Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Hell, enemies don't even use skills"

Do you mean skills which are mostly non combat focused or actual talenst which are combat focused because enmies most certainly use talents and they sue them all the fucking time.

Mystary!

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
I couldn't see how you can tell that a weapon is upgradable other than giving it to that dwarf retard savant in the camp that does the enchanting, then it shows up in the list. So far I only had a couple of named swords that could be upgraded at all.
In the weapon toolstip, under all the properties, there should be empty squares (enhancements slots). Easy to miss because they're so dark.

Altoholic

Novice
Volourn said:

Do you mean skills which are mostly non combat focused or actual talenst which are combat focused because enmies most certainly use talents and they sue them all the fucking time.

Is Volourn illiterate or just drunk?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Altoholic said:
Volourn said:

Is Volourn illiterate or just drunk?

He's like this all the time.

made

Arcane
Lavoisier said:
made said:
They have an explanation of the difficulty scaling over here:
http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/ ... ge_scaling

Looks sensible to me. I went to the forest after I finished Orzammar and it was noticeably easier than the endless orc infested tunnels.

Honest question about the deep roads (the tunnels you mentioned), when I go in them a map appears but there's only one location in it (and I've explored it extensively) and still haven't found the kid that supposedly got lost there. What gives, did I miss an entrance to another level or something? By the way do monsters respawn?

Yea like the other guy said, there's 5 or so areas down there, most of which open up once you are on the associated quest. Enemies don't respawn btw.

Balthamael

Liturgist
Liking the game so far.

The Redcliffe demon possession was pretty cool quest. And I guess getting a major hit with Alistair's approval later fits as well. Nobody likes a guy who can kill a kid, even if it is literally the only correct thing to do. I only wish that they'd have a given a dialogue option for pointing out that if we go chasing shadows and leave the demon free to fuck things up further, many, many, more are going to die. Is one kid's life somehow more valuable than the lives of the villagers? Particularly since there was no guarantee that the circle of the Magi would even be willing to help in the first place.

I am curious though. Would anything bad have happened if I indeed went chasing will-o-wisp's and left the demon there like Alistair apparently would have wanted?

Project: Eternity
Balthamael said:
Particularly since there was no guarantee that the circle of the Magi would even be willing to help in the first place.

I am curious though. Would anything bad have happened if I indeed went chasing will-o-wisp's and left the demon there like Alistair apparently would have wanted?

I'll spoiler this just in case.

I played as a mage and went to the Circle Tower right after this quest with the promise I'd get them to help. Would have been cool if something had happened while you were away talking to the mages, but it didn't. And as far as I can see they never actually say no to your request either.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I just switched back to hard cause the game was raping me too hard at times with my completely unoptimized party, it was getting pretty frustrating. I'll try nightmare on my next playthrough since I'll know how the game works better by then.

By the way is anyone else dirt poor like me? Might just be because Zevran can't even pick my high school locker and so I'm not opening any chests.

Project: Eternity
Gold is fairly scarce from what I've seen. I had like 10 or 16 or so gold at maximum, which I ended up spending mostly for hoarding lyrium potions since those are pretty scarce as well.

And the chests barely ever contain that much gold or even good loot, I don't think you missed that much.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Multi-headed Cow said:
I've got some C&C for you guys.

I'm having a good time with it so far. Getting covered in blood a lot, fucked a couple dwarf whores in the first 20 minutes.

I wasnt the only female Dwarf?

Multi-headed Cow

Kaanyrvhok said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
I've got some C&C for you guys.

I'm having a good time with it so far. Getting covered in blood a lot, fucked a couple dwarf whores in the first 20 minutes.

I wasnt the only female Dwarf?
I was a male dwarf. I was talking about the noble-hunters.
Annonchinil said:
So, anybody here tried the romances?
As a matter of fact, yes.
egad.jpg

Nael

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
Gold is fairly scarce from what I've seen. I had like 10 or 16 or so gold at maximum, which I ended up spending mostly for hoarding lyrium potions since those are pretty scarce as well.

And the chests barely ever contain that much gold or even good loot, I don't think you missed that much.

Locked chests don't contain any better loot than the unlocked. You're not missing much. DA isn't a very loot heavy game.

Most of the good loot I found comes from sarcophagi in Deep Roads and the Werewolf lair, and bosses.

Locked chests are just there for a little bit of extra XP tbh.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Nael said:
Freelance Henchman said:

Locked chests don't contain any better loot than the unlocked. You're not missing much. DA isn't a very loot heavy game.

Most of the good loot I found comes from sarcophagi in Deep Roads and the Werewolf lair, and bosses.

Locked chests are just there for a little bit of extra XP tbh.

Fuck I could've used this info before I wasted one of the gay elf's skills on lockpicking/trapdisarming. Kind of bugs me that my elf and morrigan still have their exact same armor from the beginning of the game. Kind of refreshing that there isn't gold everywhere though. Oh and I feel badass playing a reaver that consume souls (or whatever it's called) saved my life more than a few times.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I heard Bioware saying this game was heavily influenced by GRRM "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

I don't really see it though having read the first 2 books...but maybe Im not far enough into the game.

Only things I can see that are similar are the Others with the army of the dead coming from the north is similar to the Blight, but I think thats pretty standard fantasy fare (ancient enemy coming to destroy the world).

It's been a couple of years since I read the books though.

Anyone else see similarities?

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Nightmare. Three mages and one rogue. Oh yeah ownage! Hex spells along with spell combos equal I win button. Use stonefist, earthquake, mind blast, horror, sleep, glyph of paralysis and glyph of repulsion one on top of the other. Hex bosses and blast everything in site. Is easy game. Force field is nice too. Buy lots of lyrium dust, flasks, make potions. My party PC is mage, morrigan, wynne, and Leliana. Walk through every fight. Mind blast is fun, fireball after fireball is fun too. Stonefist knockdown and damage. Vulnerability hex+drain life equal heal and damage at same time is very nice. Chaining fireballs is fun. Oh look at that my first mage has timer cool down :D. Chain and kill everything muahahhahahaha and stuff.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Volourn said:

Exactly. By skills I mean skills, the things rogues get every 2 levels and other classes get every 3. This includes combat related ones like poisons and, uh.... posions.

Okay, so that doesn't make much difference.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Lavoisier said:
I think they mean the mature/dark/gritty/EXTREME(?) aspect of it.

Well if that's true from what I have seen in the game they don't get the GRRM Books at all. It's not about the sex and blood. They were more about not knowing when a character was going to die, the brutality, the low magic setting, and the war of the roses style factions fighting for the throne.

I dont feel any of that in DA, it feels like generic fantasy with lots of blood (Which I turned off). That being said they did provide alot of background lore into the game.

I am enjoying the game though minus the things I dont like about it.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I am deeply disturbed by the fact that, for the premise of the game to work, Loghain must be this super evil guy. He's definitely crossed the practical evil kind of guy, he just seems to stuff kittens into bags and toss them in the river for the giggles.

It won a few points at the end, though.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
Lavoisier said:
I think they mean the mature/dark/gritty/EXTREME(?) aspect of it.

Well if that's true from what I have seen in the game they don't get the GRRM Books at all. It's not about the sex and blood. They were more about not knowing when a character was going to die, the brutality, the low magic setting, and the war of the roses style factions fighting for the throne.

I dont feel any of that in DA, it feels like generic fantasy with lots of blood (Which I turned off). That being said they did provide alot of background lore into the game.

I am enjoying the game though minus the things I dont like about it.

Well honestly it is brutal, you don't know when people are gonna die (I definitely thought at least Duncan would survive), there's a bit of political intrigue from what I can gather (please no spoilers still fairly in the beginning here), mages are supposedly rare and dangerous (at least that was the original concept), and so far I haven't seen much phat lewt (actually any at all, then again still in the beginning). Also I don't think the sex and blood part was in the plans when they compared it to the GRRM Books.

By the way I don't get why people talk so much about the setting being generic. Doesn't feel that way to me, then again I have little experience with fantasy (I can only think of LOTR and D&D right now) so maybe that's why I don't get that feel. Overall I think you can tell a lot of effort went into the setting and lore.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Saxon1974 said:
I heard Bioware saying this game was heavily influenced by GRRM "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

I don't really see it though having read the first 2 books...but maybe Im not far enough into the game.

Only things I can see that are similar are the Others with the army of the dead coming from the north is similar to the Blight, but I think thats pretty standard fantasy fare (ancient enemy coming to destroy the world).

It's been a couple of years since I read the books though.

Anyone else see similarities?

There are a few "Martin moments" in the game, but ASOIAF isn't the only influence. Wardens = Night watch, blight = the Others, Alistair is a bastard with similar background to Jon Snow, there is the treachery in the opening chapter. Some parts bear similarities to LOTR, but finally it's Gaider doing his thing, for better or for worse, depending on the perspective.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Multi-headed Cow said:
I was a male dwarf. I was talking about the noble-hunters.

Oh I was common folk. My sister was a whore.

The first question in the Dwarf commoner dialog was the best piece of dialog so far.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Are those 80-120g items at some vendors just a cocktease or do you actually amass enough monies at some point to afford some of them? So far (lvl 12) what little I've managed to gather has gone just as easily, and that's only after buying the bare essential recipes (health & mana pots) and 1 skill book.

There's still lots of recipes and books to buy, so unless there's some 50g chests somewhere...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom