Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age diffculty

v1rus

Arcane
Gonna replay it, and do Awakening this time too.

Which difficulty should I choose tho? Im going mage into arcane warrior. Id like challenge, but no bullshit grinding for hours.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
giphy.gif

v1rus

Arcane
giphy.gif

I dont know, been working a lot these days, and at the same time, I wanna play a rpg in my free time. Since Im usually braindead after finishing work, no PF Kingamker for instance, and DA:O seems like a perfect fit for a light, formulaic, sorta silly RPG with some cool aspects.

Actually, what I need is Jade Empire, but Ive completed that one like, a year ago, so its too early for a replay, and this hits close.

Yosharian

Arcane
I've completed this game several times on the hardest setting, there are many ways to do it and it's not that hard if you know what you're doing. I've done it with zero spellcasters.

The hardest difficulty isn't about grinding but about knowing how to play, what abilities to use, where to get items and so on.

If you're unfamiliar with the game I'd probably choose the next one down, it can be rough when you don't know what you're doing.

Yosharian

Arcane
As for the game itself, it's a very good RPG, just not the BG2 successor it claimed it was. Try to appreciate it for what it is and look past its flaws.

It's fucking miles better than DA2 or that abomination DA:I that's for sure.

Oh and make sure you get Shale. She's fucking awesome.

v1rus

Arcane
I've completed this game several times on the hardest setting, there are many ways to do it and it's not that hard if you know what you're doing. I've done it with zero spellcasters.

The hardest difficulty isn't about grinding but about knowing how to play, what abilities to use, where to get items and so on.

If you're unfamiliar with the game I'd probably choose the next one down, it can be rough when you don't know what you're doing.

I beat it once, but it was on release. Ty! Think ill start with Nightmare, then switch down if it gets tedious. I also seem to remember mages are op. Perhaps ill even mange nightmare to the end, if I google some builds, or rather, which spells to pick.

Yosharian

Arcane

I beat it once, but it was on release. Ty! Think ill start with Nightmare, then switch down if it gets tedious. I also seem to remember mages are op. Perhaps ill even mange nightmare to the end, if I google some builds, or rather, which spells to pick.
Yeah mages are insane which is why I made my last play through without them. They are super fun though.

I wish I wrote down my old builds, I can't remember any of them

v1rus

Arcane
Oh and make sure you get Shale.

Always do. Bioware always managed to make wacky robots/golems fun, and she always reminded me of HK-47 and Legion.

Are DA2 and DAI that bad really? I was sorta thinking of doing the whole save transfer thing, if the first one doesnt overstay its welcome.

Yosharian

Arcane
I can appreciate DA2 for what it is, but it isn't anywhere near as good as DA:O

DA:I is a disgusting pos and anyone who likes it should be taken outside and shot in the face with a high calibre handgun.

v1rus

Arcane

Any specific order for quest zones? People keep saying you should do it Mage Tower -> Redcliffe -> Elves -> Orzammar, but I'd pretty much do it the reverse way. I like doing Orzammar first to get it off the way, and to get the drunk dwarf bro, then elves so i could get arcane warrior. If Im on nightmare, will Orzammar be too tough?

deama

Prophet

Which difficulty should I choose tho? Im going mage into arcane warrior. Id like challenge, but no bullshit grinding for hours.
There's a problem in that game in that it's got level scaling.
Basically if you enter an area for the first time, it will use your current level to calculate the enemy's levels, so what you can end up doing is visiting each area at least once, then pick you're preferred area, but that would make things too easy later on, probably.
I remember several years ago when I was replaying it, I was very high level and visited one place for the first time, and then got really confused why a bunch of trash mobs were stronger than some of the bosses I fought before.

You might be able to find a mod to fix it, I remember fixing it myself back when I replayed it again (earlier this year), but forgot how I fixed it, either a mod I found or I gave myself something like 2x or 3x more attributes per level, as well as unlock all skill trees for all characters.

Yosharian

Arcane
DA:I is a disgusting pos and anyone who likes it should be taken outside and shot in the face with a high calibre handgun.
What exactly you don't like about DA:I? Help me understand this.
why don't YOU post the things you like about it, and i'll explain why you're wrong

if i posted everything i dislike about DA:I I'd have a gandalf beard by the time i was finished

Old Hans

Arcane

Always do. Bioware always managed to make wacky robots/golems fun, and she always reminded me of HK-47 and Legion.

Are DA2 and DAI that bad really? I was sorta thinking of doing the whole save transfer thing, if the first one doesnt overstay its welcome.
I thought DAI was pretty decent, but not in the way where you think "man I can't wait to see what happens next in the story" It is very modern mmo centric style game, full of pointless collection quests, where you start to think to yourself "what is the point of any of this shit"

Falksi

Arcane
Nightmare is by far & away the most fun IMO. But Arcane Warrior is dull as fuck regardless of the difficulty.

I'd say do a Nightmare Duel Wield Rogue or Mage run instead.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

Nightmare. IF you are playing a mage/arcane warrior it's going to get so easy that it will be boring about 3/4 of the way through the original game. Arcane warrior is the most OP shit ever. If you want a challenge, play as a warrior or rogue on nightmare.

Eastwood

Educated
Any specific order for quest zones? People keep saying you should do it Mage Tower -> Redcliffe -> Elves -> Orzammar, but I'd pretty much do it the reverse way. I like doing Orzammar first to get it off the way, and to get the drunk dwarf bro, then elves so i could get arcane warrior. If Im on nightmare, will Orzammar be too tough?
With my Arcane Warrior nightmare run, I did mage tower first for the stat boosts that you're gonna need for melee combat. Then Elves, as I had not unlocked AW yet (Can be pretty hard at that point, especially the optional revenants). After that, Redcliffe for Blood Mage and then Orzammar.
Arcane warrior is really strong if built right, so you should have no problems on Nightmare.

visions

Arcane
Found the second hardest difficulty too easy after the early game and I only had one mage. PC was a dual-wielding rogue (later assassin). I quit playing when I was supposed to go to Landsmeet though. Maybe I should have played on Nightmare but I feared that it might devolve to tedious HP bloated grind and I dislike changing difficulty settings midgame.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Don't listen to the phaggots on here. It's a great game. Play on hard then nightmare. There are some legit as fuck encounters on nightmare. The Warden Tower, IIRC... well, the one where you meet that dead phantom woman... I think it was called the Warden Tower DLC. Anyways, she drops a rare shield, but you have to kill her several times because it's a rare drop. That fight is quite fucking rough doing it over and over on nightmare. Morrigan's cone of cold helps out so fucking much.

You'll love the Golems of Amgarrak DLC. That is probably one of the best things I've ever played. IDK who directed it, but the atmosphere is fucking intense, and the encounters are ridiculously difficult and fun. Again, I'd say to play the basegame on hard for a bit to get your bearings then come back and play the entire thing on nightmare.

Best build has to be arcane warrior, though. FML, I absolutely loved that build. Going to the front line and throwing a boulder or fucking firebomb before you rush into an encounter. Shit like that never gets old. Two-handed Reaver, IIRC, is another really fun build.

Found the second hardest difficulty too easy after the early game and I only had one mage. PC was a dual-wielding rogue (later assassin). I quit playing when I was supposed to go to Landsmeet though. Maybe I should have played on Nightmare but I feared that it might devolve to tedious HP bloated grind and I dislike changing difficulty settings midgame.

No, it doesn't bloat the enemies to make the encounters longer, IIRC. Not played in forever, but I'm sure what they do is add more enemies, and these added enemies have stun-lock capabilities. I never thought that nightmare just involved HP bloat. It felt legit more challenging than that.

Nightmare is by far & away the most fun IMO. But Arcane Warrior is dull as fuck regardless of the difficulty.

I'd say do a Nightmare Duel Wield Rogue or Mage run instead.

Depends on how you play them. If you're min-maxing like a fucking autist, then yeah, it's no better than just picking a regular mage. I've seen builds that have them with staffs and shit. At that point, just pick a fucking mage. I used mine with heavy armor, S&B, as a sort of off-tank with control capabilites alongside Alastair. IIRC, you use those stamina and/or mana regen shields and armor.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I've never played any of the sequels. I played the demo for DA2, and FML, it was the worst thing I've ever seen. Just a complete 180. After that, I just looked at DA: O as a single entry. Would've made a really fucking great franchise if they didn't completely ruin it and go the Mass Effect-lite route.

Absinthe

Arcane
As for the game itself, it's a very good RPG, just not the BG2 successor it claimed it was. Try to appreciate it for what it is and look past its flaws.
DAO is more on the acceptable side of mediocre, especially once you mod it. It wasn't "very good."

Fuck Awakening. Do sea's mod Thirst instead.

Arcane Warrior Mage is pretty much easy mode, except your Arcane Warrior is just going to be a spellcaster in plate, since Arcane Warrior offers jack shit in terms of attack abilities, you can't cast with most weapons in hand, and it is just a pure set of tanking abilities to make your Mage an unkillable juggernaut that outtanks everything, so you generally end up just using a staff and spellcasting in plate. For bonus points get 12 strength and the Rock Armor spell so you can wear a leather armor set in Ostagar and have more armor than anyone (with a bit more strength you can wear the heavier armor sets too). Aside from that I recommend you put all your stat points into Magic since it also pumps your healing and mana potions so really, it's the only stat you need (except for a smidge of Cunning to get Coercion up). Play Nightmare difficulty, and contemplate installing Slinks S3 Ravage if you want a challenge and you may want to install the Grease Fire un-nerf (but Grease Fire is pretty broken pre-nerf if you use it yourself and utterly worthless after they stealth nerfed it in 1.04; mostly this is recommended because there is a memorable Tower of Ishal fight where enemies use Grease Fire against your party and if you play with the nerfed version that fight is just a stupid joke).

For pure bugfixing, I recommend installing Dain's Fixes, Qwinn's Ultimate Fixpack, and Two Specializations Sten. You might also want to install Detailed Tooltips and Advanced Tactics. Definitely get ready to either edit their tactics or disable them (if you want to disable tactics, it's best to empty their tactics slots but leave tactics active so they still autoattack properly) and manually control the party. With manual party control the game gets pretty easy.

Paging Lilura to add DAO mod recommendations.

Last edited:
I still recall doing this Assassin build with a ridiculously high ranged dmg output that could down pretty much every boss in a manner of dozen seconds or so on nightmare. Arcane Warrior is fun to play as well if done right, though I recall it being overpowered as fuck.

J1M

Arcane

The endless deeps are more enjoyable to fight through when your team has more abilities.

Also, I would recommend the second hardest difficulty. If I was to play the game a second time I'd try a 3-mage party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom