Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age - New patch released

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
relootz said:
Also mages are stupidly overpowered especially against bosses so i am not surprised you are able to play it on nightmare Ventilator.

don't know, in my experience it's exactly the other way round. mages apply pwnage except vs bosses where they're nigh useless except for healing the melee. Perhaps the reason is that I don't resort to cheesy tactics like alternating cone of colds etc. Or maybe it's because on higher difficulty bosses really have ridiculous resistances, making most spells useless.

relootz

Scholar
VentilatorOfDoom said:
relootz said:
Also mages are stupidly overpowered especially against bosses so i am not surprised you are able to play it on nightmare Ventilator.

don't know, in my experience it's exactly the other way round. mages apply pwnage except vs bosses where they're nigh useless except for healing the melee. Perhaps the reason is that I don't resort to cheesy tactics like alternating cone of colds etc. Or maybe it's because on higher difficulty bosses really have ridiculous resistances, making most spells useless.

Mages can heal, they can cast deathhex which is extremely powerfull (every hit is a critital hit), they can cast forcefield to put the hardest opponent on ice so you can kill his minions first.

The mages are THE critical units in the game to be honest. Having a mage as your own character really eases things considerably

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
relootz said:
Mages can heal, they can cast deathhex which is extremely powerfull (every hit is a critital hit), they can cast forcefield to put the hardest opponent on ice so you can kill his minions first.
The mages are THE critical units in the game to be honest. Having a mage as your own character really eases things considerably

well, Ok that's certainly true. Deathhex, huh? I'll have it soon, although I saw the high dragon resisting hexes when I fought it... at least the lvl3 hex.

Black

Arcane
Great, now every update to every game that has "RPG" on the box will be posted here.

LazyD

Liturgist
Patch notes look similar to patch notes of a MMO.

Back to Killing soldiers in Xcom... A Better rpg then DA.

Balthamael

Liturgist
Death hex is indeed ridiculous. Especially if you cast death cloud immediately afterwards. Does something like three hundred points of spirit damage.

Korgan

Arbiter
VentilatorOfDoom said:
* Certain battles were not scaling properly, resulting in excessively difficult fights. They now scale as intended.

which battles were excessively difficult?
The revenants for sure. Devastating AoE melee attack, undispellable aura of weakness, immune to a lot of stuff, you need a single superheavy tank, good healing and single-target ranged DPS, which is exactly opposite to how most fights are played (CC, area control and quickly killing everything still standing).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Black said:
Great, now every update to every game that has "RPG" on the box will be posted here.
Have you ever typed any posts were you didn't bitch, complain, or express some disappointments? You are like a dumbed down version of Skyway: banal and boring.

Black

Arcane
Why, does it hurt you? If you're so interested then look at my posting history and see for yourself, it's not like you're working on anything right now.
But hey, at least I'm good for what I am. Appreciate it and give me a nice review!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Black said:
But hey, at least I'm good for what I am. Appreciate it and give me a nice review!
Unfortunately, you're good for nothing [let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say that it's for the lack of trying]. You're one of those posters who do nothing but provide some background noise in the form of meaningless posts that add and offer absolutely nothing.

At least Skyway has a personality and can argue when cornered. You just bitch. Day after day after day after day...

Black

Arcane
And that background noise is enough to get your attention now? What a sad old man you are.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Reading the same shit (literally) over and over again is annoying.

Imbecile

Arbiter
I've got Dragon age, and will probably give it a go in a couple of days. This means everyone can look forward to several threads worth of fascinating first impressions.

Black

Arcane
No shit genius, so you understand my annoyance with YET ANOTHER DA thread?

made

Arcane
Some decent changes in there, though it makes you wonder how the shit could pass QA in the first place.

Still not enough to make me want to replay it, though.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Black said:
No shit genius, so you understand my annoyance with YET ANOTHER DA thread?
No. I don't. Nobody's forcing you to read them, yet you dutifully click on every fucking DA thread and post something negative. Out of your last 50 posts, almost 40 are in various Dragon Age threads.

Did you even play the game? Do you have an opinion going beyond "shit!"?

Silellak

Cipher
made said:
Some decent changes in there, though it makes you wonder how the shit could pass QA in the first place.

Really? There are plenty of things to criticize DA about, but I don't think being a bug-filled mess that QA should be hung for is one of them.

It's one of the most polished and bug-free PC games I've played in years, if not ever. I think I had two CTD's in my 80+ hours of playing so far. Sure, those things snuck by QA, but when you consider the sheer size of the game and the number of things that needed testing, that's a pretty trivial list of issues.

J1M

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
J1M said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
* Certain battles were not scaling properly, resulting in excessively difficult fights. They now scale as intended.

The high dragon and flemith fights are probably on that list.
Actually, I think it's one of the revenants in Brecilian Forest. The one under the small ruined pillar where you encounter the ogre duo always seemed way tougher than any of the others.
It's harder than the others because there are more melee skeletons instead of archers, but compared to the fights I mentioned above it is really easy. You've got lots of room to kite things through the forest or dodge behind a pillar so the pull spell doesn't move you.

Hamenaglar

Novice
Silellak said:
made said:

Really? There are plenty of things to criticize DA about, but I don't think being a bug-filled mess that QA should be hung for is one of them.

It's one of the most polished and bug-free PC games I've played in years, if not ever. I think I had two CTD's in my 80+ hours of playing so far. Sure, those things snuck by QA, but when you consider the sheer size of the game and the number of things that needed testing, that's a pretty trivial list of issues.

I've had quite a few more crashes. But it didn't really bug me. But again I've had no more than an occasional chrash to desktop, although, some of the gameplay bugs, such as those with daggers shouldn't have gone on this long without fixing. Still when it comes to bugs and stability I have no bad feelings about DA.

J1M

Arcane
Korgan said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

The revenants for sure. Devastating AoE melee attack, undispellable aura of weakness, immune to a lot of stuff, you need a single superheavy tank, good healing and single-target ranged DPS, which is exactly opposite to how most fights are played (CC, area control and quickly killing everything still standing).
Paralysis works on them. I had one mage casting that and kiting with Miasima on. If you had two mages and chain-cast that I could see it making the fight very trivial.

I probably wont bother with this patch. If it had added the warrior skill tree to the Dog like the Xbox version of DA has I would be a lot more interested.

Deleted member 7219

1eyedking said:
Sorry...what?

I'm busy replaying Arcanum; it's amazing how dumbfucks such as VD claimed DA is the best RPG since.

So, what is it you say, a patch? Oh, but you know what others say.

"Bugs can be fixed but shitty design is forever."

VD is a dumbfuck? Isn't that like Jenny McCarthy calling Stephen Hawking a moron?

Vault Dweller

Developer
1eyedking said:
Sorry...what?

I'm busy replaying Arcanum; it's amazing how dumbfucks such as VD claimed DA is the best RPG since.
I explained why. Haven't seen you addressing my arguments though.

Also, "the best since" doesn't mean "as good as". In case you were, like, wondering.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Silellak said:
made said:

I never experienced CTD's. This may have something to do with the fact that I had to restart my game constantly thanks to memory leaks causing slow-downs.

Apart from that--and it's a big that, since the slow-downs got progressively worse--then yeah, it's a technically sound game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom