Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age is too hard; 1st patch makes it easier

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Dragon Age

According to <a href="http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/11/06/download-dragon-age-origins-v1-01a-patch/">the patch notes</a>:
<br>
<blockquote> * Fixed potential corruption of character statistics
<br>
* Fixed portrait appearance sliders when importing a character from the downloadable
<br>
* Character Creator Fixed import for preset face settings from the downloadable
<br>
* <b>Character Creator Made Easy difficulty easier</b>
<br>
* <b>Slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty</b>
<br>
* Fixed video issues when running on a very wide screen display, including ATI Eyefinity displays</blockquote>
<br>
lulz.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>SuicideBunny</b>!

circ

Arcane
Nice priorities there BioWare. Instead of say I don't know, putting together a team to redesign the armor and textures and dildoswords, you make a stupidly easy game even easier. Well, I guess the BioWare fans spoke and you listened.

Dicksmoker said:
Well at least they didn't touch the harder difficulties.
Indeed. Bioware reacted pretty well to the (stupid) reviewers who pretty much universally bashed the game for requiring more thought then Diablo 2.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Different game but that reminds me of the morons who now complain that the first patch for Torchlight made enchanting less overpowered by raising the cost as well as the failure rate by 2% for each new enchant on each item.

I wonder how many of you found it easy on the hardest setting. And it's perfectly fine to make the easy difficulty setting a stroll on the beach, DAO is blatantly designed for people who want to spend more time reading, role playing and talking than actually playing the game for the combat.

CrusaderTemplar

Liturgist
Nightmare is easy =/ I did spend most of the time reading and just finished the game today. Then I had to finish it 2 more times using previous saves to see the endings. I'm thinking the 4th one might need to be backtrack a whole lot.

CrusaderTemplar said:
Nightmare is easy =/ I did spend most of the time reading and just finished the game today. Then I had to finish it 2 more times using previous saves to see the endings. I'm thinking the 4th one might need to be backtrack a whole lot.

Didn't it only come out a few days ago? And you have finished it 3 times? How short is this thing?

M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
I wonder how many of you found it easy on the hardest setting. And it's perfectly fine to make the easy difficulty setting a stroll on the beach, DAO is blatantly designed for people who want to spend more time reading, role playing and talking than actually playing the game for the combat.

It feels moderately challenging as a mage so far (@ 20% completion), if I restarted now knowing how the system works and how to maximize character power it would probably be pretty easy. But I feel playing a warrior would be a bit harder and rogues would be significantly harder, unless there is something I'm missing. At the least, it would require a lot more micromanagment.

aries202

Erudite
Easy really should be easy as in "I just want to play this game for the story" and "I just want to have (more) fun in combat i.e. running and gunning people and monsters down"

From what I've seen this

"Slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty."

feature (of the patch) does not make the game that much easier. Anyway, if you, on normal, find the game, to easy, please crank up the difficulty to hardcore or nightmare...

Don't demean others that play on the easy difficulty...

Nael

Arcane
aries202 said:
Easy really should be easy as in "I just want to play this game for the story" and "I just want to have (more) fun in combat i.e. running and gunning people and monsters down"

From what I've seen this

"Slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty."

feature (of the patch) does not make the game that much easier. Anyway, if you, on normal, find the game, to easy, please crank up the difficulty to hardcore or nightmare...

Don't demean others that play on the easy difficulty...

Agreed. I played it on Hard, but I turned it down to normal first, and then to easy for the defense of Red Cliff part because I wanted to try and finish it without losing any of the defenders. I didn't see much difference between Normal and Easy. So this patch makes some sense from my experience.

ChristofferC

Magister
Maybe I can progress in the game after installing this patch. I've reached a fight against 12 trash mobs, one mage and a boss guy. The boss guy two shots my tank and one shots my other characters on easy. :(

EDIT: yay I did it

MapMan

Arcane
Im playing the game on hard as a dwarf warrior tank. From what I learned already, playing mage is the easiest. Some fights were really hard and I had to abuse to win(Taunt + run around while rest of the team kills the mob(s) ).

Yeah, I'm playing on hard, but have on occasion had to switch to normal due to a party lineup that isn't suited to the task at hand (e.g. going into the redcliffe defence against the swarms of mobs with only one mage and precious little AoE disables). I've noticed a lot of people complaining about difficulty (on official forums and gamefaqs) weren't complaining about global difficulty, but rather difficulty spikes. They could have done a lot more to help those players by improving the class balance, as the same fight can vary from a cakewalk to nigh-impossible depending on your party balance, even when comparing lineups that on paper seem balanced: e.g. 1 tank, 1 dps-warrior, 1 archer, 1 mage is awesome vs bosses (give you just enough cc, great single-target 'focus-fire' damage, and pinning shot to enable kiting of strong melee bosses) but horrible vs swarms of monsters (not enough cc, difficult to draw mobs off both the mage and archer, espec as archer doesn't have 'get-away' spells and instastuns). Whereas 2 warrior, 2 mage makes swarms absolutely trivial due to mass cc, combined AoE damage, good healing and easy to keep aggro on the warriors due to AoE stuns, but makes some boss fights unnecessarily hard.

You could keep normal difficulty as is, or even raise the difficulty somewhat, whilst giving rogues/archers an option for dropping aggro or escaping a melee combat (e.g. a 'hide in plain sight' talent - unlike mages, this wouldn't have any stun/damage effect on the opponents - it just gets you away from them once per battle), and giving warriors a DnD-style paladin build, where they can get something equivalent to the first tier healing spell - again it's far too weak to really being stealing relevance away from the mages, but it would just mean that any build that looks like it 'should' be viable on paper actually is viable.

Lothers

Scholar
............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,›
................./......................................................,:`^`..›
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........‹.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,›,.~”;/....›
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....›............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........›.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\ ....................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.....................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==`.......`
........................................_\..........._,-%.......` ..............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\............

I've never died on normal, 40% of the game. I wonder what person could find it difficult on easy.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Lothers said:
I wonder what person could find it difficulty on easy.
girlgamer.jpg

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Azrael the cat said:
They could have done a lot more to help those players by improving the class balance, as the same fight can vary from a cakewalk to nigh-impossible depending on your party balance, even when comparing lineups that on paper seem balanced: e.g. 1 tank, 1 dps-warrior, 1 archer, 1 mage is awesome vs bosses (give you just enough cc, great single-target 'focus-fire' damage, and pinning shot to enable kiting of strong melee bosses) but horrible vs swarms of monsters (not enough cc, difficult to draw mobs off both the mage and archer, espec as archer doesn't have 'get-away' spells and instastuns). Whereas 2 warrior, 2 mage makes swarms absolutely trivial due to mass cc, combined AoE damage, good healing and easy to keep aggro on the warriors due to AoE stuns, but makes some boss fights unnecessarily hard.

I'm not really seeing the problem here. Seems to me they've kept the game from having that "one true party" that excels at everything. Your party combinations will excel against certain enemy combinations but be at a disadvantage against others.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Boyarpunk said:
racofer said:
Lothers said:
I wonder what person could find it difficulty on easy.
girlgamer.jpg

I love those generic "girl gamer" photos that unrealistically depict ggs as modeleque hotties.

We all know real girl gamers are more:

gamer%20chick.jpg

Yeah, the gaming girls that look like the first picture usually play games on the PC and usually prefer turn-based to realtime.
True story actually since I know some (mostly Eastern European) girls who like turnbased strategy (especially Heroes 3).

Zeus

Cipher
aries202 said:

Yeah, I agree. There should be a mode for people who don't like any challenge (Easy), a mode for people who love challenge (Hard) and a mode for people who are too lazy to select the difficulty (Normal).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom