Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Lords won't suck as much as the demo?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The booster packs are released every 6 months and contain as much content as the Guild Wars on launch, so it's not comparable to the small but expensive booster packs of EQ2 or MTG. The reason they can afford to add so much content in such a short amount of time is because all of the content creation tools are finished. Right now, the game's backend is complete, and the only thing they're adding is content.

I don't understand how people can 'lose interest' just because they're using a model that allows players to buy the game and play it for as long as they like for free and buy large content expansions whenever they feel like it. Patches are free, besides, so what's the problem? The content expansions allow players to use new skills and classes that would otherwise be unavailable to them, and start adventuring in those areas whenever they want, but you can still play in the expansion areas even if you don't own them: provided someone else creates the game.

I don't get how people can jerk off to WOW and its 15 dollar a month subscription and planned expansions every 6 months (which you also have to pay a full price for) but bitch about Guild wars, which has a plot, fully implemented competitive gaming that doesn't suck ass (Blizzard, where the fuck are the Battlegrounds? Funny how there's a section in the manual for something that wont even be implemented for months) ,with planned expansions every 6 months, and no monthly fee.

Deathboy

Liturgist
Exitium said:
I don't understand how people can 'lose interest' just because they're using a model that allows players to buy the game and play it for as long as they like for free and buy large content expansions whenever they feel like it.

Ex it's not so important to understand why people lose interest as it is to KNOW they do lose interest. Once people lose interest so to do the developers so to buy a game in the hope that every six months an expansion with huge content will come out is about as nieve as me believing DL will have all it's bugs fixed and all the crappy game play elements removed. So anyway what I am tring to say is don't get your hopes of GW up to high as it'll probably blow (I hope it doesn't, just like my hopes for DL).

Deathboy

Liturgist
Sorry there must be some confusion. I believed it was YOUR opinion that people were losing interest, YOU could not understand why but YOU were still of the opinion they were, I pointed out that when people lose interest so do the developer. Unfortunately we live in the real world where it's more about dollars than art. Sad but true. As I also said I hope it doesn't blow but a gut feeling is a gut feeling.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Actually, I've played it as well. This type of game really isn't for me and I don't like the art direction either, but it is a pretty good game.

obediah

Erudite
Exitium said:
The booster packs are released every 6 months and contain as much content as the Guild Wars on launch, so it's not comparable to the small but expensive booster packs of EQ2 or MTG. The reason they can afford to add so much content in such a short amount of time is because all of the content creation tools are finished. Right now, the game's backend is complete, and the only thing they're adding is content.

Well I got the comparison to MTG from the Guild Wars FAQ, so I don't think I need to defend that. Expansions in general have gotten so overpriced over the past 5-8 years, and MMORPG expansions in particular just give me the willies. We've got an artist, modeler, and level designer that make a combined $75K/year that we milk for millions. I know it's not that bad, but I'm exagerating to help illustrate why I don't like it.

I don't understand how people can 'lose interest' just because they're using a model that allows players to buy the game and play it for as long as they like for free and buy large content expansions whenever they feel like it. Patches are free, besides, so what's the problem? The content expansions allow players to use new skills and classes that would otherwise be unavailable to them, and start adventuring in those areas whenever they want, but you can still play in the expansion areas even if you don't own them: provided someone else creates the game.[/quote[

My interest in Guild Wars was generated by the lack of monthly fee, so the subsequent expansions pack anouncement brought back that slimy wallet with an account number on it feeling. Where expansion packs are sold on how addictive the game is and not on how good it is (they needn't be the same thing). Until proven otherwise, I'm assuming that the gameplay of the orginial product will continue to decline as expansions come out. If I have to drop $100/year on expansions, that's not much better than getting a one year subscription to other MMORPGS. For other games I can download mod tools and generate my own content or maybe find a nice mod community for free.

I don't get how people can jerk off to WOW and its 15 dollar a month subscription and planned expansions every 6 months (which you also have to pay a full price for) but bitch about Guild wars, which has a plot, fully implemented competitive gaming that doesn't suck ass (Blizzard, where the fuck are the Battlegrounds? Funny how there's a section in the manual for something that wont even be implemented for months) ,with planned expansions every 6 months, and no monthly fee.

Whoever this person was, it wasn't me. I'm not going anywhere near WoW. I was never interested in it.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, they've announced that there will be a lot of free downloadable content, and expansions will be released every 6-8 months, so I don't think you're going to end up spending 100 dollars a year in expansions. Nowhere close. Each expansion will likely cost 20-30 dollars, so assuming 2 expansions come out each year, you're only going to spend around an average 50 dollars a year, unlike in EQ 2 where you have to pay 15 a month on top of the 19 dollar expansions released every 3 months.

obediah said:
Well this has been on topic long enough...

Speaking of Guild Wars, I lost all interest when they announced their Magic The Gathering -like model of making expansions, booster packs etc. It makes me feel like I'm a piggie bank, anytime they needs some cash, they can just dump a buggy content patch with some uber skill X and everyone buys it. I hate salesmen for the same reason, I hate feeling like I'm being sold something.

Not sure it's rational, just my 2 bits.
Ok, $30 expansions every 6 months, each including as much content as the original release, are alot better than $15 a month for... well... the right to play. And content patches if you're lucky.

If you're one of the poor dumb fucks playing WoW, you got to pay $45 in subscription fees on top of the $50 buy-in before you saw more than one content patch. And those patches added roughly 5% more content to the game compared to the original release.

The Guild Wars model is ambitious, but I'll be damned if it's not brilliant too. I think it's going to be a riotous success and a damn good game to boot (if the beta events are any indication).

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I have to agree with Dolph and Exit on this. I don't see the big deal about the booster pack deal with Guild Wars. They're optional, and it's a hell of a lot better than paying a monthly fee "just because". At least you're getting something for the money and you don't have to get it if you don't want it.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
@Saint: yep, I agree on this. It is good to see someone doing something positive in the online market. I hope it all goes well, I don't think anyone here judges them below the likes of WOW and co. Personally, I hope they spank the arse of EQ2 and WoW and the rest of those online whoremongers.

My feeling (and possibly Dhruin's, from what I gather) is simply that Guild Wars is not necessarily in competition with the likes of Dungeon Lords. I am less interested in the online market. Plus, goin by the latest gameplay vid I dloaded today, it still don't look my style of cuppa.

Oh well, despite the fact that I am obviously going against the will of the big 'uns, I gotta say I hope that BOTH of these games succeed.

Edit: fixed due to the fact I'm off my nut. Fuck it.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Really, Everquest does nearly the same thing and still charges the monthly fee.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Dungeon Lords is a new breed of epic Fantasy RPG, a unique combination of RPG and Fighter game action in full 3D, featuring a deep storyline shrouded in mystery, surprise, and betrayal.

Comedy gold.

screenj_sm.gif

Looks like the same crappy dungeon crawl we've been playing for the last ten years.

Llyranor

Liturgist
Guild Wars owns my soul :(

I'll end up probably getting all of its subsequent chapters. Guild play is loads of fun, whether coop or comp.

Deathboy

Liturgist
Killzig said:
Looks like the same crappy dungeon crawl we've been playing for the last ten years.

Didn't you read the press release :roll: , they've removed all the "crappy dungeon crawl" parts and replaced them with something mind blowingly awesome.

LlamaGod

Cipher
The game sounded like pure dogshit since day one and yo-ho-ho the demo sucks.

I have a safe bet on the final game being a giant turd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom