Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age 2 Announced

Fomorian

Novice
Mangoose said:
Fomorian said:
Okay again going back to the hypothetical Diablo II example if you can skip a boss battle at the end or can choose a different set of enemies to fight does the quest have multiple solutions?
You tell me. If you have a choice on who to fight, in other words, which set of enemies your skills can deal with easier, is that not an example of multiple solutions?

I like how you have to add in that it's Diablo II, as if that has any bearing on the argument. Trying to subliminally argue that there are no multiple solutions because it's a simple hack & slash game. It's not as if the lack of choice in Diablo II is for the unrelated reason that you're intended to take out every single enemy anyway in order to maximize loot and experience.

Nope. Different combat paths maybe. You can choose (C&C!) which fights you want but there remains only one way to solve the quest: combat.

I was only using Diablo II since that's where the example started. You can use a Codex favorite like BG II if you'd prefer. Does the quest have multiple solutions if you can choose to fight 3 beholders or 3 mindflayers?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Roxor said:
Vault Dweller said:
I can miss something, but I guess I'm more thorough than you. For example, if I see some islands I would immediately go there and investigate

I also have this, but I got it 'recently', so to speak ;) that playthrough of G2 was after a longer pause from the game, and I remember each time before when I was looking at them I thought 'maybe I should hike there...? Ah, nah, they're probably just art-deco or something'. Nowadays I usually go through everything I see, but it was not always the case.

Well, in games like Gothic or Morrowind I usually like to explore the outskirts of the map. If there's any island you have to swim to, or a large mountain range, it's probable there's something on that island/a cave in the mountain.

Found some of the most interesting places of Gothic 3 that way.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Fomorian said:
Mangoose said:
Fomorian said:
Okay again going back to the hypothetical Diablo II example if you can skip a boss battle at the end or can choose a different set of enemies to fight does the quest have multiple solutions?
You tell me. If you have a choice on who to fight, in other words, which set of enemies your skills can deal with easier, is that not an example of multiple solutions?

I like how you have to add in that it's Diablo II, as if that has any bearing on the argument. Trying to subliminally argue that there are no multiple solutions because it's a simple hack & slash game. It's not as if the lack of choice in Diablo II is for the unrelated reason that you're intended to take out every single enemy anyway in order to maximize loot and experience.

Nope. Different combat paths maybe. You can choose (C&C!) which fights you want but there remains only one way to solve the quest: combat.

I was only using Diablo II since that's where the example started. You can use a Codex favorite like BG II if you'd prefer. Does the quest have multiple solutions if you can choose to fight 3 beholders or 3 mindflayers?
I'm sorry you're a mindless twat who can't think about abstraction, then, because combat is a variable concept that can be split into many different gameplay aspects. Either that, or you're a third-worlder who doesn't understand what the word "solution" is. Just because the methods are similar does not mean there is only one solution. You can solve 2x3 in two ways -> 2 + 2 + 2 or 3 + 3. But oh noes those must be the exact same solution because there is only one way to solve the expression: Addition!

Multiple solutions does not require multiple gameplay paths - that is just multiple gameplay paths. Or we can take your retarded logic to the next level and say that there is only one way to solve a quest in FO, and that is by sitting at your computer!

I already got VD to agree that the advantage of FO is that "each solution uses different methods of gameplay." Which really is your argument. But of course you can't do the same because you're being a pedantic dickfucker hung up on semantics with a child's grasp of the English language.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom