Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons of Dredmor (high production roguelike) lookin' good

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Somewhat disappointing considering this has been in development well over a year. Good potential but it looks like they'll have to hammer out a few more bugs/polish some mechanics.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Alright guys, do NOT put the Horadric Lutefisk Cube into itself. In typical roguelike fashion I tried to see if something that stupid was even possible and I died :D

Multi-headed Cow

Gragt said:
Alright guys, do NOT put the Horadric Lutefisk Cube into itself. In typical roguelike fashion I tried to see if something that stupid was even possible and I died :D
God damn it now I'm curious. YOU'VE FUCKED ME, GRAGT.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I actually found two of them on my last character. Now I'm sad I didn't try putting one in the other. Do they even do anything?

Had a chracter decked out in pretty nice gear (Aluminum greaves and cuirass, runed shield, fine steel sword) but I got bored and let myself die after krong cursed my sword 3 fucking times in a row, including lowering my trap detection radius to 0. Yeah. Good luck with THAT. I could have used a lesser weapon instead and presumably there's better stuff if you go deeper, but it's so damned BORING. The enemies aren't a real threat, starvation isn't an issue, the loot isn't interesting (You can't use 90% of it anyways) and the only reason you'll ever die is because you ran out of food and didn't feel like waiting for your natural hp regen to heal you up without a fucking rest command.

7hm

Scholar
Bought it.

Not a huge fan of the controls, but that's probably because I jumped right in without RTFM. Mouse + kb ugh. Will have to take a look about going kb only.

The first character did alright, a stupid death to acid due to not understanding the vampirism trait. The next two died quick due to stupid.

It's fun so far.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
DamnedRegistrations said:
I actually found two of them on my last character. Now I'm sad I didn't try putting one in the other. Do they even do anything?

Well, they turn everything you put in them into lutefisk :D

Nope

Liturgist
Regret buying it myself.
After playing around a bit on Medium and finding out the combat was simple and tedious I switched over to Easy to actually see the meat of the game.
It turned out to be very weak feature-wise in comparison to other roguelikes, leading to it being very repetetive in that area as well.

The "procedurally generated" levels are near identical. You'll see the same rooms, often with the same content, dozens of times.
There's more than a few palette swaps with the monsters and most of them aren't that unique.
The crafting system is very simple and will throw a lot more recipes and items you can't use at you than the other way around.
The items are generally just temporary +damage potions/wands, throwing/missile wands, near useless crafting components and restoration potions.
There's no diagonal movement allowed and only ranged weapons can attack diagonally.
The only thing it's really got going for it is the hit and miss humorous item and skill descriptions.
There's a total of 10 similar dungeon levels.

There's very little interactive things and events in the dungeon. Here's about all of them:
A questgiver statue with the exact same 3 variations of kill the enemy, pick up the item, use the item on object.
A statue you can leave lutefisk at and get items after a certain amount of them.
Enchantment anvils that can improve or worsen the equipment you put on it.
Traps that directly damage you or release an AOE around you.
Around three types of unique Containers and two graphical changes to normal chests.
Some levers that open up side areas with one item/monster or unlock Ultra-Chests.
Rooms with a shitton of whatever monsters you find on that level. Take one at a time and it just turns into a grind.

13 hours is what Easy without permadeath took. With a little bit of luck with the armor around the 8th level.
Dredmor went down to a few Bolts of Annihilation fairly easily.

There are a lot better roguelikes out there.

7hm

Scholar
Nope said:
Regret buying it myself.
After playing around a bit on Medium and finding out the combat was simple and tedious I switched over to Easy to actually see the meat of the game.
It turned out to be very weak feature-wise in comparison to other roguelikes, leading to it being very repetetive in that area as well.

The "procedurally generated" levels are near identical. You'll see the same rooms, often with the same content, dozens of times.
There's more than a few palette swaps with the monsters and most of them aren't that unique.
The crafting system is very simple and will throw a lot more recipes and items you can't use at you than the other way around.
The items are generally just temporary +damage potions/wands, throwing/missile wands, near useless crafting components and restoration potions.
There's no diagonal movement allowed and only ranged weapons can attack diagonally.
The only thing it's really got going for it is the hit and miss humorous item and skill descriptions.
There's a total of 10 similar dungeon levels.

There's very little interactive things and events in the dungeon. Here's about all of them:
A questgiver statue with the exact same 3 variations of kill the enemy, pick up the item, use the item on object.
A statue you can leave lutefisk at and get items after a certain amount of them.
Enchantment anvils that can improve or worsen the equipment you put on it.
Traps that directly damage you or release an AOE around you.
Around three types of unique Containers and two graphical changes to normal chests.
Some levers that open up side areas with one item/monster or unlock Ultra-Chests.
Rooms with a shitton of whatever monsters you find on that level. Take one at a time and it just turns into a grind.

13 hours is what Easy without permadeath took. With a little bit of luck with the armor around the 8th level.
Dredmor went down to a few Bolts of Annihilation fairly easily.

There are a lot better roguelikes out there.

13 hours. no permadeath.

Jesus christ man.

I agree with most of your complaints. This game doesn't compare to DCSS as a rogulike (and tbh I prefer the DCSS UI and tile graphics as well).

That said, it's 4.50$. Whatever, it was a solid purchase.

Marobug

Just got it from steam. The game has it's flaws but it's rather enjoyable so far. I wish more games like were released. If there was more to this than generic dungeons and generic quests I would play the shit out of this for years.
Also I don't know but the humor kind of ruins the mood in the game for me. No need to be dead serious but the abundant use of internet memes and the nerdy jokes just seem out of place. The same also applies to the overall look of the game.

Stabwound

Arcane
I bought this game with actual money, and I never buy games, ever. Main reason being that the devs hang out on IRC and interact with people, which I found cool and think more devs should do that. Having said that, I don't think I would have bought it if it was $10+.

Anyway, I do agree with some of the criticism, but it looks like they're working hard on fixing things and adding new content. I suspect it'll be a lot more fleshed out within a few months.

It's dumb to say something like "DCSS is better, why play this!!!!" because I guess that means you don't ever play anything besides Fallout, or Ultima 4, or whatever your favourite CRPG is. Or you don't watch any movie besides Shawshank Redemption - because hey, it's the best movie evar. If you know me, I played the shit out of Crawl. This game is different enough to actually be appealing to me, and doesn't evoke a gag reflex like I get when I think of playing another Crawl game.

Eyeball

Arcane
I find this to be a pretty nice little game, easily worth the price of admission. I particularly like the traps - with the right skillset, you can pick them up and move them around as you wish. Currently playing a tinkerer/burglar/archer/golemancer laying the smackdown by mining the areas around suspicious doors heavily and then firing away with poison gas arrows, cutting charging hordes of uglies down to more manageable numbers.

The monster zoos piss me off a little - seem very grindy and downright unfair to anyone who take a wrong step.

MisterStone

Arcane
Sounds like they were right to price this at under $5... people are willing to overlook some of the flaws at this price.

I think that the criticism here is pretty reasonable. However, the complaints about found item clutter doesn't seem all that reasonable, since every roguelike game has this. It's just that when you have to move stuff around by mouse I suppose it is more of a pain (I find that picking stuff up in this game is super easy, but cleaning out the inventory is more troublesome). IN any case, you can always turn the extra junk into lutefisk (you're SUPPOSED to) or sell it... if I play in hard mode I find myself frantically selling stuff early on to scrounge enough cash for food.

Also, Stabwound seal of (moderate) approval! :smug:

Damned Registrations

I might give this a try again once there's a functional wiki up detailing all the recipes and spell/wand/potion/etc. effects. Part of the problem with item clutter is that tons of the items that are semi useful don't get used at all because you cant remember whether they're poison or not. And you don't actually need to find a recipe to make it, and given how stingy those bookshelfs are, you're pretty much screwed if you don't have your own list of things to craft.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
asper said:
What the hell is up with those EYEBROWS?!?!

Do you mean these?
tumblr_linj40nhuQ1qb8ts3.gif

7hm

Scholar
My only real complaint about the game is that the rogue difficulty is kicking the shit out of me.

I've played for maybe 4 hours. My attempts on the middle difficulty are far easier. Ah well.

Stabwound

Arcane
I give up on the game until the crashes are fixed. Just had my first one when travelling down stairs and it lost my 1.5 hour game. I hope the next patch solves it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Stabwound said:
I give up on the game until the crashes are fixed. Just had my first one when travelling down stairs and it lost my 1.5 hour game. I hope the next patch solves it.

Yep. I'm going to wait a month and hope they get everything sorted out by then.

7hm

Scholar
So....

Am I just completely fucked, or is this one of the hardest roguelikes I've ever played.

Maybe I'm using a really unoptimized build, but when I'm on the hardest setting it's like playing crawl with spriggan health and naga speed. And the lack of a long rest... bleh.

MisterStone

Arcane
If you make a combat beast build it's not too hard... just load a character up with a weapon skill, dual wield, berserk, critical hit etc. etc. and start whacking. Not sure if it is effective towards the end though.

Damned Registrations

Archaelogy seems the most useful skill in the long run. You can make a full set of artifacts with +hp regen (Stack enough to regen hp every turn and food is pointless)or resistance to every friggin element so nothing can ever hurt you.

Dual wielding is nice if you can find 2 worthwhile weapons, but I'm not sure it's worth giving up a skill slot. You don't actually get two hits, just the damage of the weapons added together, so if your equipment has bonus elemental damage, or you add bonus melee damage to attacks, having a 2nd copy of your weapon won't double your power. Never mind if one of your weapons is an awesome fine steel longsword and the other is a rusty piece of shit.

Enchanted items have different levels of quality, and the item reroll seems to stick pretty close with it. For example, an artifact gained from sacrificing 100+ lutefisk will have 2 different embellishments in its description, and they'll be of nice quality (Stuff like gems or rare metals) whereas something enchanted by Krong or gifted by inconsequentia will only have one and it'll be something retarded like burlap or crayon. Not sure if multiple Krong enchantments on one item can improve it further, or if curses can lower it or simply count as another embellishment, just a shitty one.

Tinkering might be worth having as a skill even if you don't use crossbows, I've found 2 recipes so far that require a bit of tinkering either directly or indirectly, both pieces of armor.

Alchemy seems pretty shitty. Massive material investment for potions that add like 2 damage for 50 rounds. Retarded.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wow, didn't expect so much in the next patch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom