Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dustwind - real-time isometric tactics inspired by Fallout Tactics - now with single player campaign

Quatlo

Arcane
For some reasons Fallout: Tactics multiplayer was relatively popular in Russia (possible the rest of eastern europe too). Up until recently it was easy to find a match to play it.
Poland had a small scene too. Deathmatch in FoT was surprisingly interesting, deep and fun. Juggling differrent builds to counter your friends builds was one of the biggest fun I had in multiplayer.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks interesting.

I'd probably pirate to try it out before buying, but not much sense in pirating it when there is no SP content? How are the player numbers?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Scuse me, but why would anyone want to play this?

It's almost identical to Fallout Tactics except:
1) it's realtime only
2) it's online only (cancer)
3) it's in Unity and looks horrible (worse looking than Tactics)

This is an abomination

:timetoburn:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
also having the nerve to word it like they did, "the game you SHOULD be playing"

Yeah? What are you, gaming counselors?

Norfleet

1) it's realtime only
I'm not really sure how you'd have a turn-based MMO. I mean, how does that even work? Do you have to wait until the entire game has taken their turn before progressing? Do they eventually time out? Doesn't this just end up being a real-time game with a really slow tick rate?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Alas, the combat introduction video was enough to sour it for me; I'll pass. But it does really look the part of a good FO:Tactics sequel. This is what I would have liked to have seen from Bethesda ( AS FO3 ), but with FO:Tactics' optional—preferably the default, turn based mechanics. [Would have been an instant buy.]

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Alas, the combat introduction video was enough to sour it for me; I'll pass. But it does really look the part of a good FO:Tactics sequel. This is what I would have liked to have seen from Bethesda ( AS FO3 ), but with FO:Tactics' optional—preferably the default, turn based mechanics. [Would have been an instant buy.]
Developer:
"Says not to click on enemies because game is designed around characters autoattacking closed enemy in range."
"Implies that character shooting bazooka at close range is a fault of the player, not designer who designed combat around autoattacking."

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
55% off https://store.steampowered.com/app/600460/Dustwind/
Any good? I played it a long time ago on a friend's account but I haven't seen any impressions since the single player campaign released.

It's ok.

I find the combat system to be really fun, it's one of the best real-time with pause systems I've seen yet.

But the campaign is mostly piss easy. The first two quests deal with fighting mutant rats and little goblinoid mutants that don't fight back that well. Later you fight bandits but usually you can dispatch them quite easily and everyone of them has bandages to loot so you never run out of healing items.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are there any playermade campaigns yet?

The combat is good and the game ships with a competent tool so Dustwind should have a lot going for it. But I hear the MP is dead.

e: You can target groins in Dustwind :incline:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
1) it's realtime only
I'm not really sure how you'd have a turn-based MMO. I mean, how does that even work? Do you have to wait until the entire game has taken their turn before progressing? Do they eventually time out? Doesn't this just end up being a real-time game with a really slow tick rate?
Atlantica had such a system:
exploration was not turn based, but when engaging a group of foes, you would enter Turn based combat, with a time limit for each turn.

atlantica best mmo ever. back when it still wasn't drowning in lootboxes and scam schemes :'(

btw, wakfu also is real time exploration with turn based combat. and its predecessor too, can't recall its name now.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
atlantica best mmo ever. back when it still wasn't drowning in lootboxes and scam schemes :'(

btw, wakfu also is real time exploration with turn based combat. and its predecessor too, can't recall its name now.
The predecessor was Dofus. It was pretty popular a few years ago.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:necro:

New patch! It adds ten new languages as well as some improvements and fixes.

Finally you can play Dustwind in the following languages:

• English
  • Russian
  • Polish
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Italian
  • Portuguese (Brazilian)
  • German
  • Czech
  • Hungarian
  • Chinese (simplified)

But also, as announced, we have not only added ten new languages for you. We have also fixed some other bugs and made some small improvements. Take the opportunity and play a round!

The fixes and changes can be found in the changelog:

• Added translations for 10 languages, made minor modifications to the UI to accommodate
  • Added Terrain Palette map editor feature. Pick the terrain textures you want from an extended list of available textures
  • Added Winter tiles, weather and terrain textures
  • Added rain sounds to rain weather FX
  • Added new script triggers: SquadChanged, VehicleEntered, VehicleExited, BuildEvent, GasPickedUp, GasCaptured
  • Added new script conditions: CheckUnitRace, IsUnitInVehicle, IsInventoryEmpty, CheckDoorState
  • Added new script responses: TakePlayerItem, ToggleEffect, StartTrade,OrderUnit_Interact
  • Added outcome filter field to skillused script trigger
  • Added more water tiles and moved them into their own object group
  • Added an MVP display to the post game score screen
  • Added a map warning for missing AI patrol route points
  • Added a dropped item model for mutato
  • Effect objects got upgraded into a togglable entity
  • Improved custom campaign character feature: allowed races can now be selected in campaign settings, and race cost is ignored
  • Improved trigger zone behavior for cars: passengers also trigger enter/exit events individually. Units will now properly get recognized as entering/leaving zones even if they are inside a vehicle
  • Improved UI: self launched custom weapons now show remaining “ammo”
  • Improved map loading performance
  • Improved world map travel, character setup is now restored on the new map
  • Improved save files, character setup is also saved/restored
  • Improved Skirmish UI
  • Improved map editor spawn tab, spawn points are now listed and selectable from the list
  • Improved dialogue topic validation: topics with requirements will be automatically added/removed from active topics after each discussion and on opening the UI.
  • Improved amount dialog window
  • Faster round end respawn when playing offline
  • Portraits were replaced with improved versions
  • Bots are no longer allowed to take titans
  • Sneak balance modified, get detected much slower at max distance, and much faster at close distance
  • Auto-saves moved to level start
  • Made ‘delayed script execution’ an optional script flag, sometimes immediate execution is useful too
  • Nerfed Titan .50cal sniper weapon. less damage, range, more cooldown, aim time
  • Fixed a bunch of bugs in the campaign
  • Fixed dialogue topics not being removed when their conditions are no longer valid
  • Fixed spectator team not working
  • Fixed getting stuck on the loading screen when trying to test a campaign with no locations set up yet
  • Fixed a bug in the terrain smoothing tools that caused the patterns to drift
  • Fixed decoration sub-categories for legs, now you can equip more leg decorations at the same time
  • Fixed some bugs in AI that prevented certain units from attacking the player
  • Fixed trap explosion effect cutting off too early
  • Fixed entities not being reachable in certain cases
  • Fixed pathfinding on Oil tank tiles
  • Fixed some valkyrie animations not looping
  • Fixed corner objectives not filling in fraglimit text
  • Fixed a bug in line of sight checks when both units were moving
  • Fixed a but in line of sight initialization that made enemy units visible at spawn in FFA
  • Fixed getting stuck on slanted ladders
  • Fixed incapacitated units vision not getting properly cleared
  • Fixed hearing range being being too low
  • Fixed a bug in dog animation events
  • Fixed a bug in light-emitter behavior, adjusted default light settings, custom lights may need adjustment in user generated maps

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom