Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest 8

Xi

Arcane
Lestat said:
Are you saying that you utilize Wikipedia to form your opinions?
Of course not. I loved the sentence, so I posted it here. :)

Hehe ;P

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've played from DQ1 to DQ6 and they were great games especially 5 and 6 that had a very well written story. Then I've tried playing 7 and the story was complete crap. So Is the story any good here?

Also the art style is another turnoff for me. The guy that designed Dragonball (bleh!) has drawn all art for all DQ games but at least in the NES and SNES versions you couldn't make out the differences. God I hate Dragonball.

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
Drunken Irishman said:
When there is no choice involved in dialog it's better to have it has a non-interactive cutscene a la Final Fantasy 10 than to still require passively pressing x to move it forward.
Ok I see your point now. Didn't think of it that way before :o

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
ghostdog said:
Then I've tried playing 7 and the story was complete crap. So Is the story any good here?

I havn't played much of DQ8 but I will say that DQ7 held my interest longer than DQ8.

Andhaira

Arcane
8 has a great, good feeling type of story. it also has surprising twists and turns when you least expect it.

Just play the fdamn game! Its the swan song of jrpg's!!

Nameless0ne

Novice
Xi said:
A friend lent me this game and Dark Cloud 2 for my PS2. Haven't had much time to play, but for the few hours I've put in, I thought it had great art direction. Cell Shading works wonders for PS2 technology. It's very easy on the eyes. The monsters and animations have a charm to them as well. Definitely aimed at a younger crowd I think, but I still thought it was done well enough that my interest was peaked.

Not sure if I will get through it or not though. I tend to put in some effort here and there so it may take me 6 months to get anywhere. Dark Cloud 2 is similar art wise as well. I don't know why you'd do it any differently on PS2 technology. This is as good as it gets.

Also, Dark Cloud 2 is a pretty interesting JARPG. Not too shabby, I'd recommend it to anyone that likes this style. These games aren't as lame as a lot of them are. They really do have some charm. /shrug

Dark Cloud 2 is a great game :)

i would say Dark Cloud 2 > Dark Cloud 1

Higher Game

Arcane
DQ8 is the best of the whole damn series. First 3 were old school dungeon grinds with nothing really standing out, 4 was an attempt to be epic in an nes cart (an epic failure, maybe), 5 and 6 were inferior to their Final Fantasy cousins, 7 is one of the worst grinds ever, and 8 makes me happy and stiff. As far as jRPGs go, DQ8 is easy and there is absolutely no grinding at all if you have a brain and are willing to use it. It's definitely a game for kids, but it reminds me some of Chrono Trigger and other old school jRPGs and I love the art and music. It feels like it was made in 1995 (in a good way), but with modern hardware. The translation is also really great.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Then I'll just assume my roommate has no brain! Which is pretty good, it ties in with my infernal plans neatly.

Yet his girlfriend still lives...

Keldorn

Scholar
The Baldur's Gate series is blindly bashed by you bullies, yet the UBER retarded, cartoonish, sappy, hammy-cheesy, cutesy-wutesy, lame-o, predictable & childish JRPG format is heralded and praised around every Codexian corner for taking the disliked BG elements to the cosmic EXTREME.

Ohhhh, the paradoxical IRINY.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
DQ 4,5 and 6 are some of the best rpg's ever made and i consider them better than the FF games. I think I'll give a try at DQ8 when I finish with Witcher.

Andhaira

Arcane
The Bladurs ate series was quite good. Bg2 especially was a masterpeice in many respects. :)

However it could have been better had they implemented a turnbased system instead of the pause n play...though mainstream gamers may not have liked it that much then. thus Bioware went pause n play.

Bg2> BG1> DQ8

But DQ8 is still very good. So is ff10 and ff12.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Keldorn said:
JFC. Better than FF ? Holy fuck.
I'm comparing them to FF4,5 and 6 and I enjoyed the DQ games more (especially DQ5 and 6 have a very good story). Although FF4 and 6 are also two great games.

Special_Can

Scholar
The only JRPG I've ever played is Fianl Fantasy XII, and that was only about 5 hours. I got tired of the grinding pretty quickly, especially with the combat being so terrible.

I'm curious about two games that are supposed to be pretty good, but I have no idea: Rogue Galaxy(from the DQVIII developers) and Tales of The Abyss. I hear Tales of The Abyss has a very good and detailed story, and most of all no grinding! So, what are peoples thoughts on the games? Good or not?

A user named cat

Pretty much every "Tales of..." game has had a pretty damn good battle system which makes them more enjoyable than a lot of other jRPGs, if that helps your choice at all. So I wouldn't look at grinding as a bad thing in those regards, as the combat is actually enjoyable. Tales of Eternia for Gamecube was a fun game with a decent story so I'd assume the Abyss title isn't much different. They look quite similar as well. I wouldn't expect some deep, well written plot considering the translation problems every jRPG suffers from though. But the reviews for it are overall quite positive.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Special_Can said:
I'm curious about two games that are supposed to be pretty good, but I have no idea: Rogue Galaxy(from the DQVIII developers) and Tales of The Abyss. I hear Tales of The Abyss has a very good and detailed story, and most of all no grinding! So, what are peoples thoughts on the games? Good or not?

If you consider Oblivion to have a deep and great combat system, you might like Rogue Galaxy. Similarly, if you enjoyed Oblivion's storyline and characters, Tales of the Abyss might be to your tastes as well. "No grinding" in the latter translates to "repetitive combat devoid of challenge". Yeah, you could turn up the difficulty, but that doesn't make the gameplay any less broken, just makes encounters take longer. (On the hardest difficulty, the very first battle takes about 2 hours, or so). Though then again, I found FFXII to be low on grinding, so your definition of the term may differ.

So, if you're going to make an exception and play Japanese action-RPGs, might as well choose one that's actually good.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The Tales games are some of the most abysmal JRPG abominations to ever come about... you might as well watch an episode of Pokemon.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:
I played two Tales games. There may be many more games in the series, but I feel quite secure in saying that the series is utter crap based solely on Symphonia and Phantasia.
Eh, generalizations. Might as well say that the Fallout series is utter crap based solely on Bethesda's The Geiger Scrolls: Fallout, then.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
pkt-zer0 said:
Admiral jimbob said:
I played two Tales games. There may be many more games in the series, but I feel quite secure in saying that the series is utter crap based solely on Symphonia and Phantasia.
Eh, generalizations. Might as well say that the Fallout series is utter crap based solely on Bethesda's The Geiger Scrolls: Fallout, then.

Er, no, because that's made by a different company altogether. Weren't all the Tales games made by the one team?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
There's like 20 different Tales games and there's lots of crossover... they're all dogshit, though.

EDIT: As of 2003 all of the Tales games are handled by the Namco Tales Studio, so technically Jimbob was correct.

Special_Can

Scholar
pkt-zer0 said:
Special_Can said:

If you consider Oblivion to have a deep and great combat system, you might like Rogue Galaxy. Similarly, if you enjoyed Oblivion's storyline and characters, Tales of the Abyss might be to your tastes as well. "No grinding" in the latter translates to "repetitive combat devoid of challenge". Yeah, you could turn up the difficulty, but that doesn't make the gameplay any less broken, just makes encounters take longer. (On the hardest difficulty, the very first battle takes about 2 hours, or so). Though then again, I found FFXII to be low on grinding, so your definition of the term may differ.

So, if you're going to make an exception and play Japanese action-RPGs, might as well choose one that's actually good.

Thanks for the info. Is there any good Jrpg's? More specifically, for the PS2?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom