Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light

soutaiseiriron

Educated
The game is utter trash.
no, game is ok. it has a neat movement system that gets a bit tedious if you do it too much, but it's just an ok 7/10.
- No actual noise/sound system, most of the time virals spawn randomly or from shit that shouldn't make any sound, like melee/unarmed fighting, jumping down, or whatever.
- 2 handed melee weapons slower and less damage than 1h, thus completely useless.
- Gunplay is really badly designed and clunky.
yes. especially gunplay, the shooter elements are just total shit. i can't really remember many grievances with the sound system personally tho
- Insane hitpoint bloat on harder difficulties, on Nightmare you can literally hit a street trash zombie in the head 20 times with a top of the line upgraded sword and sometimes they will still live.
the trick is not to use upgraded weapons. the trick is to only use the weapons that bandits drop, which are also level scaled and outdamage anything you could possibly craft/upgrade/buy/drop until you're NG+. if you do that, then normal zombies die pretty ok, but if you don't then it's 30 whacks to kill them and it's really shit.
- No warning about nightmare at start, ie that it was designed for after leveling up Legendary tree.
- Cannot use many melee moves that you level on tougher enemies (volatiles/humans).
- Basically you are just a running retard symbolized in final sequence, when Rais calls you a monkey while you run for your life. Good game for people that like jumping through hoops for others.
- Stupid story, try hard villain that's like a cartoon bad guy, evil organizations, etc.
- QTE/cinematic boss fights, lol.
- No achievement for completing on Nightmare.
all true

Back to Twitcher 3, Breath of the Wild & Cyberpunk with you :salute:

Game is great, you just clearly got filtered. In my mind one of very few worthwhile AAAs of the 2010s.

I don't think you understand what "filtered" means. I just beat it on Nightmare, which you are not even supposed to play on until NG+.

Zlaja

Arcane
If it was up to me, I would've just locked the Nightmare difficulty until players have a character ready for NG+. I don't usually like locked difficulties, but in this case it's warranted.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Ash was right from the start, it's a fun game. All the edgelords shiting on the game from page 1 is truly codexian.
Playing it now and having a blast exploring a bleak atmospheric city during a day and parkouring through the night feeling the tension. Dead island got boring soon, but they clearly improved with Dying Light.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Ash was right from the start, it's a fun game. All the edgelords shiting on the game from page 1 is truly codexian.
Playing it now and having a blast exploring a bleak atmospheric city during a day and parkouring through the night feeling the tension. Dead island got boring soon, but they clearly improved with Dying Light.
It's a good game but the sequel is not. Enjoy it while you can.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What's wrong with the sequel? It seems even more RPGy than the first part.

Ryzer

Arcane

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
There are many things wrong with the sequel but most importantly: the feeling of danger from the 1st game is no longer there.

I don't know why but they've neutered the game's appeal.

It's true that they added a lot of content post-release but what's the point when they still cannot capture the feeling of the original!?

Last edited:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Yeah, already thought as much. All the more reason to enjoy the first game. It is certainly no trash.

Ash

Arcane
Have to apologize to PorkyThePaladin even though he's a faggot. I replayed Dying Light recently on Nightmare difficulty and it is a retardedly-designed difficulty mode. e.g enemies take so much beating with melee you're practically forced to rely on spamming instakill moves. It's not very well thought-out. Stick to normal and hard difficulty. It's not your typical modern AAA shite, those difficulties offer a reasonable challenge. You can always throw on a mod after the fact to make it more hardcore without the stupid nightmare mode.

I am right 99.5% of the time. :obviously:

Machocruz

Arcane
Still one of my favorite AAA of its generation. First area in particular was very immersive and nicely designed. Played on Normal, difficulty level was sufficient, challenging even, compared to typical Papa Mole. Did everything except the extra modes, Bozak Horde and all that shit. Holiday events were pretty fun. DL2 looks like "we have Dying Light at home, dear".

Have to apologize to PorkyThePaladin even though he's a faggot. I replayed Dying Light recently on Nightmare difficulty and it is a retardedly-designed difficulty mode. e.g enemies take so much beating with melee you're practically forced to rely on spamming instakill moves. It's not very well thought-out. Stick to normal and hard difficulty. It's not your typical modern AAA shite, those difficulties offer a reasonable challenge. You can always throw on a mod after the fact to make it more hardcore without the stupid nightmare mode.

Yo momma can tell you, I am as straight as the surface of your brain. Other than that, apology accepted. ;)

bussinrounds

Augur
Any mods recommended for this ? I see HUD mods like HUD declutter and some other older ones..
Overgrowth, dynamic weather and extended time cycles, FOV camera expanded, nightmare row...

RoSoDude

Arcane
Most of the gameplay overhaul mods for Dying Light are heavy-handed and turn the game into something it was never supposed to be. Most of it guided by muh realism, or removing fun shit like the grappling hook. You could call me biased I suppose — the dearth of good hardcore/balance mods is why I started working on my own (currently on the backburner) — but the original game is solidly engaging on Normal/Hard difficulty already.

If you've already played it, then go nuts and try stuff out.

bussinrounds

Augur
Most of the gameplay overhaul mods for Dying Light are heavy-handed and turn the game into something it was never supposed to be. Most of it guided by muh realism, or removing fun shit like the grappling hook. You could call me biased I suppose — the dearth of good hardcore/balance mods is why I started working on my own (currently on the backburner) — but the original game is solidly engaging on Normal/Hard difficulty already.

If you've already played it, then go nuts and try stuff out.
Never played it. What's the differences between normal and hard ?

Zlaja

Arcane
Never played it. What's the differences between normal and hard ?

On normal you get more loot and your "witcher sense" can easily detect loot stashes for you. In other words, play on hard. Loot is plentiful, anyway. Also, on hard enemies hit harder, you heal over time and game isn't paused when you enter your inventory.

PS: Nightmare mode is meant for NG+ (literally).

RoSoDude

Arcane
Full list of Hard mode changes.

You can switch the difficulty mid playthrough, but only from the start menu. I would advise most players start on Normal for a bit, since the bashing sticks you get are pitifully useless for killing undead until survivor rank 9 or so, when there is a sudden jump in the power curve. I found combat prohibitive early on in Hard mode, which led to me getting fewer points in the power tree, which then limited my options in combat. Also, having the survivor sense indicate what you can interact with in the environment is helpful at first because it's a modern game with realistic clutter all over the place, and mousing over everything while spamming the use key is just a waste of your time.

Hard mode is definitely an improved experience overall, and it's how I replay the game as well as switching up to it after a few hours, but I found there was a lot to get used to in the early hours, which is when Normal was already capable of putting up a challenge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom