Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age - New patch released

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Lesifoere said:
I never experienced CTD's. This may have something to do with the fact that I had to restart my game constantly thanks to memory leaks causing slow-downs.

I had no problems at all with DA, granted all my Motherboard and Chip-set and video drivers are always up to date.

That memory leak is probably because you were using the not taken from inventory version. I purchased DA:O.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After a while, the loading times just became too long. Dunno why, considering I got 3 gigs of RAM. Maybe I should try the patch. But it doesn't matter much since I'm close to the end anyways (fighting Darkspawn in the besieged Denerim).

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Jaesun said:
Lesifoere said:
I never experienced CTD's. This may have something to do with the fact that I had to restart my game constantly thanks to memory leaks causing slow-downs.

I had no problems at all with DA, granted all my Motherboard and Chip-set and video drivers are always up to date.

That memory leak is probably because you were using the not taken from inventory version. I purchased DA:O.

Nice try, but many people who purchased it also experienced the memory leak.

Jarl: 4 gigs here.

made

Arcane
Silellak said:
made said:
Some decent changes in there, though it makes you wonder how the shit could pass QA in the first place.

Still not enough to make me want to replay it, though.
Really? There are plenty of things to criticize DA about, but I don't think being a bug-filled mess that QA should be hung for is one of them.

It's one of the most polished and bug-free PC games I've played in years, if not ever. I think I had two CTD's in my 80+ hours of playing so far. Sure, those things snuck by QA, but when you consider the sheer size of the game and the number of things that needed testing, that's a pretty trivial list of issues.

It was fine from a technical standpoint. I only had a few crashes as well, mostly at the start of the game, but then there was the memory leak, which the patch surprisingly doesn't address.

What I was referring to is the dagger bug, or the 30 sec duration/30 second cooldown immunity forcefield, or sustained buffs turning themselves off on area transitions etc. It's nice that it#s getting fixed, but you can't tell me none of the testers noticed those issues while playing.

1eyedking

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
I explained why. Haven't seen you addressing my arguments though.
Oh, the famous Redcliffe quest; a quest almost in the level of Megaton moronity. Good argument.

Explain to me what makes the "choices" so different from one another, and more importantly their outcome. This is nothing but the legendary "fake BioWare C&C" at work, VD. You kill the child, the curse ends. You kill the mother, kill the demon, the curse ends. You don't kill anyone, kill the demon, the curse ends. You don't kill the demon, the curse ends. Anywhere in between you can let the demon keep the boy to no effect on those outside. The outcome is always the same (Landsmeet, etc.).

Hell, if you want the Blood Mage skill you can always get it and reload since it's just an unlockable. DA's choices are truly hardcore and world-changing.

:roll:

PS: In before "It's part of the main storyline how else is it supposed to work?" dumbfuckery.

Vault Dweller said:
Also, "the best since" doesn't mean "as good as". In case you were, like, wondering.
Remember Bloodlines?

I'm aware of the difference, yes, but it's an insult to mention Arcanum and Dragon Age in the same line. Dragon Age gets nowhere near the level of writing, C&C, and character design that Arcanum packs, or Bloodlines for that matter.

Don't even get me started on how Bloodlines' quests were designed and handled. It might have been a quite unpolished game, but it's miles beyond the crap that Dragon Age is.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
DA is better than both ARC and bL... and, I liked both of those games. BL had some of the worst combat ever and ARc's writing is overrated. The vast majority of the joinables were crap. People bash DA for its tons of encounters or long dungeon.. all I gots to say is LOL.

ARC and Bl do some things better than DA but not enough to be better. Sorry, ARC loses.

Dnny

Educated
Arcanum has ton more freedom, the story and the ending are spectacularly done and had far more consequences than just "Alistair, or the bitch, or both are king+queen omglol" and while most of the party npc suck cocks the game was truly enjoyable. The setting is original (the only serious cRPG attempt at steampunk) and the music top notch. And I don't ever remember spending AN HOUR in a dungeon while doing nothing but killing monsters. There was combat, and the combat wasn't good in Arcanum but it never dragged you to HOURS long boring encounters.

That's already far more than DA ever achieved. Arcanum easily sits in the top three rpg, in any place you give it (whether it be first, second or third is subjective matter, I'd easily rate it first ignoring the flaws)

There was far more stuff to do in Arcanum. Just something like stealing actually had a risk and consequence, the attempt at doing rogue quests in DA was laughable and stealing shit had no risk to account for.

Arcanum actually gives you a choice as to what you want to be, and do, to the world. You didn't have to be the world-saver. You had a choice.
No matter what you do in DA, you are the grey warden who WILL slay the stupid, animal-brained Archdemon and no matter who's in charge of ferelden things won't change much.

DA boasts itself as a very grey and gritty setting. It was actually bland. What would have seemed like the evil choice in Arcanum actually feels much more grey than anything you can do in DA and your "enemy" has an actual motive as to why he wants to destroy the world, not just "i am a world-destroying beast".

Silellak

Cipher
1eyedking said:
Vault Dweller said:
I explained why. Haven't seen you addressing my arguments though.
Oh, the famous Redcliffe quest; a quest almost in the level of Megaton moronity. Good argument.

Explain to me what makes the "choices" so different from one another, and more importantly their outcome. This is nothing but the legendary "fake BioWare C&C" at work, VD. You kill the child, the curse ends. You kill the mother, kill the demon, the curse ends. You don't kill anyone, kill the demon, the curse ends. You don't kill the demon, the curse ends. Anywhere in between you can let the demon keep the boy to no effect on those outside. The outcome is always the same (Landsmeet, etc.).
Interesting that you criticize DA heavily for this, yet obviously adore the Witcher, which has even fewer in-game consequences for your actions.

I really find it hard to swallow that people don't think DA has enough in-gameplay consequences, when you can drive away and/or be forced to fight most party members due to certain decisions you make in the game.

I agree that it's annoying that you can unlock a certain specialization by making a certain decision in the story, then just load your game and make a different decision yet still keep the specialization unlocked. Still, it's your choice as a player to exploit this "feature".

racofer

Thread Incliner
Guys I've just reached an astonishing conclusion: some people like a game for a reason, while others dislike it for other reasons.

How can such thing be possible :?:

Dnny

Educated
Silellak said:
I really find it hard to swallow that people don't think DA has enough in-gameplay consequences, when you can drive away and/or be forced to fight most party members due to certain decisions you make in the game.

OH GOD BALDUR'S GATE 2 IS FULL OF CHOICE AND CONSEQUENCE BECAUSE YOU CAN ALSO DRIVE AWAY AND KILL MOST OF YOUR PARTY MEMBERS
WUT

You should play a game like Arcanum if you want to see what a RPG that gives you choice and freedom actually looks like. You've been playing Biowhore games for too long.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The setting is original"

No. This is the Ultimate Bullshit Lie tm.

"enemy" has an actual motive as to why he wants to destroy the world"

His motive is retarded, and is not really all that different. And, ARC was the ultimate of black and white, sorry. There was no 'gray'.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thinking that DA is better than Arcanum in any way is stupid.

DA has better combat. That's about it. There's more filler combat that cannot be skipped (unlike the Dredge in the Wheel Clan if you're good at persuasion) so that doesn't matter much. Combat becomes boring and tedious after a while.

Arcanum also does travelling and random encounters better as well as consequences to your choices.

About DA:
I'm currently at the end, only the archdemon fight is remaining, but overall I would've expected even more filler based on what was said here. Temple of the sacred ashes was by far the worst part of it, filler-wise. But by now I'm just completely tired of the combat, and while I can see that some encounters are actually well-done I don't care anymore. There are so many fights that it just feels like work now.

Dnny

Educated
Volourn said:

No. This is the Ultimate Bullshit Lie tm..

BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY STEAMPUNK CRPG THE MARKET IS FLOODED WITH THEM LIES

"enemy" has an actual motive as to why he wants to destroy the world"

His motive is retarded, and is not really all that different. And, ARC was the ultimate of black and white, sorry. There was no 'gray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMZi217RUUY

Yeah, black&white. He truly is evil, right.
ĂŚf you ever played a mage and had the spell that allowed you to call the dead back to the material world you'd realize how wrong you are. They HATED it so much, to be disturbed from the great peace they felt in the state of the "after-death". He is not evil, he wanted the whole world to end suffering through reaching the eternal state of this peace of mind.

Silellak

Cipher
racofer said:
Guys I've just reached an astonishing conclusion: some people like a game for a reason, while others dislike it for other reasons.

When racofer is the voice of reason, things have truly devolved.

Dnny said:
Silellak said:

OH GOD BALDUR'S GATE 2 IS FULL OF CHOICE AND CONSEQUENCE BECAUSE YOU CAN ALSO DRIVE AWAY AND KILL MOST OF YOUR PARTY MEMBERS
WUT

You should play a game like Arcanum if you want to see what a RPG that gives you choice and freedom actually looks like. You've been playing Biowhore games for too long.
Whoops, tried to have a genuine discussion on the Codex again, my bad.

I didn't say Dragon Age gives you true "choice and freedom", did I? My point was that there are gameplay consequences for your decisions, and that not all "consequences" are just window-dressing. Whether or not you think it has enough is obviously open for debate, but I think there's a decent number. Not on the level of Fallout or Arcanum, maybe, but enough that I find it satisfying.

On the other hand, I actually appreciate those "window-dressing" consequences and the amount of detail that goes into the epilogue end-game slides, so if it makes you feel better you can just classify me as a "larper fag" and move on to the next DA thread.

1eyedking

Erudite
Silellak said:
Interesting that you criticize DA heavily for this, yet obviously adore the Witcher, which has even fewer in-game consequences for your actions.
I only said The Witcher is an intelligent game. I never said it was the shining beacon of RPGs, and if I ever did I take those words back. It's very light on the character development department, as well as combat and decision-making, but the level of writing, music, setting consistency and atmosphere is top-notch.

I'm completely against games that play like interactive movies, but at least The Witcher does it right.

Silellak said:
Party member alignment quarreling is like choices & consequences for kids, or rather sitcom fans. I'm not saying it's bad; it's a welcome addition, but it's nothing to write home about.

World C&C is where role-playing is at.

Silellak said:
I agree that it's annoying that you can unlock a certain specialization by making a certain decision in the story, then just load your game and make a different decision yet still keep the specialization unlocked.

Still, it's your choice as a player to exploit this "feature".
Here and here are two forums better suited to your intellectual level, though the Codex is certainly catching down.

racofer said:

Yes, and this is the part where people defend their reasons and attack the other's, and either prove their stupidity and/or procrastination tendency to everyone else.

"ZOMG", right?

Silellak

Cipher
1eyedking said:
Here and here are two forums better suited to your intellectual level, though the Codex is certainly catching down.
I continued to be baffled by your inability to have a conversation without insulting the person you're having it with.

wazzup.png

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Dnny said:
Volourn said:

No. This is the Ultimate Bullshit Lie tm..

BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY STEAMPUNK CRPG THE MARKET IS FLOODED WITH THEM LIES

Hello, I see you are new here. Pro tip: arguing with our Pretty Princess is utterly futile, as is arguing with Skyway.

Enjoy the forums!

1eyedking

Erudite
Silellak said:
I continued to be baffled by your inability to have a conversation without insulting the person you're having it with.
And I'm stupefied by your incapacity to deliver an intelligent argument.

I mean, surely you've lurked the Codex for a long while, right? Then you must obviously be aware that "just ignore the quest compass" was tossed around by Oblivion fans as a pathetic excuse to defend said dumbed-down feature.

What you just said oscillates at the same frequency of stupidity.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
As a poster who is just there to provide annoying background noises, I would like to say : hellz yeah another 10 pages ++ on Dragon Age. Can't wait, carry on with great vigour and indomitable vehemence, oh you great unchallengeable faggot clowns of princely caliber :cool:

made

Arcane
[Intelligence] So... 1eyedking is still fighting the good fight with his fingertips?

1eyedking

Erudite
Serious_Business said:
As a poster who is just there to provide annoying background noises, I would like to say : hellz yeah another 10 pages ++ on Dragon Age. Can't wait, carry on with great vigour and indomitable vehemence, oh you great unchallengeable faggot clowns of princely caliber :cool:
Yeah, there's nothing as cool as throwing around non-chalant remarks with zero argumentative weight or intelligence.

You're obviously awesome and above lowly RPG discussion, kid. It shows.
drawnexbawksv3.png

Silellak

Cipher
1eyedking said:
Silellak said:
And I'm stupefied by your incapacity to deliver an intelligent argument.

I mean, surely you've lurked the Codex for a long while, right? Then you must obviously be aware that "just ignore the quest compass" was tossed around by Oblivion fans as a pathetic excuse to defend said dumbed-down feature.

What you just said oscillates at the same frequency of stupidity.
Didn't actually lurk back far enough to read any of the debate regarding Oblivion, honestly. I can see why you'd love to connect those arguments, dismiss me as a "Bethtard lol", and move on, though.

However, I wasn't defending the feature. In fact, I said flat out I thought it was annoying that the option was there, and I agree that the impact of certain choices would be much more pronounced if it didn't work that way. That being said, I think there's a strong case to make that this isn't the intended behavior. A quest compass is there to be used, and it's ridiculous to argue that "the designers didn't intend for you to use this feature". However, I think the case can be made that the designers of DA didn't intend for you reload the game and magically have access to the specialization you just unlocked.

Were that the case, why would certain specilizations be unlocked via book purchases? Clearly the intention of the designers was for the player to trade gold for a new specialization, not for you to buy the book, reload your saved game, and have the shiny new specialization ready to be used. Far more likely is that it was an oversight, and a consequence of the intended feature of unlocking that specialization for subsequent playthroughs and/or other characters.

In the end, I agree - the implementation is what matters, and the implementation inarguably weakens what could otherwise be a far-stronger C&C aspect in DA. My point, however, was that if C&C is what you desire, you can ignore the poor implementation of that feature, play the game as it was intended, and perhaps find it a bit more enjoyable. Obviously this does not retroactively improve the game, but since playing games is about having fun, it's an alternative worth considering.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Serious_Business said:

Indeed, good sir. Let us sit together and indulge ourselves with this magnificent phrenic confabulation.

wine-snob-man.JPG

Silellak

Cipher
Hamster said:
1eyedking said:
Hell, if you want the Blood Mage skill you can always get it and reload since it's just an unlockable. .
Wait, what?
Specializations you unlock during gameplay unlock for all the characters you have.

Consequently, you can reload an earlier saved game before you made the choice that resulted in the unlock, and still have the specialization retroactively unlocked for the character. It's stupid, but as I said, I'm pretty sure it's unintentional side-effect of the global-unlock feature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom