Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dungeon Siege 3 Preview

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Morgoth said:
George Ziets (Mask of the Betrayer) is in charge of DS3.

He isn't.

Rich Taylor is Project Director
Nathaniel Chapman (dude who was responsible for some of the new things on Storm of Zehir. Also Annie spoke highly of him) is Lead Designer
Ziets is Creative Lead

Jaesun said:
Even with Ziets attached to it. Can he pull off another MotB epic tale? Guess I'll wait and see. Camera will probably be shit.

Even if the story is good, the basic gameplay and proportion of combat/exploration/talking has to conform to the likes of DS/diablo, can't say I'm interested.

They may be using the dungeon siege brand but what they're really trying to do here is ride on D3's hype, trying to provide a more roleplayerish alternative before the real deal comes out.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dicksmoker said:
Sorry if it makes you feel bad that I have better taste in women than you do. Enjoy your crass mega titties.

iwhwsm.jpg

Experiment successful.

Clean-up crew called to Test Bay 94 immediately.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not expecting anything more than a standard ARPG -- I'm sure it'll be 'fine for what it is...'

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dicksmoker said:
Sorry if it makes you feel bad that I have better taste in women than you do.
We get it, you don't like titts. You are into the skinny ones.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Darth Roxor said:
Dicksmoker said:
Sorry if it makes you feel bad that I have better taste in women than you do. Enjoy your crass mega titties.

iwhwsm.jpg

Experiment successful.

Clean-up crew called to Test Bay 94 immediately.
And I could just as easily have said to someone else that I would know you would respond to me. If I'm butthurt, you're right in there with me.

P.S. Only respond to this if you're still butthurt.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dicksmoker said:
And I could just as easily have said to someone else that I would know you would respond to me. If I'm butthurt, you're right in there with me.

P.S. Only respond to this if you're still butthurt.

Perpetuum butthurt it is, then!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, Dicksmoker got a point there. Those tits are way too huge, just like in most 3D games with scantily clad girls.

Why can't they do some nice medium sized breasts for once. :(

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Main heroine of King's Bounty:Armoured Princess had nice breasts.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
Well, Dicksmoker got a point there. Those tits are way too huge, just like in most 3D games with scantily clad girls.

Why can't they do some nice medium sized breasts for once. :(

Cherry art is way too awesome to waste it on normal sized breasts
justincherry.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Those tits are way too huge"

No, those aren't . How do I know? Overly huige breatsa re disgusting. These are awesome size. Big but not too big.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Games journalists are untrustworthy but this looks like it might be the first Obsidian game with a combat system worth a damn since no one had any complaints about it (yet). Time for some image spam:

28t7y43.jpg

33kdd9d.jpg

2znpmdd.jpg

eg75ty.jpg

Time to face Codex justice Georgie boy. A generic setting doesn't give you an excuse to phone it in regardless of how
11.jpg
there is as happy as an outhouse fly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I was mocking the writing and that boring "go here, kill that" quest, not the graphics. Those are okay (aside from the NWN2-esque faces and talking animation), especially in pseudo-isometric view where the low-resolution isn't as apparent. Could be better (Twitcher2), could be worse (DA2).

torpid

Liturgist
IronicNeurotic said:
Morgoth said:

He isn't.

Nathaniel Chapman (dude who was responsible for some of the new things on Storm of Zehir. Also Annie spoke highly of him) is Lead Designer
Ziets is Creative Lead

Not only that, but acting like Ziet's input is going to turn the game into a deep RPG full of intricate C&C is wishful thinking -- Leonard Boyarsky is working on Diablo 3; do people think that game is going to be a deep RPG experience?

Obsidian could start making corridor shooters and some fanboys would still be looking for deep RPG elements. That's what happened with Alpha Protocol.

circ

Arcane
torpid said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Morgoth said:

He isn't.

Ziets is Creative Lead

Not only that, but acting like Ziet's input is going to turn the game into a deep RPG full of intricate C&C is wishful thinking -- Leonard Boyarsky is working on Diablo 3; do people think that game is going to be a deep RPG experience?

Obsidian could start making corridor shooters and some fanboys would still be looking for deep RPG elements. That's what happened with Alpha Protocol.
Well atleast Boarsky can draw worth a damn, so one might summise that D3 will atleast look good.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
torpid said:
Not only that, but acting like Ziet's input is going to turn the game into a deep RPG full of intricate C&C is wishful thinking

It's an action-rpg targeted more to consoles. Nobody in their right mind wants that. It's about slashing things in co-op. The only thing I want is an interesting story with it. And good writing. Overly C&C and too big dialouge trees aren't necessary here.

Also the writing in those screenshots is more than fine.

Fucking storyfaqs

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Captain America?

I dunno about you guys, but this preview didn't really sound that great. Crooked Bee already mentioned the item level scaling, but also:

The idea isn’t to turn it into an action game like Ninja Gaiden or a Devil May Cry, but you don’t want it to feel like there’s no action, which is why we’ve added a lot of combos.” The “combos” that Urquhart mentions aren’t a huge list of light-heavy timing combos – instead, they’re automatic animations that trigger on your third attack
:roll:

“When you’re playing an action RPG on the PC, when you don’t exactly hit the creature that you attack, you then walk to where you clicked. So what we’re playing around with right now is that the game is a little more forgiving with the mouse aim, and does that for you. If you’re near a creature, it’ll swing the sword for you. The PC interface is going to work really well, because of that focus and that perspective.”
I'm not just noting the dumbing down here, but also that it sounds intrusive as hell if, say, I want to maneuver to a specific position and NOT attack. If it's an option, that's okay.

You’ll have relationships with other non-hero characters, but it won’t be as complicated as, say, Dragon Age, and you’ll never upset anyone enough to leave your party.
:?

On my first visit to the levelling-up screen, everything’s on display – nine skills, three in each stance. It’s certainly not as daunting – or compelling – as a big, lovely skill tree.
Nine skills... Which I guess is fine if the game is complex action-wise. If not, then that's some dumbing down right there.

I'm just nitpicking. There are some good sounding things in that preview, but it seemed like nobody noticed the warning signs above.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom