Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DUNGEONMEN (turn-based dungeon crawler)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
http://www.crithit.org/dmen/
Dungeon crawler with full party creation.
No mouse support. Game is free, Alt+Enter for full screen.
The game isn't revolutionary at all, but it is interesting because it has a lot of things you're expecting from a dungeon crawler that your average RPGMaker game doesn't : first full party creation but also a lot of hidden doors, holes, chests which explode at your face, cursed items and other traps. I died several times from different things.

dmscr4.png
dmscr6.png

The game is divided between 4 dungeons (+ a final one?) which you can visit in any order and each dungeons is divided into 4 small area (or maybe 3 + a boss battle). I've completed the first area in 3 dungeons so far (the difficulty significantly increases between the areas of a same dungeon). The one from the ice dungeon was pretty cool. I don't know if dungeons become more complicated as you go deeper, but if they do then the dungeons are probably good.
There is a lot of types of shields, helmets, armors and weapons (the in-game manual is called the Gygax weapon manual or something like that), there are a lot of numbers involved but I have no idea how deep the system really is ; +3 weapons do a lot more damage than the normal ones. Your characters can all wear everything (weapons and armors give bonuses and maluses). There's also some crafting system (I haven't used it yet) to upgrade your armors and weapons and to give them additional effects.
One cool feature is that each class has a useful non-combat skill that he can use a certain number of times each day, for example the knight can break doors (not all of them), the ninja can sometimes disarm traps, the sage can identify items, the warlock can revive a dead ally, the cleric can cures diseases, the wizard can warp the party outside dungeons and the bard can save the game inside dungeons. These are cool skills which may change a little the way you play.
On the bad sides there are some weird lags in combat with relatively long moments when nothing happens. Also, one thing I noticed is that when you try to interact with an object without releasing the direction arrow, it doesn't always work, I missed some things at the beginning because of that. It also seems skills are only unlocked via leveling-up, which is a little sad.
I'll stop playing the game for now because I've got other games under way but I'll definitely go on later.

On a related note their previous game, SPELLSHARD, is also avaliable on their site. It's a kinda similar game, my first impression was good but I didn't go very far. Party creation is not entirely free in this one, you have to choose between two different fighter classes, between two different mage classes...then from what I've read there are also class specializations later in the game. What I liked in the beginning is that I craved for gold, which was needed to buy weapons but also to buy spells. From what I remember there's also a real world map on which you can walk this time, not just a list of points.
screen3.png

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
http://www.crithit.org/satori99/?p=64

Posted by kfharlock on Wednesday Aug 8, 2012

[...]

It’s because the last three months (since May 1st, the day after the previous post actually), I’ve been working with my old partner Shizuma on an entirely different game for this “Make an RPG in Three Months” contest running over at 64 Digits.

The game we were working on is called DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons, and is something like a fusion of classic Western computer RPG mechanics (think Wizardry and company), with the classic Japanese console RPG aesthetics and design sensibilities that we here at the Critical Hit crave. It is ENTIRELY FINISHED at this point, so if you want to get a taste of how we spent the last three months break from Satori-99:

DOWNLOAD IT HERE: DUNGEONMEN: MEN OF DUNGEONS!

No news on the site since this announcement in 2012, so I guess it's an eternal beta :?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, thanks, I downloaded the game from Slime salad (the name of the zip is different but the size of the different files is strictly the same so it is definitely the same version), I also didn't encounter any problem so I forgot it was a beta, I'll still precise it, just in case.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
BlackGoat Party composition?
I'm using Ninja Warlock (its raise dead ability is strong) Illusionist (this one is mostly useless) Sage.

I completed the second area of each dungeon. Some eagles from the path of eagles are bugged but there's no problem reaching the end, I think it's the only bug I've encountered so far.
I'd say that overall the traps are not brutal enough and after a while you don't really care anymore about a chest which explodes or about being targeted by an arrow because they don't kill you. But there's one exception : diseases, these are a lot of fun and the item to cure them is expensive an can miss.
Some areas are cool, some other ones are too empty. The different non-combat skills for each class are definitely a good addition, the fact that I can raise 2 deads per day or can't cure diseases really change how I have to go back to town.
There are several things I don't like in the game, for example consumables from the pub who restore MPs are very cheap so you can just spam the strongest skills in every fight and the fights overall are not very exciting, it's probably due to the fact there are only random encounters and not a boss in sight and that we've seen much better regarding resource management.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Only fired it up briefly to see how it looked. A lot on my plate right now, but will probably give it a more thorough look-see later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom