Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
How is Bioware still around?
The larping fanbase keeps their memory alive, I'd say. No other dev allowed players such extensive character customization + mass romances. Egostroking is their game.

But I guess with DOS2 and now BG3 Larian has offered an alternative and gone after that audience. Bioware might not even be relevant after they release their game; the fanbase will have moved on, fetishizing about new characters. Probably still not enough yet for EA to ditch the brand name though.
All it takes is one look at the Mass Effect/Dragon Age subreddits to see the weird parasocial relationships these scum have made with video game characters.

scytheavatar

Scholar
How is Bioware still around? When you look at all the legendary developers Ea killed off, these talentless hacks should have been finished off after Anthem. And I say this as someone who loved Baldur's Gate 2 and Mass Effect. They are basically Dylan Mulvaney pretending to be something they are not and then been surprised when someone says the emperor has no clothes. It would be hilarious if Baldur's Gate 3 is the thing to finally put them out of their misery.

Baldur's Gate 3 would more likely be the thing that saves Bioware cause it would be official, undeniable evidence that CRPGs in the style of old school Bioware DO sell if they are made at AAA scale. And if they are moved away from real time combat.

But I guess with DOS2 and now BG3 Larian has offered an alternative and gone after that audience. Bioware might not even be relevant after they release their game; the fanbase will have moved on, fetishizing about new characters. Probably still not enough yet for EA to ditch the brand name though.

Larian is just one studio and it will almost certainly be another 4 years at least before they release their next game. There's no way that they can satisfy the Bioware wannabe market by themselves. So there's no reason why Bioware that has gone back to their roots can't exist together with Larian.

Elthosian

Arcane
How is Bioware still around?
The larping fanbase keeps their memory alive, I'd say. No other dev allowed players such extensive character customization + mass romances. Egostroking is their game.

All it takes is one look at the Mass Effect/Dragon Age subreddits to see the weird parasocial relationships these scum have made with video game characters.
Not to mention they prefer systems to be as simple as possible so they can "focus on the story". A lot of people there really dislike DA:O's gameplay.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Not to mention they prefer systems to be as simple as possible so they can "focus on the story". A lot of people there really dislike DA:O's gameplay.
Calling their retarded preferences as "wanting to focus on the story" is an insult to storyfags. They want daddy issues, soap opera drama, romances and emotional bullshit without any regard for a well constructed, logical plot and believable events/characters. They're the lowest common denominator in this hobby, the harbingers of decline being pandered to by greedy capitalist executives/jews/woke retards.

Being spammed with shitty cosplay, dick sucking, anime fan art, etc. on reddit was when I was going to completely distance myself from any gaming discussion other than with my friends. Luckily I remembered the Codex existed because of stumbling upon it by searching for topics over the years. I'm pretty sure I'm banned on at least the Mass Effect subreddit because of calling out blatantly wrong info being upvoted. I mean, I see retarded shit said here all the time but at least I can call someone a retard for it.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Larian is just one studio and it will almost certainly be another 4 years at least before they release their next game. There's no way that they can satisfy the Bioware wannabe market by themselves. So there's no reason why Bioware that has gone back to their roots can't exist together with Larian.
There can only be one waifu dev studio. The other are mere distractions, one-night stands while the waifu is away.

And if said studio's games have modding, fetishes can be sustained for a long time.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

EA’s BioWare will lay off 50 and cut ties with unionized Keywords playtesting group

Electronic Arts said that its BioWare studio based in Edmonton, Canada, is laying off 50 people on the team even as Dragon Age: Dreadwolf is in the late stages of development.

The layoffs will likely be a blow to morale at the studio and make the development environment more difficult. Gary McKay, general manager of the developer, told employees in a statement today that the move is mean to make the EA owned developer a more agile and more focused studio. EA has an estimated 12,000 to 13,000 employees, and BioWare had perhaps 250 people.

“In order to meet the needs of our upcoming projects, continue to hold ourselves to the highest standard of quality and ensure BioWare can continue to thrive in an industry that’s rapidly evolving, we must shift towards a more agile and more focused studio,” McKay said. “It will allow our developers to iterate quickly, unlock more creativity, and form a clear vision of what we’re building before development ramps up.”

He added, “To achieve this, we find ourselves in a position where change is not only necessary, but unavoidable. As difficult as this is to say, rethinking our approach to development inevitably means reorganizing our team to match the studio’s changing needs. As part of this transition, we are eliminating approximately 50 roles at BioWare. That is deeply painful and humbling to write. We are doing everything we can to ensure the process is handled with empathy, respect, and clear communication.”

A screen from Dragon Age: Dreadwolf.
A screen from Dragon Age: Dreadwolf.

In addition, the moves come with a couple of related or perhaps coincidental events. A spokesperson for EA said that the company was unable to come to an agreement with a part of Keywords, a big game services firm, that provides playtesting services. In June 2022, this small part of Keywords had a group of contractors who voted to unionize.

EA said it was unable to create a new contract and so will let that current one expire on September 27. It’s not clear what will happen to the contractors without the EA contract, but it’s fair to guess that some jobs will likely be lost over at Keywords unless they find other work.

An industry source said EA has renewed work orders with Keywords Studios since their employees voted to unionize in June 2022. But the source added that, in this instance, the two companies simply couldn’t agree to terms. The Keywords contract requirements exceeded what EA/Bioware needed given the change in development approach at the studio.

The layoff also comes about three months after EA moved production of its massively multiplayer online game, Star Wars: The Old Republic, to a third-party publisher, Broadsword, in Reston, Virginia. The game debuted way back in 2011 and has entered maintenance mode.

Broadsword has also taken over games like Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot so players can keep playing them. McKay said BioWare’s focus will be on making “exceptional story-driven single-player experiences filled with vast worlds and rich characters.”

McKay’s leadership will not be affected. Michael Gamble, who has been with BioWare for 15 years, will continue to serve as head of the Mass Effect team. Currently, the studio is in pre-production for the next game in the Mass Effect franchise. Corinne Busche and John Epler, two leaders on Dragon Age, also continue in their roles.

Andrew Wilson, CEO of EA, announced back in March that the company would cut about 6% of its total workforce, and these cutbacks are related to that move.

McKay said that EA chose to act now to provide impacted colleagues with as many internal opportunities as possible. These changes coincide with a significant number of roles that are currently open across EA’s other studios. Impacted employees will be provided with professional resources and assistance as they apply for these positions. Those departing will receive credit in the game.

“While it’s unlikely that everyone will find a new role within the company, we are committed to supporting our staff as they navigate this change. Our sincere hope is that they can continue their exemplary work at studios who stand to benefit immensely from their talents,” McKay said.

McKay said EA is dedicated to the development of Dreadwolf has never wavered.

“Our commitment remains steadfast, and we all are working to make this game worthy of the Dragon Age name. We are confident that we’ll have the time needed to ensure Dragon Age reaches its full potential,” McKay said. “I can also tell you that every member of our team, even those departing BioWare, deserves credit for crafting a spectacular experience. These are our colleagues and friends, and we would not be here without them. I am so proud of all the work our team has done.”

And McKay said, “While this is an extremely difficult day for everyone at BioWare, we are making changes now to build a brighter future. We’re excited for all of you to see what we’ve been building with Dreadwolf. A core veteran team led by Mike Gamble continues their pre-production work on the next Mass Effect. Our commitment to quality continues to be our North Star.”

EA has not said when Dragon Age: Dreadwolf will ship.

Cutting 50 peeps out of a 13k employee pool. EA's left brain hemisphere had a fart again.

Elthosian

Arcane
There can only be one waifu dev studio. The other are mere distractions, one-night stands while the waifu is away.

And if said studio's games have modding, fetishes can be sustained for a long time.

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm repeating myself but of all places the one where the most people claim they wouldn't touch BG3 with a stick due to tactical combat is the Dragon Age reddit. A lot of people there don't even want Bioware to do something like DAO again and are extremely happy with DAI and the DAD leaks. If Bioware manages to get something out of the nasty Dreadwolf development process after two resets, I'd say they have a chance to sell well. But that's a big if, with EA being such a blatant trend-chaser (remember that the Respawn SW game was what got them to ditch the live service DA game) they might end up forcing them to switch gears once again and I doubt the studio can survive doing that for a third time.

Terra

Cipher
To be honest, you want people with shit taste to have a sacrificial series like DA to sate them, they then spend less effort trying to ruin other promising series with their shit ideas and taste. While Bio is a shadow of its former self, by continuing to exist it serves a purpose in keeping these types at bay. You'd be amazed how quickly the likes of the DA fanbase will get over their dislike of turn based combat for one game if the target game has other desired elements such as lgbt content and can be set upon to gradually erode the unwanted mechanics and turn it into an arpg + dialogue wheel over the course of several games' worth of complaints. With BG3 taking the cinematic turn it seems to, if Bioware ever goes down, Larian will be the new target dev for the audience that guided Bio to its inevitable demise. DOS2 had a nice balance of not having a ballooning budget & cinematic focus, and thus that kept a certain crowd out, it was perfectly poised to deliver future titles in the same vein, but BG3 looks to have pushed too far into the mainstream, which ultimately will attract the wrong audience.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Cutting 50 peeps out of a 13k employee pool. EA's left brain hemisphere had a fart again.
You have to wonder if it's worth the bad PR and a field day everyone's going to have with EA over this. Just reshuffle them somewhere and keep it quiet.

scytheavatar

Scholar

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm repeating myself but of all places the one where the most people claim they wouldn't touch BG3 with a stick due to tactical combat is the Dragon Age reddit. A lot of people there don't even want Bioware to do something like DAO again and are extremely happy with DAI and the DAD leaks. If Bioware manages to get something out of the nasty Dreadwolf development process after two resets, I'd say they have a chance to sell well. But that's a big if, with EA being such a blatant trend-chaser (remember that the Respawn SW game was what got them to ditch the live service DA game) they might end up forcing them to switch gears once again and I doubt the studio can survive doing that for a third time.

"Sell well" has different levels, cause even DAI numbers would be pathetic in modern day AAA development. Those people who are happy with the DAD leaks are in for a shock when they realize DAD is going to have less RPG than God of War, similar to FFXVI. Just making a God of War is already super challenging and beyond the ability of almost every studio in the world, and you want to have a proper RPG on top of it?

The reality is that it is easier to make a DAO than it is to make a God of War, and it is something Bioware will have to accept sooner or latter.

"Sell well" has different levels, cause even DAI numbers would be pathetic in modern day AAA development. Those people who are happy with the DAD leaks are in for a shock when they realize DAD is going to have less RPG than God of War, similar to FFXVI. Just making a God of War is already super challenging and beyond the ability of almost every studio in the world, and you want to have a proper RPG on top of it?

The reality is that it is easier to make a DAO than it is to make a God of War, and it is something Bioware will have to accept sooner or latter.
The people who are liking DAI either see that's a DAI 2 and like it because they already liked DAI, or are liking it precisely because they want it to be a GoW kinda deal. This is what they want.
Bioware people don't care about gameplay either, which is why it's not unusual to see the DA crowd hating on it, they just want the "story".

Elthosian

Arcane

Isn't focusing on combat already a sunken cost for Bioware, though? Maybe at the time of DA2 I would have agreed but nowadays all of their games are too action-focused (probably don't have many people left with experience doing tactical games, so add hiring for that to the budget) and a lot of their fans are in it for that. Didn't took me more than 5 min to find many takes supporting this view and I didn't even have to go to the official forums (trigger warning: popamole):

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/...poilersso_i_have_finally_started_playing_dao/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Not to mention how many of these will defend DA's C&C becoming more and more like what you'd find in a Telltale game because they can't stand the idea of newer installments not being closely connected to the previous ones, thus making it ever harder to carry decisions from one game to the next without outright making a single path canon.

Anyway, as much as I love to troll in the FFXVI thread, 3-4 million copies in a single platform were enough for Squenix to recover their investment. Popamole Dragon Age can do much better than that releasing on 3+ platforms. Heck, Anthem was a flop and even that sold around 5 million lol. Pretty sure if they hadn't had to put money into maintaining the live service aspects it would have been much more lucrative for EA.

IIRC, the only recent AAAs that have had a hard time recovering the invested money are games like TLOU2, but that was because Sony decided to invest 200 million bucks on graphicx and allegedly another 200 in marketing so they had to sell at least 8 million to break even. Bioware games are cinematic and shit but they use existing engines (Unreal/Frostbite) with ok graphics and their latest games don't have even half of the content you'd find in a Bethesda/Larian game, plus the sandbox elements have given them a lot of marketing for free.

Now, if we're talking about recovering the whole DAD investment that's likely impossible given it has been in development for 8 years now, but if EA cared about that they would have cancelled the project and dismantled Bioware by now.

Bioware has always made a single canon branch even in BG1. There is a canon party and a canon outcome and they make it very clear by building this line of events that must be done (and often have better rewards).
DAI does have a certain degree of C&C, especially when it comes to companions' comments and questlines. Ninjamancing (not knowing which line of dialogue is a romance trigger) is gone from the games, even from DA2 onwards. A lot of people, even Bioware themselves, have jokingly said they'd be better off as visual novel developers now but the issue here is that the sort of vibe you'd get from a visual novel is what Bioware players want. They certainly aren't attracting new players anymore, and it's going to get harder when DAD is meant to be the fourth game in a series that started before some of their potential players were even born.

Elthosian

Arcane
Bioware has always made a single canon branch even in BG1. There is a canon party and a canon outcome and they make it very clear by building this line of events that must be done (and often have better rewards).
DAI does have a certain degree of C&C, especially when it comes to companions' comments and questlines. Ninjamancing (not knowing which line of dialogue is a romance trigger) is gone from the games, even from DA2 onwards. A lot of people, even Bioware themselves, have jokingly said they'd be better off as visual novel developers now but the issue here is that the sort of vibe you'd get from a visual novel is what Bioware players want. They certainly aren't attracting new players anymore, and it's going to get harder when DAD is meant to be the fourth game in a series that started before some of their potential players were even born.

I guess my main issue with that is that in some of the games the C&C seems to be constrained by them being in that awkward middle position between accounting for previous decisions and still having an overarching plot across several games, so a chunk of the C&C is constrained to stuff that they can easily handwave/reference with one-liners. I'd rather have self-contained plots at that point. Somewhat unrelated but I hated that in POE, by the time I played Deadfire I couldn't even remember half of the decisions I took.

I haven't played DAI and won't probably but wasn't a big complain about the game that there was this super important character whose fate ended up being something like he went home no matter what your choices were?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://blog.bioware.com/2023/08/23/an-update-on-the-state-of-bioware/

An Update on the State of BioWare​

Hello again,

Today, rather than discuss one of our upcoming projects, I’d like to share an update about the studio itself and outline our vision for BioWare’s future.

In order to meet the needs of our upcoming projects, continue to hold ourselves to the highest standard of quality, and ensure BioWare can continue to thrive in an industry that’s rapidly evolving, we must shift towards a more agile and more focused studio. It will allow our developers to iterate quickly, unlock more creativity, and form a clear vision of what we’re building before development ramps up.

To achieve this, we find ourselves in a position where change is not only necessary, but unavoidable. As difficult as this is to say, rethinking our approach to development inevitably means reorganizing our team to match the studio’s changing needs.

As part of this transition, we are eliminating approximately 50 roles at BioWare. That is deeply painful and humbling to write. We are doing everything we can to ensure the process is handled with empathy, respect, and clear communication. With that last point in mind, I want to take a moment to explain how we got here, what we’re doing to support our colleagues, and what this means for BioWare’s current and future games.

WHAT’S HAPPENING NOW​

After much consideration and careful planning, we have built a long-term vision that will preserve the health of the studio and better enable us to do what we do best: create exceptional story-driven single-player experiences filled with vast worlds and rich characters. This vision balances the current needs of the studio—namely, ensuring Dragon Age: Dreadwolf is an outstanding game—with its future, including the success of the next Mass Effect™.

We’ve chosen to act now in part to provide our impacted colleagues with as many internal opportunities as possible. These changes coincide with a significant number of roles that are currently open across EA’s other studios. Impacted employees will be provided with professional resources and assistance as they apply for these positions.

While it’s unlikely that everyone will find a new role within the company, we are committed to supporting our staff as they navigate this change. Our sincere hope is that they can continue their exemplary work at studios who stand to benefit immensely from their talents.

IMMEDIATE IMPACT​

If you’re wondering how all of this will impact development of Dragon Age: Dreadwolf, let me be clear that our dedication to the game has never wavered. Our commitment remains steadfast, and we all are working to make this game worthy of the Dragon Age name. We are confident that we’ll have the time needed to ensure Dreadwolf reaches its full potential.

I can also tell you that every member of our team, even those departing BioWare, deserves credit for crafting a spectacular experience. These are our colleagues and friends, and we would not be here without them. I am so proud of all the work our team has done.

WHAT COMES NEXT​

While this is an extremely difficult day for everyone at BioWare, we are making changes now to build a brighter future. We’re excited for all of you to see what we’ve been building with Dreadwolf. A core veteran team led by Mike Gamble continues their pre-production work on the next Mass Effect. Our commitment to quality continues to be our North Star.

As cliche as this sounds, there truly is never a good time to enact changes like this, but we trust that we have the right leaders and team in place with vision, passion, and proven track records to deliver world-class Dragon Age and Mass Effect experiences that our fans will love.

For now, I want to thank everyone at BioWare—past and present—for making the studio what it is. I also want to thank our community for your continued support. We’re eager to reveal more about Dreadwolf, and we look forward to discovering what else the future holds.

Gary McKay
General Manager, BioWare

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The layoffs include Mary Kirby, writer of Varric and a bunch of other stuff going back to Origins. Bioware really is a walking corpse.
Too bad Sheryl Chee flounced from twitter so I don't know her status.

It'd be a scream if they got rid of Kristjanson. One of the oldest employees if not the oldest by now.

I guess my main issue with that is that in some of the games the C&C seems to be constrained by them being in that awkward middle position between accounting for previous decisions and still having an overarching plot across several games, so a chunk of the C&C is constrained to stuff that they can easily handwave/reference with one-liners. I'd rather have self-contained plots at that point. Somewhat unrelated but I hated that in POE, by the time I played Deadfire I couldn't even remember half of the decisions I took.

I haven't played DAI and won't probably but wasn't a big complain about the game that there was this super important character whose fate ended up being something like he went home no matter what your choices were?
That's the Bioware way. Mass Effect was guilty of that, but Dragon Age did it better, with characters showing up (or not) and mentioning events from previous games.

POE2's c&c is mostly aesthetic iirc. From what I gather, it's not like your decisions involve game changing events in the sequel.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The layoffs include Mary Kirby, writer of Varric and a bunch of other stuff going back to Origins. Bioware really is a walking corpse.
Too bad Sheryl Chee flounced from twitter so I don't know her status.

It'd be a scream if they got rid of Kristjanson. One of the oldest employees if not the oldest by now.
Did he go weird like the rest of Bioware? I remember him being fairly normal when I spoke with him about game writing back in 2000ish.

Elthosian

Arcane

That's the Bioware way. Mass Effect was guilty of that, but Dragon Age did it better, with characters showing up (or not) and mentioning events from previous games.

POE2's c&c is mostly aesthetic iirc. From what I gather, it's not like your decisions involve game changing events in the sequel.

I guess I was a bit annoyed by the game starting with you importing your savegame or taking all of your decisions in-place. Certainly not a dealbreaker and I enjoyed the rest of the game, but I couldn't avoid feeling like these choices would matter a lot when I first started it.

There's a character that shows up even if you brutally murder them in DA:O.

Elthosian

Arcane

Sounds like they're doubling down on God of War: Dreadwolf.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
By the way it's safe to say that "finally coming in 2024" is incredibly optimistic. They wouldn't be firing 50 people now if the title was in good shape and on track.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom