocre to poor Xbox download titles. I have zero faith in them making a good tactical game. Pyschonauts is a good game. Costume Quest is cute but was mostly designed by one employee. Stacking? Iron Brigade? Please. Double Fine are the kings of 75% polish 25% substance. They have this rockstar aura about them in the indie world and get hyped by all the 'journalists.'

Lumpy

Arcane
I didn't see it as "taking the piss" out of Fargo at all. It came across as a ripoff of his bit to me.

This kickstarter right here is a good example of how this whole crowdfunding thing is going to inevitably fall apart. These people are going to get several million dollars thrown at them for what is probably about 50 man hours of work total on this video and kickstarter page. Now, it's possible that Broken Age and this game are going to be awesome mindblowing games, but someone along the line is going to fuck up big time on a game worth millions and screw it all up.

The way I see it, they're parodying inXile's petty abuse of publishers by taking it to the logical extreme.

I found Fargo's "Waaaah publishers won't give me money to make Torment 2! We made Demon's Forge Sword you imbeciles, clearly they're not giving us millions because they're retarded children." to be deplorable, and as far as I can tell Schafer is making fun of that. Then again, maybe I'm just projecting.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The way I see it, they're parodying inXile's petty abuse of publishers by taking it to the logical extreme.
I don't think so. 1) I think they intended to get it across that publishers suck. 2) Parodying the most successful kickstarter company seems like bad form. I think it was a straight up allusion.

Also the logical extreme would be buying Double Fine just so they can tear down the headquarters to put a highway in and laughing manically like Judge Doom.

Lumpy

Arcane
I don't think so. 1) I think they intended to get it across that publishers suck.
I'm pretty sure that if Schafer wanted to get it across that publishers such, he could've found a somewhat subtler method than portraying them as the Antichrist.
Either it was a clever parody of inXile, or it was a cretinous joke. Take your pick.

Branm

Learned
By the way, Double Fine have a track record of making good to stellar games. InXile have the track record of making shity games, even if they showed more from Wasteland 2 than Double Fine did from Broken Age.

They have a track record of making a couple of good games and a bunch of mediocre to poor Xbox download titles. I have zero faith in them making a good tactical game. Pyschonauts is a good game. Costume Quest is cute but was mostly designed by one employee. Stacking? Iron Brigade? Please. Double Fine are the kings of 75% polish 25% substance. They have this rockstar aura about them in the indie world and get hyped by all the 'journalists.'

This especially the 2nd part the pitch is a joke...The video adds insult to injury. The reception these guys getting for being average at best is astonishing. How some people can compare a bunch of nobodies to inXile who brought us fucking Wasteland is beyond me. Meh kickstarter = shitstarter

Like fuck....from what i've seen from Wasteland 2 I have confidence they will deliver....with Torment I also have no doubt in my mind that I will get what I want.

This is the best i've found for broken age: . Are they shitting me???? Thats the best!!!???? After ummm 2 years?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm pretty sure that if Schafer wanted to get it across that publishers such, he could've found a somewhat subtler method than portraying them as the Antichrist.
Either it was a clever parody of inXile, or it was a cretinous joke. Take your pick.
I've made my choice, it's the latter.

I would describe it as indulgent, not cretinous personally. Since the entire video was pretty indulgent, it fits the tone they established.

himmy

Arcane
This kickstarter right here is a good example of how this whole crowdfunding thing is going to inevitably fall apart.

Oh, oh. We had several months of optimism, time to get back at being edgy and heralding every new campaign as the downfall of crowdfunding.

Branm

Learned
This kickstarter right here is a good example of how this whole crowdfunding thing is going to inevitably fall apart.

Oh, oh. We had several months of optimism, time to get back at being edgy and heralding every new campaign as the downfall of crowdfunding.

But he has a point. A good one at that considering, the pitch video and overall work that seems to have gone into this pitch is a joke. They spend 70% of the video hyping a nobody lead dev and people just jump in blindly.

grdja

Augur
Doublefine made a single good game, Psychonauts. Tim Shaefer himself did make some more good stuff, 20 years ago. At least inXile people worked on semi-decent and good-ish RPGs during last decade.

himmy

Arcane
But he has a point. A good one at that considering, the pitch video and overall work that seems to have gone into this pitch is a joke. They spend 70% of the video hyping a nobody lead dev and people just jump in blindly.

Dude. Seriously. Half of the posts in this topic are basically comprised of you foaming at the mouth at the mere idea that not only is this pitch happening, but people are actually donating. You're taking this way too personally. It's like they fucked your mom and didn't cuddle.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Did Tim Schaefer touch you in a no-no place or something?

Game looks mildly interesting but I think I'll abstain for now. If they show something with a bit more substance maybe I'll go in for $20.

Stabwound

Arcane

Please. I've been foaming at the mouth to play many of the recent kickstarters: Divinity, Torment, etc. If you can't see how utterly shitty this kickstarter is in every way compared to those like Project Eternity and Torment then I don't know what to tell you.

Crowdfunding is awesome, but people are really starting to milk the system. This is really the first big name kickstarter that's left a horrible taste in my mouth, and I liked the original Double Fine one.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"Hi. I made a platformer and a horrible hybrid-game. Please give me money to make a hardcore tactical title."

Eh?

Will wait and see what details are released. The concept does sound cool.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I can't wait for some -- if not most -- of these Kickstarters to implode.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yeah man. I'm also so edgy I can't wait to get more shit games! I'd rather prove everyone wrong than get the games I've been screaming for for a decade as well!

sser

Arcane
Developer

Yeah man. I'm also so edgy I can't wait to get more shit games! I'd rather prove everyone wrong than get the games I've been screaming for for a decade as well!

It's more like giving money to strangers on a promise is generally a bad idea-kind of thing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It's more like giving money to strangers on a promise is generally a bad idea-kind of thing.

Grunker said:
Some people react to this by digging themselves down in the opposite ditch and claiming Kickstarter is just preordering without knowing anything at all. [This is] actually kind of right - except that isn't a very good reason to be pessimistic (see why below).

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lets-discuss-kickstarter.83422/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom