Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Dreamfall Chapters - Console Immersion Action Decline Kickstarter [Spoilers]

Boleskine

Arcane
Kickstarter update #73

New Year's update and introducing the Mole

A belated Happy New Year to all of our backers! Sixteen days in, we hope 2015 has been a good year so far for everyone!

"Enough pleasantries, Red Thread," we hear you say (because you're all speaking in your outside voices and waving your arms a lot). "What about Book Two? We, the people, demand to know!"

You, the people: we hear you!

Book Two is about to enter final approach. The seats are upright, the entertainment systems have been switched off and drinks are no longer being served. Everyone has their seat belts on and tray tables up. There may be some turbulence ahead, and the pilot has just informed us that a couple of the instruments are acting up, but we expect to make it to the gate without any serious injuries.

In other words: Book Two is currently the only thing on our minds here at RTG central, and we're getting closer by the day. There's polishing going on, there's intense bug fixing, there are a few voice recording sessions left -- it's crunch time.

And, as we said before Christmas, when we're about 10-12 days away from release, we'll announce a landing ti-- uh, a date.

Before then, however, there's plenty to talk about. Starting next week, we'll be ramping up our enormous PR and marketing machine in order to get everyone talking about Dreamfall Chapters Book Two: Rebels!

(And by 'massive' we mean "one person, part-time, scrambling to put together enough artwork and videos to generate attention and excitement". We're nothing if not indie to the core.)

"But what about today, Red Thread?" you're shouting, because it's really hard to get a word in with us going on. "What do you have for us today?"

Today we have a brand new screenshot from Book Two (Rebels!) and we also have two lovely pieces of concept art, featuring an important character from our next episode:

This is Bandu-Ma-Seri, the Mole, and she defies expectations!

The Mole holds court in a cellar burrow within the borders of Oldtown, the magic ghetto. From here, she runs an underground network of magicals trafficking illegal weapons into the city and children out of the city, in addition to maintaining her iron grip on the Marcurian underground through the Hand.

The Mole is ancient, and mean, and deadly. She's also clever, charismatic, wise. Living amongst humans, she's never once considered herself part of the human world, and she hates people with a passion. Magicals are more acceptable to her, and the more they're hated and feared by humans, the better they are in her eyes. But she enjoys the power she has in Marcuria, and she really enjoys the money she makes, and she doesn't want to return to living in a burrow in the forest.

This is how the Mole currently looks in-game (the location and lighting are still work-in-progress), although the first time you meet her, the mask will be on and she will not be in a good mood.

That's it for today. Next week we'll be back with a really cool update, but until then, have a great weekend!

Team RTG

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
9536.jpg

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DqHFrgX.jpg

Whoa, different outfits and hairstyles, can it even get more consequence than that?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If 5774 (4%) players did like their page then they sold around 144350 pieces of that shit.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
Well sheeeet, guess I'm gonna have another go at Social Justice Journey: Patriarchyfall. It's ok though, shouldn't take more than an hour. :roll:

Deleted member 7219

I'm interested to see what comes of these choices. They've promised real consequences to them, so we'll see if they're just another Telltale or not.

Boleskine

Arcane
Book Two arrives on March 10.

Trailer coming on February 24.

Hi everyone,

Exciting news! We're finally announcing the Book Two release date this afternoon (Oslo time) and we wanted you to be (amongst) the first to know.

Here is the full press release we're sending out, plus some additional words for our backers at the end:

Dreamfall Chapters Book One: Reborn was released late last year, and we're now almost ready to unleash our second episode.

Dreamfall Chapters Book Two: Rebels arrives on Steam, GOG and the Humble Store for Windows/Mac/Linux Tuesday March 10th.

The highly rated and Kickstarter funded follow-up to adventure classics The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, Dreamfall Chapters is an episodic story-driven adventure about choice and consequence set in parallel worlds: a cyberpunk vision of the future and a magical fantasy realm.

Book Two continues the story that began with Book One, and follows protagonists Kian Alvane and Zoë Castillo on their journeys to uncover the conspiracy that threatens the twin worlds of order and chaos.

In addition to revisiting locations and characters from Book One, Book Two contains a brand new city to explore: Marcuria, the capital of the Northlands, home to the Azadi occupying forces and the resistance.

The first full trailer for Book Two will arrive February 24th.

So why March 10th, and not February, as teased on Twitter a few weeks ago?

We initially expected Book Two to launch before the end of February (in fact, February 24th was our set-in-stone release date) but a few days ago we realised that this wasn't going to happen.

The wait between the first two episodes has been longer than expected. This is due to a number of factors, including the massive scope of the second episode — up to 50% bigger than Book One, which took an average of four hours to play through — the technical challenges in building (and bug fixing) a functioning framework for an episodic game, and the very, very long test cycle involved in a choice-and-consequence based game that's now approaching ten hours in length after only two episodes.

It was the (lack of) testing and bug fixing that triggered our decision to delay release a couple of weeks. Book Two is officially done, and the team is working on Book Three, but we haven't been able to test it thoroughly enough to be comfortable with releasing it just yet. With another two weeks of testing, bug fixing and polishing, we will be able to deliver a much more stable and enjoyable experience.

We do anticipate a more rapid development process for Book Three, however, which is already well into production. Books Four and Five will arrive later this year, concluding the story of Zoë Castillo, the Dreamer.

Thanks everyone for your continued support and feedback, and we hope the wait for Book Two won't be too painful!

Team RTG

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
In addition to revisiting locations and characters from Book One, Book Two contains a brand new city to explore: Marcuria, the capital of the Northlands, home to the Azadi occupying forces and the resistance.
Hopefully performance won't be utter shit again.

Name

Cipher
I started for 5 minutes and then Zoe (I always like April Ryan better) told me to stop playing video games and go out shopping and having lots of sex. I failed to comprehend this message fully and suffered an anxiety attack.

Now I hesitate to continue this magical journey.

Deleted member 7219

I started for 5 minutes and then Zoe (I always like April Ryan better) told me to stop playing video games and go out shopping and having lots of sex. I failed to comprehend this message fully and suffered an anxiety attack.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that.

Name

Cipher

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that.

All right I'm just out of shrink's office and this game keeps giving me bad feelings and headaches, I'll shelve it until I grow up and stop using games for escapism and entertainment. Can't believe this is from the same guy who did Secret World too.

Deleted member 7219

AAA level writing, voice-acting and storytelling
That's reassuring.

Just curious, what do native English speakers think of the quality of its writing and voice-over?

Her accent is annoying and the language is very SJW/hipster-ish. But I still like it.

I'm not sure why. I think Dreamfall sucked me in because of its outstanding visuals and nice soundtrack. I'm playing Chapters because I'm hoping for similar things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keshik

Arcane
http://redthreadgames.com/forum/topic/1415-kickstarter-update-79/

Book Two is LIVE on Steam!
Heads up, backers:

We're not making an official announcement yet (since we wanted YOU guys to be the first to
know) but we have just this VERY MINUTE released Book Two: Rebels to Steam! Grab it now
and start choicing-and-consequencing before the word gets out.

DRM-free GOG and Humble Store versions will follow shortly. We will keep you updated.

In order to play Book Two, you will need to have completed Book One. There's no way around
this: we rely on all the choices you made in the first episode. If you've uninstalled and removed
your game files, these must be restored before you can progress. If you have any additional
questions, please visit our support forum. Good peoples are standing by to help.

This is a pretty big & ambitious episode, and there may still be the odd bug (or twelve). Please
let us know if you find anything bothersome. We will address all major issues as soon as
possible. We plan to have a patch out next week with minor tweaks and fixes to known issues,
but if anything critical pops up before then, we'll do our best to fix it.

Since most of you have probably stopped reading and started downloading by now, we'll leave it
at that. We're really looking forward to hearing your reactions to Book Two. Please let us (and
the rest of the world) know what you think!

Anxiously biting our nails, all of the nails,

Team RTG

Little bit early.

Athelas

Arcane
In order to play Book Two, you will need to have completed Book One. There's no way around this: we rely on all the choices you made in the first episode.
giphy.gif

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In order to play Book Two, you will need to have completed Book One. There's no way around this: we rely on all the choices you made in the first episode.
giphy.gif
It is funny how you laugh in advance, despite you didn't played Chapter 2 and you couldn't know what kind of consequence your choices will have. What they are saying is just the way the game is structured, you make choices in each chapter and the next chapter will look for those choces, regardless how meaningful they were.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom