Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, the premise and main driving force in DAI is shit.
BG3 - you have a worm, that will eat your brain and your main goal is to remove it.
BG2, MOTB - you have your soul stolen. Enough said.
DAO - Blight is rolling and you have to stop it to survive. Overall situation is presented nicely - panic, refugees, intrigues.
DAI - a hole in the sky that you closed. But why should you fight Corypheus? It is really not explained why exactly you have to defeat him, as you close the hole in the sky in the first mission. Whole driving force is that you decided to help, and lead the Inquisition. Everyone ignores warp rifts.

I haven't played beyond just setting up the first base camp after the prologue or whatever, but isn't the whole deal of DAI that the green sky shit is still expanding and going to like rip apart reality and drop the Fade into Thedas and only you can stop it with your magic green hurty hand?

I mean, I hate what they did with Dragon Age, but you should be fair and accurate unless something changes or I'm misremembering.
The warp rifts end up having nothing to do with Corypheus or even your magic green hand, it's all just tricks by Solas who's trying to wipe out humans to make elves rule the world through a very long and illogical plot that included him making the Veil to separate the world from the Fade and conspiring with Mythal who's Flemeth to fabricate the religion of the Maker and Andraste for reasons that are never explained, and all the green warpy shit going on is him trying to destroy the Veil. He's the one who gave you the magic green hand for reasons that are also never explained and he takes it from you at the end of the last DLC. Trespasser makes the main game completely pointless and turns Corypheus into even more of an aimless assclown.
Yeah, especially that part about "DUH I expected Corypheous to go boom but ancient wizard who tried entered the fade somehow managed to read in elvish and handle the orb of destruction. I, Ancient god dreadwolf, could never predict such a thing and my plans gone to chaos"

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Corypheus is an idiot assclown villain.

Meanwhile, the smart, complex, sophisticated, tortured anti-hero that BioWare apparently hedged all their bets on for the sequel:

1701033463619.png

Imagine making this :prosper:the face of your IP.

9ted6

Educated
Small reminder that DAO was built and written when Bioware was still indépendant. And that it's somehow the only tolerable in the series.

Same with Mass Effect, but even the first game was built with the two sequels in mind, which mitigated EA's influence on these.

Morale of the story: stay indie.

It's called being bought out for a reason. You lose your autonomy and your creative freedom. Hope the money was worth it.

RIP.
I think even without EA's interference they'd have all gotten woke brainrot eventually anyway.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Their excuse on how Evil EA forced them to rush DA2 proved to be bullshit because DAI were not rushed for sure and still they fucked up.

You do kill Corypheous in DA2. In the DLC, at least. The entire plot to DAI is a major asspull. I also remember Corypheous having a silly german accent, like Dr Strangelove type shit, in DA2. They changed it in 2. If anything the Architect from DAO:Awakenings would've made a better villain. And you can make him leave alive too.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Small reminder that DAO was built and written when Bioware was still indépendant. And that it's somehow the only tolerable in the series.

Same with Mass Effect, but even the first game was built with the two sequels in mind, which mitigated EA's influence on these.

It's called being bought out for a reason. You lose your autonomy and your creative freedom. Hope the money was worth it.

RIP.

For the docs that owned it? Yeah, I'd imagine being able to retire in their 40s and sail around on money boats was probably pretty fulfilling.

9ted6

Educated
You do kill Corypheous in DA2. In the DLC, at least. The entire plot to DAI is a major asspull. I also remember Corypheous having a silly german accent, like Dr Strangelove type shit, in DA2. They changed it in 2. If anything the Architect from DAO:Awakenings would've made a better villain. And you can make him leave alive too.
It's cool how from 2 on they acted like Awakening never even existed as a DLC. The Architect was a genuinely interesting villain with reasonable motives and he gave a unique take on the Darkspawn as a whole. Apparently Corypheus the Power Rangers villain and Solas the godly self insert were just too irresistible for Bioware's new pissbrain writers.

jackofshadows

Magister
Meanwhile, the smart, complex, sophisticated, tortured anti-hero that BioWare apparently hedged all their bets on for the sequel:

1701033463619.png

Imagine making this :prosper:the face of your IP.
Except there was a lot and I mean I lot as far as I've heared flicking the bean going on. Canonical elf on elf playthroughs and all that shit. An odd stake to make sure but it was done.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Ryzer

Arcane
The funny thing is Bioware could make a little 2D isometric game like Baldur's gate 1 and 2 (advertise it with "RETVRN of the LEGEND of RPGMAKER(tm)") and it would sell like pancakes but it would require 1: actual writers instead of wannabees and 2: people who love DnD. Both characteristics which Bioware is deprived of since at least Mass Effect.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The talent that made Bioware one of the greatest RPG studio ever is long gone. You need to look elsewhere. That logo is just an EA sub brand.

The talent that made Bioware one of the greatest RPG studio ever is long gone. You need to look elsewhere. That logo is just an EA sub brand.
Some of them are even dead. Like the dude who made the paperdolls for BG1, who was later honored by Bioware by making fucking shit paperdolls for bg2.

RIP.

Only this didn’t happen. They didn’t lose their autonomy and creative freedom. They weren’t forced by big bad EA to make shit, the shit was all BioWare. BioWare under EA is what happens when BioWare is left to their own devices.

I’m not even sure why people still buy into this idea of EA ruining BioWare outside of some bizarre cope given all the news that came out about BioWare mismanaging projects. And that’s on top of Greg Zeschuk saying EA let them do whatever they wanted after he’d already quit. And on top of that, that funny story where it was revealed someone from EA is the whole reason BioWare didn’t remove the flying from Anthem.

mediocrepoet

Patron

RIP.

Only this didn’t happen. They didn’t lose their autonomy and creative freedom. They weren’t forced by big bad EA to make shit, the shit was all BioWare. BioWare under EA is what happens when BioWare is left to their own devices.

I’m not even sure why people still buy into this idea of EA ruining BioWare outside of some bizarre cope given all the news that came out about BioWare mismanaging projects. And that’s on top of Greg Zeschuk saying EA let them do whatever they wanted after he’d already quit. And on top of that, that funny story where it was revealed someone from EA is the whole reason BioWare didn’t remove the flying from Anthem.

That's actually the thing, the core of Anthem, basically made by DICE was fun. Bioware just failed to do anything interesting with it because they devolved, on their own. They were leaning hard into going cinematic well before EA came around, they just had more resources to shit the bed with once EA came along.

Leaning into cinematic is something developers were into since the 80s, so I wouldn't pinpoint it on them. It's not like Bioware ever came out with groundbreaking stuff or something like that, in terms of design or even aesthetics. You could say their appeal was having "soul", as kids these days like to say.

9ted6

Educated
Basically EA didn't do Bioware any favors but their decline started with themselves and they would've ended up like they are now with or without the buyout.

You could maybe argue it's EA's fault that Bioware had to make sequels to DAO, but all EA did was give them a deadline and funding. They didn't mandate those sequels eat shit and according to employees they planned to make it its own franchise if it was financially successful, they just didn't have the sequels planned out until EA bought them.

J1M

Arcane
Also, since Origins Dragon age got progressively...childish. The decline is obvious:
DAO: you had your fiancee slain in elven origin, family murdered in human, can bargain with Desire demon to have little girl as a host, killing here soul effectively, can sell magic kid soul, can sell elves to slavery - which is obviously right thing to do, can sell elven tribe to werewolves, murder friends, go full blodd magic and desecrate remains of the holiest woman in thedas, execute Alistair.
DA2: yoг had your mother dismembered and stitched together with other cadavers, sister\brother dies, obviously morally virtuous selling of fenris to his rightful master, force Varric to kill his brother
DAI: I seriously can't remember any truly gritty or "hard" choices, entire game is so childish and their plots are on a 15 y.o. fanfics.
In DA:I you can choose to skip the song or watch the song.

There's some ugly consequences in DAI but they either happen during war table missions and therefore not with proper impact to the player or they just fall victim to the whataboutisms of the whole plot. Everything is subjective. There's no play on real dangers other than being killed because while it is a do or die situation, it means nothing when the Inquisition should've just established itself as a kingdom. Really, why aren't you able to crown yourself as king. It's the logical conclusion to everything.

After all, DA2 was the only game where the conflict felt true and poignant.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Also, since Origins Dragon age got progressively...childish. The decline is obvious:
DAO: you had your fiancee slain in elven origin, family murdered in human, can bargain with Desire demon to have little girl as a host, killing here soul effectively, can sell magic kid soul, can sell elves to slavery - which is obviously right thing to do, can sell elven tribe to werewolves, murder friends, go full blodd magic and desecrate remains of the holiest woman in thedas, execute Alistair.
DA2: yoг had your mother dismembered and stitched together with other cadavers, sister\brother dies, obviously morally virtuous selling of fenris to his rightful master, force Varric to kill his brother
DAI: I seriously can't remember any truly gritty or "hard" choices, entire game is so childish and their plots are on a 15 y.o. fanfics.
How is this a choice? I don't even know what the song is and can already tell that this is a skip.

Lodis

Educated
How is this a choice? I don't even know what the song is and can already tell that this is a skip.
The ironic part is you can't actually skip that entire sequence, I think it's the only actual cutscene in the entire game that you can't skip. Don't know if they changed it later but at least initially that was the case.

Still kino

Now if only there was a gay genderfluid tiefling voiced by Ashley Burch at the end who looks at the camera and says well THAT just happened before two fat hairy men make out.

I'm actually glad they took the series in such a garbage direction and literally turned it into Faggot Age. It makes viewing DAO as a standalone game that much easier because in all honesty it might as well be at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom