Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dungeon Rats volunteer translation

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The time has come to put your money where your mouth is. If you truly want to help with Dungeon Rats translation PM Sunfire on Iron Tower forums and give him your gmail address. You will get access to DR files on Google drive for translation. In the case of Polish translation see this thread: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7273.0.html

Wołam Polaków, o których wiem , że są na kodeksie. Z góry przepraszam za wołanie niechętnych, ale nie pamiętam wszystkich co deklarowali pomoc i tak będzie po prostu szybciej (no i może jeszcze ktoś się zdecyduje).

Ninja Destroyer Darth Roxor Jvegi Havoc Manjuice Nutella Zdzisiu Zboj Lamignat Awor Szurkrarz Idiott yellowcake JudasIscariot warpig Bahamut Hellraiser Konjad covr Black_Willow Wise Emperor Exxos Necroscope panzertoter Bitcher1 bonescraper meanwhileInPoland Brzęczyszczykiewicz mikaelis trais Ivar the Boner Storyfag WhiskeyWolf @t Tytus Ptosio Robert Jarzebina Cowboy Moment Malakal Oesophagus lukaszek veevoir SmartCheetah Gangrelrumbler ArtB trais spectre MotherMachinae janior123tlen.pl Krivol Quatlo jcd Dwemer Puzzle Box Black Perkel Veelq bozia2012 Ovg Gerrard hell bovine hoverdog t norolim Jedi Master Radek Urbanolo Elwro MicoSelva DraQ

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You didn't manage to ping me, but thankfully I'm watching the whole ITS board ;)

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I only see an alert from the quote, but it doesn't matter. For me only my name shows up as written @t and not a link in the OP.

Got bored and left

Didn't get pinged too, lucky I saw this thread. Imma sort this out in the morning, I'm a little too drunk right now :P

Quatlo

Arcane
The time has come to put your money where your mouth is. If you truly want to help with Dungeon Rats translation PM Sunfire on Iron Tower forums and give him your gmail address. You will get access to DR files on Google drive for translation. In the case of Polish translation see this thread: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7273.0.html

Wołam Polaków, o których wiem , że są na kodeksie. Z góry przepraszam za wołanie niechętnych, ale nie pamiętam wszystkich co deklarowali pomoc i tak będzie po prostu szybciej (no i może jeszcze ktoś się zdecyduje).
I'd be happy to help, but I'm not really sure if my linguistic skills are up to par, I 've only translated a couple apps when I was an intern, and it was mostly technical stuff noone really cared about :P

Last edited:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Warning:
Every translators will sonner or later face a major dilemma concerning both technical and historical lore in the items descriptions. Those descriptions use specific words and terms, like the origine/lands they belong. Some are fake, coming from the deep Vince imagination, while others refer to long forgotten words like "Avagan steepes" which design Afghanistan or "Kemet/kemetian" for the Ancient Egypt. in other words, some belong to real history, and others don't.

I really feel that as an excinting part of the work as it forces each translators to make some deep research.
E.g. : I assume everyone here in conscious that AoD doesn't features any dragon kind, so ask yourself where the alchemy component "Dragon's Blood Extract" comes from and you will fall on that
If this one was an easy discover, in the case you didn't knew it, some are more difficult or even uncertain: what is in AoD a "Quicksilver Root". I know that Quicksilver is the old name for Mercury, but, hey Mercury is not a vegetal, so what to do with the "root" word? Another one is the "Avatera Sprout" : google doesn't give any result for Avetera, but Lavatera is a real plant.

As you can see, in the item description, there is a part of both reality and Vince's fantasy.

An ancient disccus between Vince & friends may help you, assuming you didn't knew its existence
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,217.20/imode.html

Knowing that, I even love more AoD than before. Now, I guess it's to everyone to translate how he wants to, but beware of what everyone could consider as an esay task : do the "Auxiliary Armor" a medium armor or the armor of Auxiliary Troops of the Roman Army? "Numeri" could give you some tips in case you're familiar with Roman lore.

Not so easy to translate in the right way, but how exciting it is :salute:

Last edited:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
And, going further, in DR, sometimes you will find some narration lines evoking "hundreds of swordmen" or things like that. I wonder why Vince hasn't use the "century" or "centuria" words when it can fit, as some of them are commanded by a Centurion (like in the End file) ;)

Got bored and left

Warning:
Every translators will sonner or later face a major dilemma concerning both technical and historical lore in the items descriptions. Those descriptions use specific words and terms, like the origine/lands they belong. Some are fake, coming from the deep Vince imagination, while others refer to long forgotten words like "Avagan steepes" which design Afghanistan or "Kemet/kemetian" for the Ancient Egypt. in other words, some belong to real history, and others don't.

I really feel that as an excinting part of the work as it forces each translators to make some deep research.
E.g. : I assume everyone here in conscious that AoD doesn't features any dragon king, so ask yourself where the alchemy component "Dragon's Blood Extract" comes from and you will fall on that
If this one was an easy discover, in the case you didn't knew it, some are more difficult or even uncertain: what is in AoD a "Quicksilver Root". I know that Quicksilver is the old name for Mercury, but, hey Mercury is not a vegetal, so what to do with the "root" word? Another one is the "Avatera Sprout" : google doesn't give any result for Avetera, but Lavatera is a real plant.

As you can see, in the item description, there is a part of both reality and Vince's fantasy.

An ancient disccus between Vince & friends may help you, assuming you didn't knew its existence

Knowing that, I even love more AoD than before. Now, I guess it's to everyone to translate how he wants to, but beware of what everyone could consider as an esay task : do the "Auxiliary Armor" a medium armor or the armor of Auxiliary Troops of the Roman Army? "Numeri" could give you some tips in case you're familiar with Roman lore.

Not so easy to translate in the right way, but how exciting it is :salute:

Serves to illustrate that research is kind of an important part of the translation process. It's not just about pulling equivalents out of your ass and hoping they work :P

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Only shows to illustrate that research is kind of an important part of the translation process. It's not just about pulling equivalents out of your ass and hoping they work
That's the idea of this post.
And as Vince said, only about 5% are aware of the rightness of some terms. As for me, until now, I never paid attention to what can be those kemetians guys, from where they can come. After all, how are you supposed to know the word is right if you have never heard of them before. And now that I know, I can rejoice myself to be in those 5% :lol:
Well, I doubt that more than 5% would be able to connect Avagan to Afganistan. I wouldn't as I learned it a few weeks ago and I'm pretty well read and versed in ancient history.
But each real world name used is going to be recognized by a certain percentage of players, though not all of them by all players. So while using one extremely obscure name like Avagan would go almost unnoticed, using several similarly obscure names would become jarring and break the fiction's feeling of completeness
Just consider this fact as a part of the Incliness :salute:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if some negative reviews will appear on Steam due to shitty unsatisfactory translation. We have that advantage that both Darth Roxor and norolim are professional translators so certain standards will have to be met.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if some negative reviews will appear on Steam due to shitty unsatisfactory translation. We have that advantage that both Darth Roxor and norolim are professional translators so certain standards will have to be met.

as soon as we decide what to do with Lorenza that is

agris

Arcane
Patron
Talking about the roots of fictional words and how to translate them- I believe Tolkien came up with a linguistics guide for LotR translations to address just this issue, and ease the transliteration of his writing to other languages. Here it is.

Has VD provided something like that for you guys? I know they're a small, cash and time strapped team, but it might save time in the long run. Sounds like he's at least made extensive notes, or has a great memory.

Got bored and left

We've gotten some feedback regarding Lorenza and Roxana, which are the two controversial names, but we still need to reach a consensus internally, and who knows when that's gonna happen :P

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
It is desirable that the translator should read Appendix F in Volume III of The Lord of the Rings and follow the theory there set out. In the original text English represents the Common Speech of the supposed period. Names that are given in modern English therefore represent names in the Common Speech, often but not always being translations of older names in other languages, especially Sindarin (Grey-elven). The language of translation now replaces English as the equivalent of the Common Speech; the names in English form should therefore be translated into the other language according to their meaning (as closely as possible).

I'm p. certain most German Tolkien translators didn't give a rat's ass about this.

Got bored and left

It is desirable that the translator should read Appendix F in Volume III of The Lord of the Rings and follow the theory there set out. In the original text English represents the Common Speech of the supposed period. Names that are given in modern English therefore represent names in the Common Speech, often but not always being translations of older names in other languages, especially Sindarin (Grey-elven). The language of translation now replaces English as the equivalent of the Common Speech; the names in English form should therefore be translated into the other language according to their meaning (as closely as possible).

I'm p. certain most German Tolkien translators didn't give a rat's ass about this.

One Polish translator did. The results were catastrophic.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

I'd say that most people will instantly understand what Boatmen of Styx means and even enjoy the name. Replacing it with Caravanmen of Faruk and adding long-winded explanations are a less attractive option, I think.

"Caravanmen of Faruk" :lol:

you should see the potato version

but i wont spoil the surprise

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom