Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Double the skills for robots in Space Siege

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Space Siege

<a href="http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/884/884509p1.html">IGN have a quick preview of Space Siege</a>. There's not much new but:
<br>
<blockquote>For one thing, the game will feature different endings based which decisions you've made with the upgrades. NPCs in the main questing hub will react different depending on how many artificial bits you've grafted to yourself, and if you stay pure human you'll gain access to two special abilities otherwise locked out.
<br>
<br>
Just from looking at the skill tree, however, it seems more beneficial to drop as many implants into Walker [the player] as possible as it unlocks nearly double the amount of skills in addition to giving you access to a wider range of weaponry. These upgrades are performed at special stations located around the ship, and have the bonus functionality of letting you upgrade your own and Harvey's statistics as well as whatever weaponry you're carrying around.
<br>
<br>
Doing most of this requires parts. It seems as though GPG is going for a streamlined sort of design with Space Siege, since these parts are pretty much the entirety to what enemies give out when defeated. They're not littering the ground with weaponry, armor, cash and various items or upgrades, just parts, which are added to a single total. And when you do get weapons, which happens very rarely according the producer we were talking to, you keep every one in a sort of permanent inventory, meaning you don't have to ditch or sell unused weaponry.</blockquote>
<br>
Sounds like the game will be complete and utter crap designed for the mentally challenged "casual gamer". <a href="http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=53313">You can find five new screenshots for the game over on WorthPlaying</a>. If you want some more info, CrispyGamer also has an article titled "<a href="http://www.crispygamer.com/_GeneratedPages/Features/Feature954.aspx">Five things you need to know about Space Siege</a>".
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">Brother None's Summer Job</a>

Zhirzzh

Scholar
So, only one type of item in the whole game? And the preview is general positive? :declineofmedia:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll definately test the game once it is available, but the more I hear of it, the more dumbed down it seems.
Maybe those are just all false impressions, but only one kind of item dropped by enemies sounds very, very strange. I hope there are at least many kinds of "parts", so you will have to collect the right ones to get what you desire.

What also seems strange is that you simply become much stronger by becoming a cyborg. I don't see yet why any player should decide not to do so. In a RPG, that would be more likely, but moral choices in a H&S? Nonsense.

Texas Red

Whiner
Why would you want to upgrade yourself and become more powerful if you're resurrected every time with no penalty?

This is one of the worst games imaginable.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dark Individual said:
Why would you want to upgrade yourself and become more powerful if you're resurrected every time with no penalty?

Huh? I didn't know that.
Those built-in god modes are one of the worst things since the invention of console gaming. It just rightout sucks and makes all games less enjoyable. Prey, Bioshock, etc. And now a H&S? lol.
Instead of using this crap they should just have implemented a five-min autosave.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
thesheeep said:
Dark Individual said:

Huh? I didn't know that.
Those built-in god modes are one of the worst things since the invention of console gaming. It just rightout sucks and makes all games less enjoyable. Prey, Bioshock, etc. And now a H&S? lol.
Instead of using this crap they should just have implemented a five-min autosave.

To make it clear from the getgo: I think Space Siege will be retarded (will buy it nontheless).

But, there is actually C&C in this H&S as was illustrated in one video I watched lately (GameStar DVD IIRC). There was a chick to be rescued that joined the main character and the story followed that path (NPC romance galore), but ONLY when you are more human than robot. So losing your humanity tends to reduce your chances to get laid considerably.

BTW: I think auto resurrect is not s.th. from the console. It is around at least since 1997 when Diablo made you "restart in town".

Kraszu

Prophet
In Diablo you loose something when you die, that is actually great system for it but would not work in every game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I've got nothing against auto-ressurection - if done correctly -, but in some games, they are just overpowered god-modes.

Also, that C&C is pretty minor, but still okay for a H&S game. But is something like that really a reason for players not to improve their character? I don't think so.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, that sucks, Claw. I hope they fix that in Space Siege 2 so you can upgrade at once; that's less complicated and cumbersome.

But then again, I guess Space Siege 1 is aiming for an old-school hardcore RP gamer audience.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Prey did the resurection thing right (it's at least one thing they got right with that game).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They did? I thought people hated that, but liked the rest about it.

Myself? I loved Prey - I ignored the story and the crappy weapons, but gee, the art-design... I loved that alien ship and how it looked. Might be the only one who thinks so though.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Well I kinda liked the start of the game but once the actual game started I was disapointed. The portals were fun and promised some good puzzles that never came though I admit I liked the cube (easy though once you figured it out, the fun was actually figuring it out).

And yeah, I liked the respawn system, it was a nice alternative to the quick load and a bit more involved than the vita-chamber: in Prey you're basically immortal but each time you die, you have to kill some "evil birdies of flying d00m" in a limited time, depending on how many you kill you respawn with more life at the place where you died, the whole system keeps you in the action somehow, compared to Bioshock, when you die you always respawn with half life and have to backtrack to where you died.

Of course you can still manually quick load when you die if you really want.

As for the whole biomechanical design, I kinda prefered the one from Quake 4 though Prey had some interesting stuff in there.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Gragt said:
Prey did the resurection thing right.
No. No it didn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom