Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread

Jashiin

Arcane
It did mine too, but I've since discovered a weird ati w7 driver bug that forces black bars on the upside and underside of my monitor when I go to 1280x720 in windows, thus squashing the aspect ratio and ofcourse the option to "keep aspect ratio" in catalyst center is greyed out. A problem ati apparently haven't fixed since 2009. Wtf.

In conclusion, your engine test works flawlessly dr.dungeon. But I've got some shit to sort out myself.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has mine pegged down to 1280x720, and aspect ratio at 16:9.
It seems to work right.

PeeWee

Augur
Somebody told Dr. Dungeon it did not work on his / her computer. If other people have the same problem, please do not keep this information to yourself.

To Jashiin: could you give more information?

Also, Dr. Dungeon is now aiming for release of the new "MadMan" and for the major announcement in September 2013. Another delay.

Jashiin

Arcane
Somebody told Dr. Dungeon it did not work on his / her computer. If other people have the same problem, please do not keep this information to yourself.

To Jashiin: could you give more information?

Also, Dr. Dungeon is now aiming for release of the new "MadMan" and for the major announcement in September 2013. Another delay.

It is not a problem with dr dungeon's engine. It works and everything checks out. Just for some reason windows decides that setting 1280 x 720 as a resolution it has to change the aspect ratio squeezing in the screen and giving me two horizontal black bars on my screen. It is not isolated to the test application, all programs have this problem. It's something i need to sort out and when i do i'll post the solution for posterity but I run 1920x1080 always so I'll wait until the game comes out.

DrDungeon

Developer
Jashinn - thanks so much for your test. I did a little checking and found that quite a few people are having various problems with the win 7 ati driver's. It was hard to tell but I sort of got the impression that it might have to do with certain cards being supported by the drivers and others not.

I'll continue to look into this for you as a little token of my appreciation - not only for madman, but other games you might be playing. The good news is that a lot of people are bugging ati about this, so hopefully they'll do something!

PW - as usual, thank you for the up and up.

Yes, he's right - delay again. (Maybe Cleve will beat me afterall!)

The actual game is practically done, and I'm very proud of the way its turned out. What's left is a lot of little fussy stuff like the options panel, character create panel, intro and end sequence, and of course the odd problem my one programming friend is having in that his Mac is identifying the resolution program as a PPC app when its actually an intel mac app, and this is very confusing so I'm working with some of my programming friends to resolve this.

I have made a new version of the resolution checker for Mac and sent it off to my friend with the Mac. If he gets it working, I'll get it to Peewee for uploading once I'm sure its ok.

It has the advantage that the picture panels are now built-in so the program is stand-alone.

I'll post updates when they come. We're getting close to "crunch" mode here. Thanks again, -Rob

norolim

Arcane
I don't think anyone tested it on 5:4, so here it is:

I'm using a 1280x1024 LCD screen.
  • detected as 16:10, 1280x800 and streached vertically;
  • green boxes are obviously not square and the lower red outlines at the bottom of the screen are not visible;
  • no black bars anywhere

PeeWee

Augur
Hello.

I talked with Dr. Dungeon some more.

Baking bread will be possible in both the new "MadMan" and "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops".

Ol’ Killer, the Water Witch and the Fire Witch will all three be there in the new "MadMan".

The Water Witch will be there in "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops".

In the old "MadMan" you meet Dennis on a farm. In the new "MadMan" you will have to save this farm from a curse.

The gentleman, who was going to do the music / sound / music-score of "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops" and who got busy himself, will not do the music / sound / music-score for the new "MadMan" and maybe will not do this for "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops" either.

Dr. Dungeon may make a new "resolution checker" and / or a "test engine".

The estimated new time for the completion of the new "MadMan" for "Windows" and the major announcement is Halloween 2013.

PeeWee

Augur
Please remember the new "MadMan" will be far, far more than an "Enhanced Edition".

Please allow me to stress two things I reported before.
1:
""MadMan II" and "ULTIZURK V: The Mach Gryphon" are two of the games which Dr. Dungeon has never started writing and are just titles."
2:
"There is a sort of nemesis in the games by Dr. Dungeon. He appears for the first time in the game "ZURK II: The World Below". There he is the gentleman and the thief, who are the same person. He is also the Shadow Master in
"ULTIZURK II: The Shadow Master". Unlike "Grandmaster" and "Guildmaster", the Shadow Master is a character, not a rank. Dr. Dungeon told me that this nemesis will also be there in "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops"."

Dr. Dungeon has been and still is very busy with the new "MadMan". The programming includes jumping backwards and forwards to adjust things.

For those of you who are confused about the Water Witch and the Fire Witch:
the Water Witch will be in both the new "MadMan" and "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops". The Fire Witch will be in the new "MadMan". Maybe she will be in "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops", maybe not. Maybe the Water Witch and the Fire Witch are each other’s sister and maybe in
the new "MadMan" the player has a quest in which he / she must unite them both without having them destroying each other, because water and fire do not go together.

For those of you who are confused about baking bread:
baking bread will be possible in both the new "MadMan" and "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops".

For those of you who are confused about Ol’ Killer:
Ol’ Killer will be in both the new "MadMan" and "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops".

I, PW, am confused about a character called the Queen of the Amazon Nation. I do not know if she will be in the new "MadMan" and / or "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops".

In the old "MadMan" the MadMan can watch people dancing a wine-dance. In the new "MadMan" the MadMan will join this wine-dance.

Dr. Dungeon reports about the new "MadMan":
- There will be a version for "Windows" and a version for the "Macintosh".
- The version for "Windows" will come first and the version for the "Macintosh" will come later.
- Ol’ Killer will run a lemonade-stand in the game.

Dr. Dungeon reports about "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops":
- It will be possible to make popcorn in the game.
- It will be possible to pickpocket people in the game.
- Among others Losi-the-Siren will be in the game.
- Ol’ Killer might run a lemonade-stand in the game.
- "The Princess Sileapenthe" will be in the game.
- Also the Pirate Queen will be in the game.

For those of you who do not know it, I, PW, am the play-tester from the Netherlands Dr. Dungeon was talking about on page 2 of this thread. Now I, PW, would like to ask you, gentlemen and ladies, for help. I tested both the latest version and the version before that of "Wraith" and I wonder if the music / sound / music-score are as Dr. Dungeon had wanted them to be. As for both the new "MadMan" and "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops", the music / sound / music-score are a serious problem. As I mentioned before:

"The gentleman, who was going to do the music / sound / music-score of "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops" and who got busy himself, will not do the music / sound / music-score for the new "MadMan" and maybe will not do this for "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops" either."

Dr. Dungeon might have to ask a musician for help with the new "MadMan" and / or "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops".

Then there is another serious problem with the new "MadMan" and "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops". This is about the resolutions. Several of you have used the "resolution-checker" / "test-engine". Dr. Dungeon talked, and may still be talking, with other programmers on the Internet.

There is another problem as for "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops". We know there will be both a version of the new "MadMan" for "Windows" and a version for the "Macintosh". Should Dr. Dungeon release "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops" for "Windows" only, for the "Macintosh" only, or both? What do you, gentlemen and ladies, think?

So it is about:
- the music / sound / music-score in both games
- the resolutions for both games
- as for "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops": "Windows", the "Macintosh" or both

Does anybody have any ideas as for one, two or all three problems? If so, please report them here. I think these are three of the most important problems that have caused years of delays in both the new "MadMan" and "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops".

Thank you if you have read all this.

Jashiin

Arcane
For those of you who are confused about baking bread:
baking bread will be possible in both the new "MadMan" and "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops".

In the old "MadMan" the MadMan can watch people dancing a wine-dance. In the new "MadMan" the MadMan will join this wine-dance.

This game is going to be fucking awesome :love:

PeeWee

Augur
There is a fourth serious problem. Just like Dr. Dungeon might need a musician for the music / sound / music-score, he might need an artist for the art, including the portraits and maybe cut-scenes. Deuce Traveler, thank you for your idea. I have mentioned it to
Dr. Dungeon. He could now make that new thread looking for a musician and / or an artist.

Dr. Dungeon reports about the new "MadMan":
- The player must turn on / activate the City of Gold and White.
- There will be a quest with a "Lost Page" for five final spells to get after Leomund’s tests.
- There will be a special monster in an ice area, basically a blue wereshade called an "Ice Shade".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PeeWee Tell Dr. Dungeon to talk to Kenneth Kully of the Ultima Codex about these things. He should have Kenneth's email.

PeeWee

Augur
Dr. Dungeon might hire a musician for
the music / sound / music-score in the new "MadMan" and / or "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops".

Dr. Dungeon might hire an artist for the art, including the portraits and maybe cut-scenes, in the new "MadMan" and / or
"ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops".

Infinitron, thank you for your help. I have mentioned your information to Dr. Dungeon.

PeeWee

Augur
I, PW, would like to thank Infinitron, Deuce Traveler, Jashiin and everybody else for their comments.

I talked with Dr. Dungeon some more.

Dr. Dungeon says the main game of the new "MadMan" is completed, including:
- the old "MadMan"
- all the towns
- all the quests, except for the quest with the "Lost Page" for the five final spells to get after Leomund’s tests
- all the people, including the Water Witch, the Fire Witch and Ol’ Killer, if they are really people

There will be many things you can interact with in the new "MadMan" and "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops". In the new "MadMan" and / or "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops" it will be possible to:
- bake bread
- make swords
- pop popcorn
- trim sheep
- create potions
- knit cloth
and many other things in both games.

PeeWee

Augur
Dr. Dungeon has not written to Kenneth because Dr. Dungeon thinks it has something to do with advertising somewhere for a musician and / or an artist. Dr. Dungeon cannot afford paying those people, so writing Kenneth would not make sense.

Dr. Dungeon reports his idea is to make the new "Madman" as professional as possible.

Dr. Dungeon reports the new "MadMan" will likely be delayed again.

Now that the main game is done, Dr. Dungeon is working on the options-panel and other panels and menus. When you fire up the new "MadMan", you see a panel pop up with this:

Start New Game
Load Game (which will be grayed out / greyed out if there is no saved game yet)
Instructions
Settings
Quit

"Start New Game" will take you to the Character Create panel. When you are done there, it will go right to the intro, then the game. Dr. Dungeon does not have the create or intro in yet.

If there are saved games, "Load Game" will take you to the load game area which will have at least 10 slots. The player types a name here. Dr. Dungeon has not done this yet, either.

"Instructions" just gives you a brief summary of at least the controls.

Settings will at least have options to control walking speed and combat speed. Dr. Dungeon has already done this.

"Quit" quits the game.

Now, when you are playing and hit the options icon, it gives a slightly different menu:

Return to Game
Save Game
Load Game (which will be gray / grey if no saved game exitst)
Settings
Main Menu

In some cases, the game will ask something like: "Are you sure?" Dr. Dungeon has not done this yet.

Saving will not be possible in combat. During combat "Save Game" will be gray / grey. You might be able to load, exit to the Main Menu or adjust the speed in settings. Dr. Dungeon has already finished all this.

Among things to do are:
- the "Are you sure?"-panels and the "Are you sure?"-sub-menus, probably with a "yes"-button and a "no"-button
- "Character Create"
- functions for loading and saving
- the intro
- maybe the ending

Jashiin

Arcane
I asume there will be a manual. The instructions menu might contain brief summaries, or the complete thing even, of key gameplay aspects like combat, combining items etc.

DrDungeon

Developer
Yes! I made MadMan with possibly the most intuitive interface ever. Everything is snappy and easy to understand. I know a lot of people don't like to read manuals, so when you go to the manual from the options panel, you'll see a single page briefly outlining game play. Under that will be a "details" button, which will give full detail to all functions. This section of the manual will probably be similar to the way the Spiderweb games do it.

Its funny you asked, because with the game essentially done, I'm working right now on the character create panel and next on the list is the manual.

I'm doing everything I can to make the game as professional as possible. The way it looks, works and acts isn't at all like my older games.

Comparing the older games to this new game is like comparing a 1985 Yugo GV to a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren.

PeeWee

Augur
Thank you for your comments, Infinitron, Deuce Traveler, Jashiin and Dr. Dungeon.

Dr. Dungeon reports something new about the resolutions as for both the new "MadMan" and "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops". As for the new "MadMan", resolution will work fine on any widescreen. On a square screen, it will work as a "letter box", meaning black bars top and bottom. However, players must have their screen / video settings to "maintain aspect ratio". The new "MadMan" has no control over that. What caused "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops" not to be released years ago was that Dr. Dungeon made it all in 1920x1200. A big mistake as there was no way to shrink it and many people use notebooks etc. with lower resolutions. It was just a terrible oversight on Dr. Dungeon’s part. This problem will be solved with the new "MadMan"! I, PW, suppose Dr. Dungeon now has enough knowledge to prevent and / or fix this problem in "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops".

Anyway, Dr. Dungeon reports both the new "MadMan" and "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops" will work in both "Windows" and the "Macintosh". "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops" will be ported into the same engine as the new "MadMan". It will look and run similar. That means that if or when the new "MadMan" works, "ULTIZURK IV: Lord of the Cyclops" will work too.

Among other things, Dr. Dungeon still has to do or has already done:
- the character create panel
- the buttons that control how many points somebody wants in the various skills and stats
- the manual

Thank you, if you have read all this.

DrDungeon

Developer
Thanks for the heads up, PeeWee!

Just so the folks know it is not your opinion that Dr. Dungeon made a terrible oversight or a big mistake. It was my own words sent to PW. What happened there is that when I got my iMac in 2007, I decided to port the klunky and unfinished Windows UZ4 to the Mac and make improvements.

The first "improvement" was when I noticed I have all this screen real estate to work with, 1920x1200 wheee! So I went nuts and drew dozens of elaborate panels to fill up the screen. THEN I realized that a whole slew of potential players don't have 1920x1200 iMacs! Many will use notebooks with lower resolutions. There was no way to re-do the whole thing so it just sat there in limbo. (Its still there!)

There were other problems with the old UZ4. The screen view was too large compared to the tiny inventories, which gave it an unbalanced look. Something about the whole thing looked like a webpage rather than a game. The interface was terrible, relying on icons rather than a snappier, intuitive cursor.

The idea of MadMan was to start from scratch, and fix all these issues from the ground up, using only the graphics set and some of the functions from UZ4.

The resolution issue was mostly solved by going lower, so I checked stats on many different desktops as well as notebooks and it seems almost all of them supported 1280x800, which had become sort of the "new" 1024x768. Then of course widescreens were becoming the big thing, like everywhere. At first 16:10 then later, apparently because of movies and DVD's, 16:9.

They say our eyes move mostly left to right rather than top to down as the reason for the proliferation of widescreens.

So the last issue was to make a few extra panels in the game and some minor changes so that it will look good in either ratio, filling the whole screen nicely. It can still run on a 4:3 square screen, in a letter box, but I've learned that this ratio is used by only a small percentage of computer owners.

Yes, I'm working on the character create panel right now. It is similar in some ways to the game "Escahalon". I made things fairly wide and open, giving it a very clean, crisp sort of look. I'll see about getting a screen shot up.

The tricky part - not hard, just tedious, is making the program track the mouse properly over all the buttons, etc., plus a built-in information scheme that describes every stat, etc., on the screen as you roll the mouse. Not a hard thing, just a pain. :)

As far as UZ4 goes, it would be ported into the "MAD" engine. But if that happens depends a lot on how MadMan does. Dr. D.

DrDungeon

Developer
I've been in regular contact with a fellow Indy developer whose working on a game that's gotten pretty much attention. We've traded a lot of ideas in programming. He's also a lot more savvy than me when it comes to the whole marketing thing, so I'll pretty much follow his lead. I suppose the best thing that could happen would be if I got it on Steam. Indeed, on my master list of "things to do" I have marketing there at the bottom. Its just totally insane the amount of work and effort that goes into making and selling a game these days, even an Indy game. My notebooks here - a slew of them, college-ruled with scribblings of numbers and notes and diagrams, filled. Yet the thing that appears over and over again is this list: "Last things to do!" -Dr. D.

PeeWee

Augur
To Deuce Traveler I sent a screenshot for uploading in / on this thread. It is from "Character Create". Note that "Character Create" still has not been finished. "Character Create" needs at least a few more numbers plugged in.

We are still waiting for the major announcement.

The new "MadMan" is probably delayed again.

The major announcement and the version of the new "MadMan" for "Windows" may now appear in November 2013.

Dr. Dungeon also reports:
- The manual is not hard, just a lot of typing.
- One of the major programming jobs for the new "MadMan", which still has to be done, is the save and load functions. This is only tricky because there are hundreds of variables Dr. Dungeon needs to save, and test a lot to make sure the game restores properly when loading.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
create.bmp

Thanks PeeWee! Looking good!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoa. We've definitely left Ultima clone territory here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom