Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age is too hard; 1st patch makes it easier

doctor_kaz said:
When I was playing Dragon Age, my party got ambushed in the forest while I was on the world map. A group of archers and a handful of goons attacked me. The archers launched that party stun arrow attack (scatter shot?) and then the enemy boss plus a few goons closed in. Two of my guys were dead in about five seconds and the next two guys were dead about five seconds later. So yeah, the game is really easy.

It would be more accurate to say that the game is massively unbalanced. When the enemy, by pure chance, happens to take advantage of the unbalanced skills while simultaneously positioning themselves smart and attacking the right targets, it gets hard. Otherwise, its easy. I never encountered such an ambush, or if I did the enemies didn't decide to lolstomp me and instead used shitty useless skills like they normally do. Or maybe I simply made my save against the very first arrow and then I stunned their entire group with a spell so they couldn't try again. Who knows?

Another example: That skill that instantly sucks away all of a mages magic and then kills them with it? You can beat any mage battle with it. EXCEPT, when the opponent has it as well. They can cast it faster then you, and you die instantly. UNLESS, you use your save/reload knowledge to pre-drain your magic so it can't be used against you. So yeah, stupid combat.

It's a problem that's bound to come up when ANY character can access ANY of the skills even at levels 1 or 2. Without requiring characters to actually level to obtain the best spells, you make it so any shitface you meet can be a godlike boss or a piss easy stepping stone. It's roughly equivalent to letting D&D characters start taking spells like Wail of the Banshee at level 2. Or imagine what Arcanum would be like (it has possibly the most similar skill gaining method, the difference being it HAS STAT REQUIREMENTS) if you could start out with the highest level spell in any of the tree's you like.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It's a problem that's bound to come up when ANY character can access ANY of the skills even at levels 1 or 2."

Which 'game breaking spells' are available in DA level 1 or 2?

Overweight Manatee said:
Another example: That skill that instantly sucks away all of a mages magic and then kills them with it? You can beat any mage battle with it. EXCEPT, when the opponent has it as well. They can cast it faster then you, and you die instantly. UNLESS, you use your save/reload knowledge to pre-drain your magic so it can't be used against you. So yeah, stupid combat.

Hm? My brother is a fuckin' 13 year old and I never saw him resort to this. I'm not even sure he uses the spell himself, he told me it was too broken. He also uses Morrigan + Wynne.

edit: nvm, I think he plays on normal so maybe its different for him

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom