Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DX:HR leak impressions

MetalCraze

Arcane
Trannies and gentlemen. What we have here is another fine example of a franchise rape and a potential superhit on the RPG Codex.

And here is why:

- Starting with a cover system. Yes the game plays exactly like all other generic console shooters (or "RPG" in Codex speak). When you just try to play it like a normal PC shooter - all dumb AIs in the game turn into aimbots - strafing and shooting doesn't help at all as you are getting killed fast.
However as soon as you press the magical cover button you get glued to a nearby specially pre-placed cover and the camera switches to a third person mode allowing you to safely do headshots via a single mouse-click. In a good console shooter tradition something happens to bot precision as well. They can't hit you anymore just as fine as they did - preferring to shoot everything around you instead be it a wall or a nearby box.

- Health regen. It isn't as terrible as in CoD but it is still there and it is still enough sitting and regenerating from a safety of your impenetrable wooden box.
Makes sense - after all RPG gamers should enjoy the story, not suffer the unbearable horrors of a good gameplay.

- Quest compass. Can't be turned off.
Considering that levels in the game are quite small, especially compared to a real Deus Ex it makes no sense apart from ruining whatever need to explore there is. However maybe it stops RPG gamers from getting lost.

- Enemy radar. Can't be turned off. Yes all enemies are marked on your radar and where they look, so RPG gamers won't stumble into a trap while all enemies are already ambushed before they even know it.

- Green camera cones. Can't be turned off. Surely devs care about RPG gamers and can't allow them to get disturbed by the need to avoid cameras. That's why cameras are there and make no sense.

- Crouch-stealth. One of the main reasons why this game will be a hit among RPG gamers. Shadows? Noise? Surfaces? Superior games from '80s had none of that '90s shit and so does this game. Just press crouch and somehow you become much less noticeable even though logically you should be making more noise.

- Dumb AI. See those enemies on your magical radar behind the door? Make some noise and retards will start running through it creating a nice pile of dead bodies.

- Minigames. As in all good RPG games you don't use skills which are so '90s. You play minigames. Character development? Different builds? Varied classes? Who needs that in RPG?

- Kewl takedowns. Press a button when looking at an enemy from behind and the enemy is down through a cutscene - in a good RPG tradition it works all the time.

- Red Barrels. Obviously no RPG can be called complete without a red barrel that blows up when you shoot it.

So as you see - this RPG has all the potential to become a Codex hit as it has everything that is admired in RPGs in the modern day and age.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Since when Deus Ex is an RPG, Skyway?

And the original game had half of the things you listed there.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Excidium said:

Ah I must have mistakened this forum with General Gaming. It's hard nowadays with RPG threads being in GG and shooter threads being here and all that. Besides you get XP to unlock cool stuff like in a proper RPG.

You are right. Ion Storm didn't understand that to properly enjoy their game we need health regen, third person cover, enemy radar and quest compass. They lacked these features and went out of business. Serves them right.

Twinkle

Liturgist
So what? DX was released 11 years ago. Some things, like crappy stealth or dumb AI were criticized to death by all non-fanboys. I know that pulling off a semi-intelligent design is too much to ask from next-gen developers, but for fuck's sake, at least some mechanical improvements would be welcome. Instead we get a dumbed down version of "more of the same".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
MetalCraze said:
FRUA20.gif
Finally. Thank you. :love:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
MetalCraze said:
Excidium said:

Ah I must have mistakened this forum with General Gaming. It's hard nowadays with RPG threads being in GG and shooter threads being here and all that.
Indeed.

MetalCraze said:
Besides you get XP to unlock cool stuff like in a proper RPG.
Just like Prototype!

MetalCraze said:

You are right. Ion Storm didn't understand that to properly enjoy their game we need health regen, third person cover, enemy radar and quest compass. They lacked these features and went out of business. Serves them right.
Isn't that how it works with new sequels?

Twinkle said:
Instead we get a dumbed down version of "more of the same".
With an added piss filter.

Topher

Cipher
I'm going to have to agree with Skyway on every point. The game would be better if everyone of those things were changed/removed. Health-regen is definitely a life saver when hiding around corners/behind boxes even on the hardest difficulty, the old damage system with limb damage and possible regeneration was WAY better. The green camera cones are fucking retarded, like I can't already fucking see which way the damn thing is facing, sucks that I can't hack the camera directly if I manage to get underneath it too. The mini-game is... well I'm already bored of it and replacing lock-picking with hacking is odd as hell any way you look at it. Crouch-stealth is common and doesn't bother me but the fact that nothing else seems to factor into stealth is lame as all hell. The quest compass and enemy radar are annoying and I really wish that they could both be turned off or at least make them both augmentation related and not just augments that you automatically start out with.

Still, I had fun playing it even if a lot of the streamlined features get on my nerves. Maybe mods will fix it?

Why is this game in GRPG? Move to GG please. We don't even pretend that the first two DX games are RPGs... why this one?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Why is this game in GRPG? Move to GG please. We don't even pretend that the first two DX games are RPGs... why this one?

What is an RPG exactly?

And I guess it's official. This not a RPG!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
meanwhileInPoland said:
since when deus ex 1 is not crpg?
Since always? Last time I played DE, it was a shooter with light RPG elements.

meanwhileInPoland said:
if codex pretend that twicher 2 is crpg so is deus ex:hr faggots :x
In before potato.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
MetalCraze said:
- Quest compass. Can't be turned off.
Considering that levels in the game are quite small, especially compared to a real Deus Ex it makes no sense apart from ruining whatever need to explore there is. However maybe it stops RPG gamers from getting lost.

- Dumb AI. See those enemies on your magical radar behind the door? Make some noise and retards will start running through it creating a nice pile of dead bodies.

- Minigames. As in all good RPG games you don't use skills which are so '90s. You play minigames. Character development? Different builds? Varied classes? Who needs that in RPG?

- You can toggle quest markers in your quest log if you don't want Comrade Quest Compass to assist you.

- The AI in DX1 wasn't exactly stellar either. Come to think of it, the AI in fallout 1 & 2 was pretty easy to bait too. It's a recurring trend in rpgs.

- Skills (or augmentations in this case) do have a direct influence on your success probabilities in the minigame though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Jaesun said:

That's all you have to say?

Well, in his defense, he's pretty much Captain Obvious here. Though he could have put it nicer.

Not sure what your sexual preference has to do with this though. Perhaps FSM is very angry about gay romance?

Since always? Last time I played DE, it was a shooter with light RPG elements.

what rpg elements dx1 needs so you could call it shooter with medium rpg elemenets or even shooter with heavy rpg elements?:troll:

oooh and last time i played dx i used guns maybe twice in hole fuking game...stealth motherfucker :yeah:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ulminati said:
- You can toggle quest markers in your quest log if you don't want Comrade Quest Compass to assist you.
That helps a lot when it gives away another thing.

The AI in DX1 wasn't exactly stellar either.
I thought 10 years later we will get at least some improvements?

Come to think of it, the AI in fallout 1 & 2 was pretty easy to bait too. It's a recurring trend in rpgs.
I have a hard time telling RPGs and shooters apart, can you help?

Skills (or augmentations in this case) do have a direct influence on your success probabilities in the minigame though.
If you will add some sugar to a shit will it make it edible?

Grunker said:
Jaesun said:

That's all you have to say?

Well, in his defense, he's pretty much Captain Obvious here. Though he could have put it nicer.

Not sure what your sexual preference has to do with this though. Perhaps FSM is very angry about gay romance?

Being a faggot has nothing to do with taking dicks in the ass. I'm all for taking dicks in the ass. I :love: Jaesun. But moving a thread about an actual RPG while leaving this on the front page of GRPG was pretty retarded.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There was a reason this was left in GRPG Discussions.

But it a SEKRET!

EDIT: After 19 pages, I'm fairly sure I can ignore this POS and keep playing my beloved original DX.

:love:

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
lol sometimes I wonder if everyone is trolling.

What is real? :hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom