Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons of Dredmor (high production roguelike) lookin' good

mister_matt

Educated
I will be buying this game. It will be my first time playing a rogue like of any kind. I suppose purists would argue that I should just stop being a little bitch and just play Nethack - but this game seems so much more accessible than nethack - or similarly designed rogue-likes. I would certainly say that just from the screenshots, this seems way more accessible not because of the gameplay mechanics, but because the visuals are an order of magnitude more 'friendly' than ASCII based predecessors. Sure some mechanics might be simplified, but as someone with little to no experience in the genre, the graphers are a big selling point.

I started playing games in the ate 90s, so I am ore accustomed to things being graphical. Maybe I am just an asshole with no patience - that could certainly be the case - but I would much rather play Gaslight's take on the rogue genre than something more akin to nethack.

Once I have some more experience with the genre, I might decide to go backwards.

Multi-headed Cow

It is much more accessible, but gives a pretty good showing of the genre. You'll still die quite a fair chunk (Depending on difficulty I guess, I never did try easy) but it's clearer on what's happening. Interface is pretty easy for the most part (Though I still think they went a bit nuts on the icons for stats and sub-stats and damage types and armor types and FUCKING EVERYTHING on the character sheet).

TLDR, go for it bro. I'm gonna be picking it up too, just kinda sucks for them it's releasing right after the summer sale on Steam. My biggest hope for the full game that wasn't in beta would be Steam friends list scoreboards. Comparing your scores against your bros would be tops.

7hm

Scholar
mister_matt said:
I will be buying this game. It will be my first time playing a rogue like of any kind. I suppose purists would argue that I should just stop being a little bitch and just play Nethack - but this game seems so much more accessible than nethack - or similarly designed rogue-likes. I would certainly say that just from the screenshots, this seems way more accessible not because of the gameplay mechanics, but because the visuals are an order of magnitude more 'friendly' than ASCII based predecessors. Sure some mechanics might be simplified, but as someone with little to no experience in the genre, the graphers are a big selling point.

I started playing games in the ate 90s, so I am ore accustomed to things being graphical. Maybe I am just an asshole with no patience - that could certainly be the case - but I would much rather play Gaslight's take on the rogue genre than something more akin to nethack.

Once I have some more experience with the genre, I might decide to go backwards.

Play DCSS for fucks sake.

It has a modern interface and nice enough looking graphics. Also several tutorial / hint modes. Pretty much one of the easiest roguelikes to get into.

e: This is still a day 1 purchase for me though. I'm always gonna support indie devs who make roguelikes.

Eyeball

Arcane
Caved in and bought it despite my disgust with Steam. Let's see if it was worth sacrificing what little is left of my interweb credibility.

Cheap as fuck, downloaded easily - gonna try a monkish/indiana Jones-themed character first

Picked unarmed, archaeology, assassination, psionics, mathematics, artful dodger, perception. Skill system kicks ass so far, and I haven't even clicked "start!"

Gwendo

Augur
There's so many items, because of the crafting (smithing, alchemy, etc) that I've run out of inventory space. It all feels like junk.

Anyway, the game feels like a roguelike, or even Polemon Dungeon Explorer. It certainly can be adictive, exploring and looting.

I wish the interface was bigger.

Multi-headed Cow

Gwendo said:
There's so many items, because of the crafting (smithing, alchemy, etc) that I've run out of inventory space. It all feels like junk.

Anyway, the game feels like a roguelike, or even Polemon Dungeon Explorer. It certainly can be adictive, exploring and looting.

I wish the interface was bigger.
After you get a few games under your belt you'll get a better idea of what's junk you can ignore and what you wanna grab. That threw me for a loop at first too.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Need more codex opinions on this one.
Not cuz of the price, but because I'm on shitty fucking mobile internet and it's very tedius to download shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If Steam achievements/stats are accurate, then about 80 people have already completed this thing on medium difficulty. I'm not sure who or what that reflects but my eyebrow is raised much like the protagonist's.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It doesn't say if they did it with permadeath on or not. Many roguelikes become trivial once the constant menace of a sudden death is lifted.

7hm

Scholar
There's an option to not use permadeath? And it still counts?

:rpgcodex:

Not day 1 buy for me. Day 3 though, need to wait for the paycheck to get in. ;)

MisterStone

Arcane
Yes, the game is a piece of cake without permadeath. Also I think that people above console gamer intelligence will find the highest difficulty about right. HIghest difficulty + permadeath is about as hard as other roguelike game.

Multi-headed Cow

Roguey said:
If Steam achievements/stats are accurate, then about 80 people have already completed this thing on medium difficulty. I'm not sure who or what that reflects but my eyebrow is raised much like the protagonist's.
What? No. It's listing 10% as having the Dead Dread achievement, which is killing Dreadmor on medium. Since it's showing 0% listed as having the easy achievement, I'm guessing the global achievement stats haven't updated yet and this was just from developers pre-release. Particularly all the even percentages with no fractions.

Ashery

Prophet
Well it *had* been fun, until I lost my char to a ctd. Had just finished clearing the first level and had some pretty amazing gear for my level (I was tearing through mobs in melee...without a melee skill tagged) when I crashed after buying some ore in a shop. Started again and my next char had a ctd only a few minutes in, so, yea, going to shelve in for a bit until it becomes more stable.

Definitely has potential, though.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I start to believe this game should be played only on the "hardest" setting to offer a proper challenge.

Multi-headed Cow

My best run so far is getting into dungeon level 2, finding a named mindflayer, zapping the shit out of him with a laser wand until he had no red left in his health bar, then I decided to melee him since I had good armor and really good melee skills. Got dead.

Eyeball

Arcane
Am I the only one who can't load games at all? Game just closes inexplicably with no error message when I try to load a saved game.

Volken

Scholar
DCrawl owns this mongoloid shit. It has tiles version if somebody wants nice graphics. Why bother with inferior crap if you can play mstrpiece??

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Multi-headed Cow said:
What? No. It's listing 10% as having the Dead Dread achievement, which is killing Dreadmor on medium. Since it's showing 0% listed as having the easy achievement, I'm guessing the global achievement stats haven't updated yet and this was just from developers pre-release. Particularly all the even percentages with no fractions.
My mistake, it looks like they've already reset it too. Silly achievements.

MisterStone

Arcane
Volken said:
DCrawl owns this mongoloid shit. It has tiles version if somebody wants nice graphics. Why bother with inferior crap if you can play mstrpiece??

Why eat lasagna when fillet Mignon is the most awesome food ever? Why drink Guiness when Fuller's ESB fucking ROCKS? Why play a new RPG when Fallout is the best RPG EVAR?? Because if you do anything for too long it gets old, dumbass.

This is a new Roguelike game, and that's a genre that releases a major new title about once every decade (and even those are usually Betas), so if someone wants to release a decent roguelike on a shorter dev cycle and charge me about half the price of seeing a movie in the theater, I'm happy to pay that.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Tried this out. Some early thoughts:

Items that don't need to be identified should be transparent in their effects. It is pretty retarded being expected to memorize the effects of a shitton of randomly named wands and potions with equally random descriptions. Lost a character by drinking a potion of radiance in a shop. Apparently it HURTS things around you. Not enough to matter of course, just enough to make shopkeepers kill you. There's also no explanation of how much stats influence each other, so I've no idea if raising nimbleness 10 points is worth losing 5 points of dodging, for example.

The combat feedback is very poor. Although you get floating damage text from using wands or enemies being hit by traps, it gets lost in the chaos pretty quickly. I have no idea what kinds or how much damage a laser wand does for example. And I had a weapon that did blast damage, only it never said so in the combat log, and instead had some comment about my spell being resisted. I'm guessing the damage was too low to be counted? And some things add to your melee damage, but there's no indication of which parts of your melee damage.

Skills seem pretty wildly unbalanced. Vampirism is pretty much useless near as I can tell, while Mathemagic is indispensible. I'm not sure at all what any of the weapon specializations are doing exactly, but it certainly doesn't seem to be any more than assassination does, which works with everything.

There are way too many traps. This seems to be some sort of retarded balance to the fact that they're automatically discovered before you step on them, but it just makes moving around tedious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom