Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Anyways I was calling out the "adaptive difficulty" long before the game released in this very thread. It never fucking worked in anything. I am a firm believer in difficulty levels. Even level scaling is better, and it's garbage. This adaptive difficulty thing is horseshit, but the Drake thing is funny.

Anonona

Learned
True, Starfield has dialogue choices and qt least some choice & consequence.
Both DD1 and DD2 do have quest with multiple solutions and that have consequences later on, more so DD2 than DD1. In fact, often times it doesn't tell you the choices and you have to figure it out, and the consequences may present themselves later on.

For example. In DD1 there is a mage that asks you to find a Grimoire. If you give it to him, he will show later on in a quest to help you fight a monster. But you can also give him a false copy, which means that when he shows up, he will try to cast the spell on the book and fail. There are multiple instances of this through DD1, not too many but there are some. And many times the consequences are seen until much later.

DD2 has a lot more, and a lot of quest have multiple not so obvious solutions. For example, "A Beggars' Tale" has around 4 possible outcomes, 2 of them are not indicated neither by the quest log or marker, you have to figure it out yourself. in another case I will try not to spoil, you can get a bad ending in a quest that has as a consequence that you lose access to a shop. But then if you do another quest where a young man needs guidance about what to do with his life, you can suggest to take over the now vacant shop. So sometimes the bad ending for some quest open up new solutions in other unrelated quests.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Nobody here plays Starfield. If they do they're either troons or pedophiles, or both (they go hand in hand). Don't bring that disgusting filth up ITT.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I was curious to see (1) if it's possible to reach Volcano Island from the beginning of the game?
The answer is Yes for 1st question;
Yeah on /vg/ people have been saying this game has alot of sequence breaking potential

Comparing this game to Starfield is fucking ridiculous
True, Starfield has dialogue choices and at least some choice & consequence.

Plus it offers multiple save slots. Never thought that one day I'd call it an important feature, but here we are and this is what it is.
You now what Starfield lacks though?
Good gameplay

Yosharian

Arcane
I was curious to see (1) if it's possible to reach Volcano Island from the beginning of the game?
The answer is Yes for 1st question;
Yeah on /vg/ people have been saying this game has alot of sequence breaking potential

Comparing this game to Starfield is fucking ridiculous
True, Starfield has dialogue choices and at least some choice & consequence.

Plus it offers multiple save slots. Never thought that one day I'd call it an important feature, but here we are and this is what it is.
You now what Starfield lacks though?
Good gameplay
Starfield lacks anything good, it is wholly shit

Anonona

Learned
Not all games need swimming, specially when level design may suffer from it and the gameplay avenues it could offer aren't worth it.

For example, another franchise from Capcom, Monster Hunter had swimming and underwater combat in the third installment. In the end, the gameplay was slower and more boring than the standard, so it was removed in the next one.

If we could swim in DD, while it may actually offer new options, you would have to sacrifice level and map design, as now water wouldn't be that much of an obstacle as well has having to program how enemies will behave, which is more workload for a feature that may not even improve gameplay that much nor be very relevant for most of the game.

Does being able to swim really matters that much in Starfield? Haven't seen anyone praise it for its swimming mechanics or underwater gameplay

Shaki

Arbiter
Not all games need swimming, specially when level design may suffer from it and the gameplay avenues it could offer aren't worth it.

For example, another franchise from Capcom, Monster Hunter had swimming and underwater combat in the third installment. In the end, the gameplay was slower and more boring than the standard, so it was removed in the next one.

If we could swim in DD, while it may actually offer new options, you would have to sacrifice level and map design, as now water wouldn't be that much of an obstacle as well has having to program how enemies will behave, which is more workload for a feature that may not even improve gameplay that much nor be very relevant for most of the game.

Does being able to swim really matters that much in Starfield? Haven't seen anyone praise it for its swimming mechanics or underwater gameplay
There is no underwater gameplay in Starfield, you have 2 janky animations for swimming on the surface and that's it, no diving allowed.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
there is no underwater gameplay in Starfield because Bethesda did not implement diving. You can only swim on the surface.

Still lack of even such limited ability is pretty lame in Dragon's Dogma. Yes, I agree it would require some effort from the devs. But the concept of brine is just a lazy cop-out.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From steam:

This game has a dynamic difficulty scaling. Not much is known but based on your performance the game gets more difficult. For some player it seems buggy.
One guy performed so good, only Drakes spawn in his game.

What I noticed in my game is:
- I need the same time to kill a Cyclops now with level 63 and op gear as when I was level 20 with low gear -> they must get more health and defense and stagger resistance
-normal Ogre hit much harder and can 3 shot me, at the beginning it was far easier to kill them
- Concerning Dullahan the one in the side mission was manageable, but if I encounter them now, they get barely damage and hit hard.

Yeah. This is bad design.
No, that's fucking terrible design.
Copying the worst templates...

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
But the concept of brine is just a lazy cop-out.
The ability to swim would require swimming related activities
Exploration would be fine, but combat (the main attraction of the game) most likely wouldn't
Therefore the decision not to include swimming is sensible and the Brine allows the devs to make deep bodies of water a danger for players to take in consideration

Anonona

Learned
It also helps explain why there are so many Saurians at land and why they die when throw into deep bodies of water.

Also...

..the brine has plot relevance in DD2, and two new enemies are covered in it. If you try to climb them you suffer the same effects as going into deep water.

Stoned Ape

Savant
So, I maxed Warrior and I really enjoyed bullying big monsters, especially ogres and minotaurs. However, I still found more agile creatures annoying to deal with. As I tend to find fighting those enemies the least enjoyable part of the game, I used a mage and 2 archer pawns to do that for me which meant I spent a lot of time just lumbering about chasing after quick things until my pawns eventually killed them. Overall, a mixed gameplay experience with relatively rare but huge dopamine spiked highs and frequent annoying, frustrating lows.

Now I'm on to Mystic Spearhand which has goofiest vocation name ever. I suppose when it's basically cobbled together by one dude who has an odd naming sense that should follow, though. I love the details that they've added to reinforce this such as class names for the abilities which are also weird and goofy.

I changed vocation at the border town and went into Bettahl for the first time at level 40-ish. Initially I found the area much more challenging than Vermond, I'm not entirely sure how much that was due to me having pretty basic gear and having vocation Rank 1, how much of it was due to learning that new vocation, and how much was due to the enemies being more powerful.

Initially the Mystic seemed strong on offence but extremely fragile and very easily staggered. I got as far as clearing out the Coral Snake lair and killing a 'roid Ogre and a Griffin. Damage output with hard attacks was very nice (I still had a load of strong augments set so hit like a truck if I tagged their heads). I somehow lost my main pawn during that quest (I went charging off after the runner and she fell down somewhere while trying to catch up with me I think?) so used a Ferrystone to take me back to civilisation so I could get my pawn back and visit a Vocation Guild to learn some abilities as I'd reached Rank 4 during that little excursion.

After that I walked over to the capital, killed a few sandstone golems and another Griffin on the way, then went out exploring when a hired sorcerer pawn decided to launch some sort of nuke at a harpy while we were standing on a rope bridge and kill us with gravity. Nice.

General Thoughts:

Basic attacks seem to take a bit longer to initiate than a Fighter or a Thief, but quicker than a Warrior. They do a lot of damage (especially the hard attack rend/gut strike). If you don't have Mirour Vesture running you have to be very careful as you can get staggered and dogpiled very easily. With it up you're invulnerable. I tend to try to keep it activated as often as I can, which means limiting other special attacks and relying on upgraded basic moves with the occasional Dragoun's Stabbe to quickly reposition or Scatering Bolt to stunlock a harpy. Skiedragoun's Fangtooth is also pretty great, you have to be careful with the timing if you want to use it as a counter, though. I found Seching Blade a bit underwhelming, range is quite short and it looks a bit naff. Not had the chance to try the other abilities out yet, will probably swap out Seching Blade for Thef's Hond to see if that helps keeping the shield up for longer.

I have to anticipate and plan a bit when playing this vocation. Most of the abilities don't activate immediately and you are vulnerable when setting them up. If you can keep Mirour Vesture's shield up you can't be hurt, but you can only activate it when you're standing still and it takes a second or so to get started. If you can keep it up you'll probably win, but it's duration is pretty short, it can run out unexpectedly when you're in the middle of an animation, and it burns through stamina. It might be worth getting levels in Mage for the stamina regen boost and the enchantment duration buff augments? I don't know because I generally prefer melee or archery to pure mages so I've ignored them.

So far it's been fun learning to play a Mystic Spearhand. It doesn't seem as overpowered as Thief, but my opinion might change as I get more used to playing the vocation. So far I definitely prefer it to Mystic Knight from DDDA.

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
I'm finding the pussy Drakes in this game infuriating. Knock them down to around 2 bars of health and they chicken out and fly away. There seems to be no way I can stop them from escaping so no matter what I do I've not been able to kill one.

I've even tried targeting their wings specifically but I can't get my character to hit them, every time I climb up onto their back or side my character just keeps stabbing them in the body no matter how much I'm facing the wing. General attacks don't seem to hit their wings, either.

Might have to go back to playing Thief just so I can Skullsplitter their wings to stop them from pissing off in the middle of a fight.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
However, I still found more agile creatures annoying to deal with.
I've heard that weirdly Warrior can face tank a shitload of damage from singular foes, but the moment you have multiple opponents he can be quickly knocked down

If this is true then how the hell does knockdown damage work?

Zariusz

Arbiter
Man those collapsed cut content gates are getting even more annoying, i even had npc dialogue from Vermund gate guards that mentioned queen sending them in search for some weird sealed gates. I wonder if data miners are already working on this game.

Elttharion

Learned
But the concept of brine is just a lazy cop-out.
The ability to swim would require swimming related activities
Exploration would be fine, but combat (the main attraction of the game) most likely wouldn't
Therefore the decision not to include swimming is sensible and the Brine allows the devs to make deep bodies of water a danger for players to take in consideration
Capcom already tried underwater combat in MH3 and it was terrible, its no surprise they didnt want to implement it in their other games.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Man those collapsed cut content gates are getting even more annoying, i even had npc dialogue from Vermund gate guards that mentioned queen sending them in search for some weird sealed gates. I wonder if data miners are already working on this game.
Capcom gotta eat, man. Without all that cut content (that they'll later repackage into DLCs), they'd go hungry.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Despite the combat missteps and weak enemy variety I'm still having fun with it. The tiny world was my main issue with the first game so this is a big improvement. I enjoy exploring the world while the HP system and dark nights mean planning around camping is important. Adds a nice level of tension and rythym to the game.

The two big takeaways from this game for me are the party and job system. Western devs never do party-based action games, and they won't do a flexible class building system. It's always gotta be single character and skill points. Lame.

Capcom gotta eat, man. Without all that cut content (that they'll later repackage into DLCs), they'd go hungry.
Literally every game ever made has cut content you goon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom