Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Downfall - Stargate CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by MercantileInterest, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    A2
    B2
    C1

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. false Kalin Arcane

false Kalin
    Bonasz post:

[​IMG]

On this scale, the location of our sun and the Sphere of the System Lords fill the exact same tiny dot. It is a very big galaxy and most races are rightly terrified of opening their stargates. Much worse horrors than the Goa'uld lurk the heavens.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    A1
    B2
    C2

^ Top  
  4. told you guys that we should have defanged the natives.

look at the early american settlers: they tried multiple times to live in peace with their native counterparts only to be massacered again and again.

it wasn't until the native population was decimated that things finally calmed down.

Oh well, at least we only lost a redneck.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2019
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. A2, hell no. The last thing we need it for them to create some sort of nano plague that will wipe us out.

B2, they're hostile and have advanced tech. maybe even tech advanced enough to harm us via the stargate (though matter can only travel one way, some forms of energy can travel both ways). There's no room for negotiation with beings hat deem themselves our gods. All previous attempts with the priors have failed.

C1 - screw them.

:yeah:

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Ah man, I was really rooting it for our man Troy. RIP Troy, he was a post-apoc redneck bro.

A2) Hell no, this seems like the recipe for your average Stargate episode. Eggheads decide to do experiment on alien with unknown tech, BAM! A bunch of Ori cultists start doing all sorts of weird things. O'neill and co have to fix the mess. "Flood it with Carbon Monoxide" is kind of a stupid plan, we know the Ori aren't normal homo sapiens anymore. This seems like a recipe for the Ori to no-sell our gas because he does breathe carbon monoxide. I would do trust this more if we were flooding it with nerve gas or acid.

B2) We have nothing to talk with these "people."

C1) Let's see what Clemens is made of. Best solution, he actually hears everybody and gets them all to sing kumbaya. Worst case, he fucks up and we can scapegoat him and execute him in order to eliminate one of the witnesses of what we did to Kinsey.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. false Kalin Arcane

false Kalin
    The SGC is not a chemical weapons facility. (Kwan does not possess chemical weapons. Kwan has never possessed chemical weapons.) General Hammond procured the nerve gas with special permission for use in securing the gate. Wellesy (you) transferred it to guard the main base entrance and expended it on the cartel. If you can think of any other chemical the facility would reasonably store, I will modify the choice to use it instead.

Also, shooting the Prior has been shown to have some success.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Grimgravy Cipher Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    A2
    B2
    C1

^ Top  
  9. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    A2
    B2
    C1

^ Top  
  10. false Kalin Arcane

false Kalin
    [​IMG]

Day 96

Two iron clad berserkers hacked at each other with etched axes. The sharp edges glanced and sparked on dull armor. To the side, their companions roared. On the ramparts above the frozen mud of the courtyard, SGC airmen roared. On his carven throne under a vast American flag blowing in the chill breeze, Colonel Makepeace brooded. One of the barbarians slipped and the other's axe snapped to his throat. The crowd hushed and looked up to the colonel. At first, the Crom barbarians had ignored the simple instructions to reserve a beaten foe for his judgment, but after the sniper took out those who made this mistake, and the translator repeated the instructions, they caught on. This time, the man had fought well. Makepeace raised his thumb.

Another hundred fights to go.

***​

"Alright," Carter grinned. "This should work."

"Yeah." Said Dr. Lee. "It will totally work." They glanced around the laboratory. "And if it doesn't, we'll try again. We've got an open timetable."

The Goa'uld staff weapon appeared to power itself through a miniaturized naquadah-plasma fuel cell. While they had not reached the stage of drawing power from the plasma, the scientists were experimented with methods of congealing the naquadah into a plasma state and then containing the resulting substance. The current attempt involved a superheated alloy of potassium, chlorine, phosphorus and manganese bonded in a specific order with raw naquadah.

"The plasma has bonded." Dr. Lee motioned to the interface. "Dial down the magnetic field. Siphon the substance into the container."

The green blur congealed. Then, with a sizzle, it expanded in every direction, eating away at the table, walls and ceiling. In a second, it was burnt out. The physicist let out his breath.

"Well, that's not what the staffs use but we can make it work if we can figure out how to store it."

Carter tugged at her hair. "Do you think Wellesy will notice we depleted our naquadah again?"

***​

"Sir, we're receiving a message from Khepri. Video feed."

"He can interface with our technology?" Wellesy hurried into the control room.

"He's probably using a camera captured from SG-5."

The image flickered onto the screen and the sinister sound of a Goa'uld with it. SG-5 knelt in rags with their hands bound behind their backs.

"Ah, Tau'ri! Your warriors told me you do not leave a man behind. I thought to myself: surely they will be ransomed but you have not sent me the naquadah. Do you feel these men failed you? Let me show you what we do to those who those for fail their gods." A man in lavish robes waved his hand over the prisoners. They writhed and cried out. He laughed. "I will torment them to death but that will not be the end of their suffering. For I am the great god Khepri who resurrects his enemies to delight in their continued sufferings." The man put his face close to the camera lens. "I am not a patient master, Tau'ri. The price to ransom them is now 200 debens of pure naquadah."

Day 97

"Have you ever had a Senator Robert Kinsey in this base?" Nicholas Rush folded his fingers together.

"That is a very specific question." General Wellesy lit a cigar (courtesy of Kojak.) "What are you getting at?"

"I'm not insinuating anything. There's a survivor on the Alpha Site who claims to be the senator's son: Robert Kinsey junior. He has a driver's license. He claims he came to the SGC with his father and Colonel Maybourne but he hasn't seen his father since. Kinsey Junior has become the most effective spokesman of the 'Military Accountability Party.' I'd remind you the election takes place in only three days."

"We don't keep track of the refugees who move through the stargate." The general puffed a burst of nicotine. "Neither you, nor any reasonable man, can disagree with my reasons for rushing people through. I expect the senator ended up on one of the other colonies."

"That's one explanation. The Military Accountability Party intends to thoroughly investigate the misdeeds of the military-industrial complex. Not just the nuking of earth but the criminal mismanagement of sending thousands of unprepared colonists to Crom, the abolition of women's rights, the rampant pedophilia in the SGC, the genocide in the Land of Light, the liquidation of political threats and the hoarding of resources. My party wants to build infrastructure."

"Is that all you're up to?" Wellesy raised his eyebrow.

"Everyone on the Alpha Site is talking about an alien called Khepri. Evidently, this creature is torturing some of your men and you don't care. This image of indifference you project is hurting my campaign."

"I'll see what I can do. Rush, I have 35,000 refugees stuck on Skyfall. Eight of them have died to rocks falling out of the sky. They're getting shellshocked. A couple hundred have died from eating edible plants that turned out not to be edible but that doesn't bother the rest much. How many can you take a day when this election is done."

"I can process 3,000 a day for fifteen days. General, you shouldn't expect such competency from my rival. His background is politics."

***​

Khepri's demand for 2.72 kilograms of pure naquadah amounted to the base's entire stockpile. Lee and Carter protested such a move. They wanted all naquadah for their plan to build a rocket. It would take the assistance of Rush's team on the Alpha Site but they believed they could send a nuke into orbit to knock out whatever the Ori had floating around up there. On Eudora, Colonel O'Neill observed that he had scraped up the easily available ore leftover from the meteor bombardments near the gate. Thereafter, ore would be much more difficult to acquire. If Khepri meant what he said, he likely possessed a Goa'uld resurrection sarcophagus. Wellesy would very much like to seize it but, without knowing what was on the other side of the gate, he did not dare send a force through. However, if SG-5 returned, they could provide intel on the enemy world.

decisions (open)

A) Assign the naquadah to Carter and Lee's rocket project
    B) Ransom SG-5

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    A

First things first, besides the guy begging for naquadah shouldn’t have much to spare, he will get more reasonable with time.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    B

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. In the episode "foothold" the excuse the aliens made was that there was a chemical leak of tetrachloroethylene that caused Carter to hallucinate.

Since she didn't freak out and say there was none on the base, it's reasonable to assume that it's there.

It may not be as good as nerve gas, but in a pinch it might be ok to use it.

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Tetrachloroethylene
    We really should have just given it to him in the last choice, but this extra bit of intel is all I need to make this choice.

B - The sarcaphugus is vital to future base operations. Resurrecting dead SG members, healing the severely injured, showing our supernatural powers to impress natives, and what better way to keep political threats at bay than by offering them the ultimate bribe: clinical immortality.

Of course, we will need to limit who knows about it, and who uses it and how often, but having this device would be a game changer.

Also, Usury, in addition to the normal MRI checks for devices or symbiant, SG-5 will need psychological testing. Being resurrected over and over again in a sarcophagus can cause addiction and can even be used to brainwash someone. Their security clearance will need to be limited for a time and perhaps tests given to them to make sure that they are still loyal.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Clearly these people are getting comfortable on the alpha site. They need a disaster to make them fear enough to trust us absolutely.

I wonder if we could arrange for more of those tree mimics to make their way to the camp? That or some kind of other threat that wouldn't put the base in too much danger, but would be sufficient to make people afraid for their lives?

What about a traitor in their midst? Someone who is communicating with the aliens in secret? That Kinsey guy for example...

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    A

^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    B
    The fuck is a naquadah anyway

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Space uranium. It’s what the stargate is made out of and is used to power most goa’uld technology. But hey, we have a mine now, so hopefully we can get more of it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Voting for B

I agree with Lambchop's opinions. We need those people back, pronto. We are down a team and we need to be exploring more worlds.

Also lol at Makepeace ruling Crom in our stead like a brooding but just barbarian overlord overseeing gladiator fights.

Seems like its time for us to thrown some help Rush's way. I don't like him, but he clearly doesn't care

If Clemens fucks up in Land of Light, we should really find an excuse to use him as an scapegoat and execute him. Maybourne is a problem, but he's more of an asset right now.

Also, I am not sure that exploding the Ori sattelite is a good idea right now. We have no idea what is being transmitted, to whom, where and how.

Space Super Uranium. The ultimate handy-dandy atomic fuel. Its what almost everyone in Stargate uses to power stuff, especially the Goa'uld. Its also ultra-dense and Stargates are made of the stuff.

Too bad there ins't a drop of it in the solar system.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    What is the status of Earth? How radioactive is it and how long can people survive there? If there is a nuclear winter coming and we can expect people dying and scavenging resources becoming impossible, then we should get a sarcophagus and start relocating off-world. If not, Earth is the best treasure trove and we should get rid of the Ori asap.

• M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Grimgravy Cipher Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    B

^ Top  
  22. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I dunno, here's how the nuking was described:

Whole thing was pretty much the Goa'uld dumping Tsar Bombas in the big cities. Dunno if that makes nuclear winter more likely, or less likely.

'sides, wans't the whole Nuclear Winter data pretty much falsified by Stephen Hawking & co to deliberately stop nuclear war and help the pacifist cause? The consensus today, at least I hear, is less "Nuclear Winter" and more "Nuclear Autumn".

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. false Kalin Arcane

false Kalin
    notes (open)

ERYFKRAD Naquadah is a super heavy element with a decay rate less than the age of the solar system. Thus it doesn't exist around earth, as any samples have deteriorated into other elements through radioactive decay.

Tau'ri is the Goa'uld term for humans who live on Earth.

TOME There's a lot to recap. The Goa'uld hit the planet pretty hard. Some form of nuclear winter is imminent but it is hard to measure how severe it will be. As TBS says, the nuclear winter scare was a bit exaggerated. Carl Sagan used the same calcs to predict a drop in global temperature from Saddam burning the Kuwaiti oil wells but the Earth stayed just as warm. A gentleman on Quora calculated that detonating all of the world's real life stockpile of nukes would kick up less dust than the global average caused by ordinary fires. However, the Goa'uld dropped a lot a lot of megatons, so I expect there will be some such effect, at least a year without a summer.

Day 97

Colonel O'Neill entrenched on a rendezvous planet. No one trusted Khepri enough to let him gate directly to earth. Neither did the System Lord want the Tau'ri sending the ransom naquadah directly to his world, so he gave an intermediary address. O'Neill divided the ransom and sent it one portion at a time, in return receiving one prisoner for each shipment. Dr. Fraser and her assistants examined each restored member of SG-5. On their side, Khepri's servants checked every vial of naquadah. This dragged the whole process out over several hours. After sending the last payoff, the airmen worried that the alien overlord would not honor his deal and free the final prisoner. He might even send a bomb instead. So, the colonel evacuated almost all of the personnel to the SGC. However, Lt. Barber walked through the gate and Fraser could not find any hidden explosive devices secreted on his person.

***​

The gate closed behind O'Neill, Barber, Fraser and two supporting airmen. The staff in the control room applauded. Wellesy rushed up the ramp put his hand on Barber's shoulder.

"Glad to have you back. Well done, Jack." A camera flashed. The general spun around. "Walter, the h-- are you doing? This isn't a photo-op."

The man blinked. "Uh, yes, sir."

In fact, Wellesy had ordered a captain to arrange the photograph without making it look as though the order originated from him. It would circulate on the Alpha Site, along with the story of him telling off Walter, which would make it look genuine rather than staged. He was not much of an actor but the story should inflate itself.

***​

"This won't hurt much." Janet Fraser filled a hypodermic needle with blood from Lt. Barber's arm. "How do you feel psychologically? Any obvious abnormalities? Mood swings? You've been tortured in ways we know nothing about."

"Yeah." Said the lieutenant. "It's weird. Zero pain right now. One of the jaffa beheaded me. Then Khepri brought me back. Healed me in a sarcophagus. Can't even see a scar around my neck. I think I'm better than I was before the mission. They've got a curse called a hundred ways to die. They say each death is worse than the last." He shook faintly.

"Dr. Fraser." Cassandra called her mother to the microscope. "I don't recognize these cells in Barlow's bloodwork."

Janet peered into the lens. There were ordinary red blood cells and a distorted version. No white blood cells. She checked Barber's sample. Again, no white blood cells. Cassie sat down.

"Mom, I'm a little dizzy. Can I take a break?"

"Hold still." Janet drew blood from her daughter.

***​

The phone in his office rang twice. Wellesy picked it up.

"Sir, this is Fraser. We have a serious situation."

"Go on."

"SG-5 brought something back. Half of them are suffering from deformed blood cells. I'm checking my staff but it's already clear a number of us have been infected as well. This appears to be extremely contagious. Please, sir. You need to immediately lock down all base doors."

"I'm on it." Wellesy pressed the hold button and dialed ALLCOMM. "This is general Wellesy." His voice boomed over all the intercoms. "Code wildfire. Initiate medical lockdown." He switched back to Fraser. "What are we looking at?"

"I don't know but it seems to convert a number of the body's blood cells into hostile entities. First they destroy the white blood cells, then they start attacking the other organs. If anything, it looks like a rapid acting and virulent analogue of AIDS. Cassie's positive and already ill. I'm positive. O'Neill is positive. Sir, you probably have it too. You greeted Barber at the gate."

The general tapped his desk. "We can still selectively open the doors. I can reach medical without coming into contact with anyone else."

"Bad idea. If you don't already have it, you're very likely to catch it here. Sir, I don't think we can stop this."

"You have to. I can't lose my medical staff, the team we just ransomed and whatever percentage of the base has already been infected. Look, this acts fast. I don't think Khepri realized we would detect it so quickly. We've better medicine than he counted on."

"It's one thing to diagnose. I don't even know how to start fixing this."

"I'm counting on you."

He slammed the phone. Other options rose to the front of his mind. The Prior could likely heal them but he would demand conversion. What would life be like as a vassal to the Ori? They could feign conversion and deal with the Prior afterwards. There was also the sarcophagus but the rescued prisoners in their worsening state could not give a proper intel report and the regular army soldiers had not yet been trained in anti-jaffa tactics. Sending a force through without proper preparation could result in a massacre. Then there was the issue that they might not be able to operate the sarcophagus.

Worse still, as long as the lockdown was in place, the refugees General Kojak was sending from Fort Riley would pile up on top of the mountain.

Wellesy pressed his hand to his temple. He was sweating blood.

decisions (open)

A1) Trust Fraser and the medical staff to find a solution
    A2) Ask the Prior for healing
    A3) Order a hasty raid on Khepri's world

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    A3

Let’s go out in a blaze of glory.

ps
    Congratulations Lambchop19

• Funny Funny x 4
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    System lord diplomacy makes as much sense as rat diplomacy, the xenos are treasonous cunts even against each other.

A1) Fraser will cure it, we will lose some people, but we should carefully plot our revenge.

Seems like nanites anyway, should just blast it with some EMP. Maybe Zat-guns would work?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.