Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light

Ash

Arcane
Sounds like he filtered himself. Even normal is refreshingly challenging...for a modern game. I still have yet to play the game on Nghtmare (maybe? I know I at least did hard), which will be next playthrough I guess. But yeah, if you don't scavenge and craft good weapons you will be standing there hacking away, which is what is called "failing at the game". It's RPG-like in that regard. You ditch the rusty broken short sword ASAP.

That's the issue with fanboys, they have no original thoughts. Literally a regurgitating machine spewing "git gud" like their life depended on it. You tell them fucking developers themselves tell you not to play hard/nightmare at first because the game wasn't designed for it (although only online, not in the game itself, that would be too... logical), but they keep harping on "oh he didnt craft good weapons". I did craft good weapons, the best weapon you can have at those levels will still take 15-20 hits to the head on a typical zombie.

Last edited:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
You tell them fucking developers themselves tell you not to play hard/nightmare at first because the game wasn't designed for it
Just lower the difficulty.
Alternatively just stop playing since you're a retard who bought a parkour game and are now crying that the game initially expects you to use your mobility to get around enemies rather than just killing them all.

Look SpaceBoogerz, I realize you have the brains of a pigeon, but I am trying here... If the game offers 4 difficulty settings, and the top 2 hitpoint bloat the shit out of enemies so much, you need to have the legendary skilltree, which only unlocks after you max one of the other trees, so roughly around 20+ level, that's what we in the 3 digit IQ community call shit design.

I realize you are a dumb fanboy, but when people point out shit design in a game that you like, you telling them to stop playing it or change the difficulty or whatever other non-sequitur your bird brains come up with are irrelevant. Shit game, the end.

Also, the whole "parkour game" angle is for retards like you. Mirror's Edge marketed itself as purely a parkour game (that's why I never bought it). Dying Light has parkour, but it markets zombies, weapons, combat, even firearms at higher levels, so it markets itself as a zombie survival game, where parkour is one element of it. The problem is the other elements are designed like shit. And parkour itself grows boring quickly because all the other shit is so badly designed. For example, it's not really fun to run around rooftops when the slightest sound spawns 4 Virals around you, or when you can't see where you are jumping and fall to death because there is a massive drop after some large obstacle that obscures your view.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
. If the game offers 4 difficulty settings, and the top 2 hitpoint bloat the shit out of enemies so much, you need to have the legendary skilltree,
Hard mode was released before the Following, Legend skills weren't a thing.

muh marketing

Trailer featuring characters running and jumping around on rooftops, fleeing from larger crowds of enemies while the song "Run Boy Run" by Woodkid plays.
Clearly, you're correct. Parkour was simply a minor addition and the developers never expected players to ever engage with, turns out I've been playing this game wrong the entire time...

. If the game offers 4 difficulty settings, and the top 2 hitpoint bloat the shit out of enemies so much, you need to have the legendary skilltree,
Hard mode was released before the Following, Legend skills weren't a thing.

The Legend skill-tree you need for the Nightmare mode (which they don't tell you). That's the one I played on. The hard mode though also bloats the shit out the zombies, from what I read online, so same shit. You wouldn't know cause you only play on story mode.

muh marketing

Trailer featuring characters running and jumping around on rooftops, fleeing from larger crowds of enemies while the song "Run Boy Run" by Woodkid plays.
Clearly, you're correct. Parkour was simply a minor addition and the developers never expected players to ever engage with, turns out I've been playing this game wrong the entire time...

Stop playing with semantics, you don't have the processing power for it. I didn't say parkous was minor, I said it was one element of the game. You can find any marketing video advertising any aspect of a game, down to one female NPC's tits, what is your point? Clearly combat is also an important part of the game, and they shit all over it design-wise. Parkour is also not that good, for some of the reasons I outlined above.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dying Light is utter trash, one of the worst designed games I've ever played in my life.

1. Difficulty - I usually play games on hardest difficulty, so I played this on Nightmare. I guess I should've realized something was wrong when it takes 15-20 headshot hits with a melee weapon to kill a random trash zombie on the streets, and after 20-30 hits, your melee weapon degrades and needs to be repaired/replaced. Lol. So apparently what passes for harder difficulty in Poland is MASSIVE hitpoint bloat and also they spawn these annoying virals in Nightmare in hordes around you, these fuckers actually have relatively lower health but move around like Bruce Lee on Adderall. Then there are the annoying mobs that explode the moment you are close and one shot kill you, and half the time you cant even tell its them cause they are behind a door or standing with their back to you.
Pray tell me - since you figured out the hardcore level means hp bloat didn't it occur to you to try easier difficulties and see if they fit you better?

If not, why? You were afraid of losing your street cred or something?
There are also human enemies that you can block and dodge you, but you can barely do anything to them. The kicker is, whenever you die, you lose your Survivor skill points, which level up your ability to get better equipment, so basically you are completely fucked.

Every retard fanboy online says "oh, just get gud and the game is easy when you have 2 fully upgraded shotguns", but of course that doesn't address the issue that you need to level up quite a bit to get to guns.

I was curious about how such retardation could be designed by anything with 23 chromosomes, so I googled around and found out that apparently the devs never meant for the harder game modes to be played at the beginning. You are supposed to play on Normal at first, then NG on Hard, and then NG+ on Nightmare, or some such shit. Imagine the retarded hubris to think that 1. players will play your shitty game 3 times in a row, and 2. that someone just trying to play this for the first time would know this.
I guess starting a new game on highest difficulty level is not always optimal. Who knew?
2. Trash combat - aside from my gripes above, the combat is basically designed to be played as a cat/run away simulator. Unlike other, far better, zombie games, no matter how little noise you make, e.g. by fighting with melee weapons or unarmed, or by crouching, or by quietly walking, zombies will aggro on you and magically spawn all around. So getting into a fight early on is suicide. Instead, you are meant to run up a house like a cat up a tree, and then headstomp virals or some sick shit like that. The game actually gets much more fun once you have firearms, but of course it takes a while to get them, so much of the game you are stuck using next to useless melee shit and what they probably thought was cool parkour/unarmed moves, but what's in reality absolute fucking tedium.
The characters in the tower tell you that your survival relies on mobility. It's a community started by a parcour trainer ffs. They even give you a base training. At what point did it occur to you that the game wants you to brute force through it?
3. Trash city design - fucking road tunnels and bridges are blocked everywhere, so half the time you gotta take some unholy long way around the city to get to the other side.
With parcour it rarely takes more that a few minutes.
4. Parkour gets old fast - First few hours it's a nice change of pace from most games, but after a 50,000th building you gotta climb, what is the fucking point...
Survival? It's not a cool trick to make you say wow. It's a manner of keeping you alive.

Besides there are not many high buildings in the slums. And once yiu reach the old town you have the grappling hook that makes climbing much easier.
5. Boring story/writing - starts out nice, but soon you are helping a bunch of literal retards sprinkled around the city.
That's the point, isn't it? The city is filled with pockets of resistance so you help them to advance the plot and get resources, schematics etc. I won't defend DL story but aiding survivors is not its among its greatest weaknesses.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The fact that you can't just mow down enemies at the start of the game and have to be careful about which fights you pick was one of the best parts of the game. It gave it a proper survival feel. One of my biggest criticisms is that you become overpowered in the second half and oneshot most enemies.

Zlaja

Arcane
I played on hard mode and got my ass kicked by both human enemies and virals early on. Then I wised up and quit trying to melee humans and just used molotovs and (eventually) guns against them. Virals got much more managable when I got the mighty stomp.

Still, kept being annoyed by the fact that virals keep swarming you even when you're making no noise. That was bullshit, which even contradicts the in-game lore. Apparently, they're somewhat less numerous on normal, but I didn't want to switch from hard, because on hard resources are more scarce (still too plentiful) and your Witcher sense only highlights Volatiles at night, unlike on normal where it highlights loot as well.

Dying Light is utter trash, one of the worst designed games I've ever played in my life.

1. Difficulty - I usually play games on hardest difficulty, so I played this on Nightmare. I guess I should've realized something was wrong when it takes 15-20 headshot hits with a melee weapon to kill a random trash zombie on the streets, and after 20-30 hits, your melee weapon degrades and needs to be repaired/replaced. Lol. So apparently what passes for harder difficulty in Poland is MASSIVE hitpoint bloat and also they spawn these annoying virals in Nightmare in hordes around you, these fuckers actually have relatively lower health but move around like Bruce Lee on Adderall. Then there are the annoying mobs that explode the moment you are close and one shot kill you, and half the time you cant even tell its them cause they are behind a door or standing with their back to you.
Pray tell me - since you figured out the hardcore level means hp bloat didn't it occur to you to try easier difficulties and see if they fit you better?

If not, why? You were afraid of losing your street cred or something?

How is this related to the point of my post? The game is designed like trash if:

1. Higher difficulties involve hitpoint bloat and insanely raised spawn rates
2. Game lets you select said difficulties when you should not be playing them

There are also human enemies that you can block and dodge you, but you can barely do anything to them. The kicker is, whenever you die, you lose your Survivor skill points, which level up your ability to get better equipment, so basically you are completely fucked.

Every retard fanboy online says "oh, just get gud and the game is easy when you have 2 fully upgraded shotguns", but of course that doesn't address the issue that you need to level up quite a bit to get to guns.

I was curious about how such retardation could be designed by anything with 23 chromosomes, so I googled around and found out that apparently the devs never meant for the harder game modes to be played at the beginning. You are supposed to play on Normal at first, then NG on Hard, and then NG+ on Nightmare, or some such shit. Imagine the retarded hubris to think that 1. players will play your shitty game 3 times in a row, and 2. that someone just trying to play this for the first time would know this.
I guess starting a new game on highest difficulty level is not always optimal. Who knew?

Why not? I do this all the time. Good games let you overcome higher difficulties with player skill or persistence or whatever, bad games are literally blocked behind hard locks (legendary tree, survivor points being lost on death).

2. Trash combat - aside from my gripes above, the combat is basically designed to be played as a cat/run away simulator. Unlike other, far better, zombie games, no matter how little noise you make, e.g. by fighting with melee weapons or unarmed, or by crouching, or by quietly walking, zombies will aggro on you and magically spawn all around. So getting into a fight early on is suicide. Instead, you are meant to run up a house like a cat up a tree, and then headstomp virals or some sick shit like that. The game actually gets much more fun once you have firearms, but of course it takes a while to get them, so much of the game you are stuck using next to useless melee shit and what they probably thought was cool parkour/unarmed moves, but what's in reality absolute fucking tedium.
The characters in the tower tell you that your survival relies on mobility. It's a community started by a parcour trainer ffs. They even give you a base training. At what point did it occur to you that the game wants you to brute force through it?

You are strawmanning here. I never said I should brute force my way through the game, but taking out a few zombies here or there seems reasonable, except in this pile, taking out anything takes forever because of hitpoint bloat, and by that point, 1001 of its friends will magically spawn around you, despite you not making any noise. Shit design.

3. Trash city design - fucking road tunnels and bridges are blocked everywhere, so half the time you gotta take some unholy long way around the city to get to the other side.
With parcour it rarely takes more that a few minutes.

You can't parkour over a blocked highway.

4. Parkour gets old fast - First few hours it's a nice change of pace from most games, but after a 50,000th building you gotta climb, what is the fucking point...
Survival? It's not a cool trick to make you say wow. It's a manner of keeping you alive.

Yeah, headstomping a viral from the roof for the 10,000th time is great. Way better than actual combat in other games.

Besides there are not many high buildings in the slums. And once yiu reach the old town you have the grappling hook that makes climbing much easier.
5. Boring story/writing - starts out nice, but soon you are helping a bunch of literal retards sprinkled around the city.
That's the point, isn't it? The city is filled with pockets of resistance so you help them to advance the plot and get resources, schematics etc. I won't defend DL story but aiding survivors is not its among its greatest weaknesses.

No, I mean literal retards. Ghazi, watching TV with his scarecrow mom, the gasmask retard, etc.

Beastro

Arcane
The itemization and progression ruined this game for me. I did so much early on there was a huge gap before the middle section that bored me into quitting.

I actually thought this game was a satire judging by plot and dialogue. I burst out laughing when the bad guy screamed the protags name into the sky Wrath of Khan style but then it slowly sunk in that, no, they were treating this melodrama with the utmost sincerity.

Ash

Arcane
Eh, you can kill zombies early no problem. Just selectively. Taking on massive hordes is for later.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
porky is right. game is health bloated as fuck on nightmare. the highest dmg weapons i had (which were ones human enemies carried, and human enemies are silly easy to kill) beat out the very best i could craft or buy for most of the game by about 5-10x, and those were the only weapons that had tolerable zombie TTK. parkour and parkour combat also does get tedious af 100% since you're doing the same shit over and over and the game is about 10 hours too long.

only really hard part is dealing with the big zombies that show up at night. you can basically l4d2 crown them with a shotgun, but you won't have that until endgame and getting chased is more fun anyway. the shooter sections with human enemies were bullshit fake difficulty and largely terrible, since the fps mechanics are bad.

Zlaja

Arcane
porky is right. game is health bloated as fuck on nightmare

FFS, the nightmare mode is for NG+ characters. Like, literally. It's not meant for first time play, no matter how competent of a player you are, and at what difficulties you usually play games. While it's still technically possible to beat the game on Nightmare from the get go, it requires serious 'jumping through hoops', which ruins the whole experience. Also, this difficulty didn't exist when the game first launched.

PS: Hard mode is balls hard enough, early on. Those that enjoy hard games should choose that.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
"its not meant for a first time play"
game proceeds not to mention that
ok dude. i don't really give a fuck and it's not my job to research your game's difficulty settings before playing it. i still enjoyed the game, it's just that they shouldn't have made the normal zombies so health bloated for no good reason that makes it into this tedious game of constant knock down and stomps. i'll take the other changes just fine.

While it's still technically possible to beat the game on Nightmare from the get go, it requires serious 'jumping through hoops',
the only jumping through hoops required is just using your utility and using the only weapons that have actually meaningful damage since the weapon damage scaling is so fucked up.

Zlaja

Arcane
i don't really give a fuck and it's not my job to research your game's difficulty settings before playing it

Yes, they should have definitely made that clear in the description of said mode, but that's no excuse for stubbornly continuing on that mode, despite realizing something feels off.

i'll take the other changes just fine

Hard mode has some of those changes too, and is, in my opinion, the best way to experience the game on your first playthrough.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Yes, they should have definitely made that clear in the description of said mode, but that's no excuse for stubbornly continuing on that mode, despite realizing something feels off.
i felt something was off and then i stumbled into a 280 damage sword carried by a dead NPC survivor, when my normal weapons and what i found in the world had about 10-30dmg. i was then killing zombos pretty ok and i just continued on, and reupped on those same human NPC weapons every so often by killing bandits.
and me not being a stubborn mf? no chance.

Aside from the insane hitpoint bloat on Nightmare, and the stupid legendary skill tree, the worst thing about Dying Light is that it has ZERO simulation aspects or internal logic. Zombies literally spawn around you out of thin air, and the game is so fucking blatant and obvious with it. Doesn't matter how many you kill, they will keep spawning infinitely, doesn't matter how and where you position yourself, get a bad spawn wave with like 4 virals magically spawning behind you, good luck.

The sound model is just as dumb. Any little thing will set off the virals, no matter how little noise you actually make.

Unlike other more intelligent zombie games, planning is generally fucking useless here, because how do you plan for infinitely spawning enemies aggroed by random bullshit? Just keep running around like an idiot.

And whoever designed the death/save system, with you losing survival points on death, must've been a legit sadist.

Ash

Arcane
Utter casual joined the braindead zombies and still managed to write a post. Not bad.

the worst thing about Dying Light is that it has ZERO simulation aspects
Then your definition of simulation aspects is far too narrow.

But as for your particular complaint, how else are they to keep the pressure forever on you? They're braindead fucking zombies, so constantly throwing them at the player is needed. Sure, maybe a few more scripted spawn animations would be nice (e.g crawl out from under rubble), but for the most part what they did suffices. You never see a spawn, that's all that really matters. Not all games need to be realism OCD autism. In fact that has been killing games for decades if you ask me.

The sound model is just as dumb. Any little thing will set off the virals, no matter how little noise you actually make.

how do you plan for infinitely spawning enemies aggroed by random bullshit? Just keep running around like an idiot.

And whoever designed the death/save system, with you losing survival points on death, must've been a legit sadist.

Very casual

Honestly though, you should have picked a lower difficulty. It does not follow modern AAA convention where the hardest difficulty is required to even get any challenge at all. Normal is challenging. Hard is a little more so. Nightmare is NOT suitable for first timers. It's old school in that regard - most 90s games you do NOT start on the highest difficulty.

Last edited:
Finished the game on Nightmare, first time. The game is utter trash.

- Zombies spawn infinitely around player, no simulation, planning, etc. The fun part in most zombie games is clearing zombies, and eventually zombie hordes, but in this one, can't clear an infinite resource. And it's just kills immersion and realism, with these shits spawning all around you from magic clouds.
- No actual noise/sound system, most of the time virals spawn randomly or from shit that shouldn't make any sound, like melee/unarmed fighting, jumping down, or whatever.
- 2 handed melee weapons slower and less damage than 1h, thus completely useless.
- Gunplay is really badly designed and clunky.
- Insane hitpoint bloat on harder difficulties, on Nightmare you can literally hit a street trash zombie in the head 20 times with a top of the line upgraded sword and sometimes they will still live.
- No warning about nightmare at start, ie that it was designed for after leveling up Legendary tree.
- Cannot use many melee moves that you level on tougher enemies (volatiles/humans).
- Basically you are just a running retard symbolized in final sequence, when Rais calls you a monkey while you run for your life. Good game for people that like jumping through hoops for others.
- Stupid story, try hard villain that's like a cartoon bad guy, evil organizations, etc.
- QTE/cinematic boss fights, lol.
- No achievement for completing on Nightmare.

Ash

Arcane
Back to Twitcher 3, Breath of the Wild & Cyberpunk with you :salute:

Game is great, you just clearly got filtered. In my mind one of very few worthwhile AAAs of the 2010s.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom