Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age sightings at 1UP

elander_

Arbiter
Volourn said:
I have. Mnay times. Do a search; but the usual bullshit crap is all i get in response. Dumbass.

Liar you never gave any example. Next you are going to blame it on me because like all cowards who are just bluffing. Coward.

I dare you put an example here or be known as a coward for the rest of your life (as well as dumbfuck, moron, etc).

Ladonna

Arcane
Don't bother. I have asked him for examples a number of times, and I always get the wonderful 'I have given millions of examples, one upon a time. R00FLES!!'.

Strangely, I have never been able to find them with many attempts to search for them. But its not the most search friendly place here.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Twinfalls said:
Dgaider said:
but ultimately, yes, it's still going to be a story-driven game.
Why not be straightforward and say what you really mean: it is going to be a cut-scene driven game.
Because that's not what I mean. There's a big difference between how cut-scenes are used in Dragon Age and how they are used in our action games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Elander & Ladonna: Why do you lie ? The JE subject came up nott hnat along in Ggeneral RPG Discussion. Do a fuckin' proper search for fuck sakes. Are too weak willed to even handle that tiny mission? Morons.

Shutup Volourn nobody cares what choo think

Dgaider said:
There's a big difference between how cut-scenes are used in Dragon Age and how they are used in our action games.

:lol: Good one. Now please explain David, my esteemed friend.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That must explain all the responses I get, and all the begging for 'proof' as well. R00fles!

Why don't you and TWD hook up and have some mad gay sex together? I would rather you have your cock in his mouth than have you constantly sticking it in everyones posts. Moron.

elander_

Arbiter
Ladonna said:
Strangely, I have never been able to find them with many attempts to search for them. But its not the most search friendly place here.

With Volourn no place is search friendly.

galsiah said:
Dgaider said:
There's a big difference...
Namely?

I get it. Dgaider is Volourn. He never gives an answer to anything.

Shoelip

Arbiter
But, Dgaider isn't a total dumbfuck that somehow still gets listened to.

Actually he's kind of the oppisite. Maybe that's it! He's Volourn's good side! :lol:

Twinfalls

Erudite
Dgaider said:
Twinfalls said:
Dgaider said:
but ultimately, yes, it's still going to be a story-driven game.
Why not be straightforward and say what you really mean: it is going to be a cut-scene driven game.
Because that's not what I mean. There's a big difference between how cut-scenes are used in Dragon Age and how they are used in our action games.

Simple question:

Can party members in DA die, or do they fall unconscious a la KOTOR?

If the answer is the latter, then we will all know why:

They are needed for the cut-scenes.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Twinfalls said:
Simple question:

Most of the party members are actually optional, but hey, you got it all figured out anyway. No need for me to provide you with weasel answers.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Dgaider said:
Twinfalls said:
Simple question:

Most of the party members are actually optional, but hey, you got it all figured out anyway. No need for me to provide you with weasel answers.

Oh let's not be too precious, David. Firstly, what's your actual answer to my question? If you wanted to avoid it because you didn't like the 'weasel words' comment, why raise that now, and not in your previous reply? And secondly, 'weasel words' is a not a personal slight but a standard figure of speech - it's a way of undermining unhelpful euphemisms. Something you'd have to agree 'story driven' is, surely.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Can't make a mod (if I was even capable) if the game won't install. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Twinfalls said:
Oh let's not be too precious, David. Firstly, what's your actual answer to my question? If you wanted to avoid it because you didn't like the 'weasel words' comment, why raise that now, and not in your previous reply? And secondly, 'weasel words' is a not a personal slight but a standard figure of speech - it's a way of undermining unhelpful euphemisms. Something you'd have to agree 'story driven' is, surely.
I'm not taking it as a personal slight. You think I'm either lying or being evasive, and already have the entire game figured out anyway, including all of our sordid reasons for doing things. I'd have elaborated earlier if I thought that this was one of those occasions where an intelligent conversation could be had on the subject. It's not.

Bradylama

Arcane
The point, Dgaider, is that in roleplaying games which weren't story-driven, cutscenes constituted events initiated by the player character, and didn't necessitate the presence of the player character or NPCs outside those who the event affected directly.

By calling Dragon Age a "cutscene-driven" game, people are basically saying that DA still features a set narrative from which there is little deviation, because several factors are reliant upon the inclusion of NPCs within them.

If that isn't the case with Dragon Age, then you should just say so, and don't act snappy when people ask what you mean about the difference between DA's cutscenes and those in your action games. Just answer the question or say that you can't answer it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"If that isn't the case with Dragon Age, then you should just say so, and don't act snappy when people ask what you mean about the difference between DA's cutscenes and those in your action games. Just answer the question or say that you can't answer it."

He can fuckin' answer snappy or any other way he damn well please. And, you cna whine about it. Fuck, he can call us all morons if he so damn chooses. What ar eyou? His fuckin' mummy telling him to 'play nice'? LMAO

Bradylama

Arcane
It's advice, not motherhood, Volly. Go crawl back under the rock you call a roof and OD on heroin.

galsiah

Erudite
Dgaider said:
I'm not taking it as a personal slight. You think I'm either lying or being evasive, and already have the entire game figured out anyway, including all of our sordid reasons for doing things. I'd have elaborated earlier if I thought that this was one of those occasions where an intelligent conversation could be had on the subject. It's not.
Well you are being evasive - even if that does make sense. You say there's a difference in the use of cut-scenes, but aren't explaining what that difference is.

I'm sure we can all deduce that this aspect of DA isn't going to fit with the codex ideal. Fine - let's agree on that. Perhaps no useful discussion can be had in those terms: you aren't making the codex's ideal game in this regard, and that's not going to change. Fine again.

However, I personally would still be interested to know how you're using story/cut-scenes in DA. Why not present a few of your "sordid reasons", goals etc., and have a discussion in those terms?

It's somewhat silly to assume that reasonable discussion can't be had simply because you know that not everyone is going to be reasonable. After all, you've been surprised before:
Dgaider said:
And besides, the reactions in this thread have been almost 75% positive. It's disconcerting.

He's probably afraid of big, scary trolls. Don't worry David, we won't bite, just give us an answer. If I hurt your feelings I apologize, I really wanna know what direction Bioware is going at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom