Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dynamic Shadows for New Vegas soon

Drakron

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
When did Fallout 3 ever have one? What, that everything was plastic and yellow/brownish?

Talking about in general but yes, FO3 have one ... see the FO3 "beauty packs" that are very much Oblivion hairs and completely out of place with the "50's" aesthetics of fashion that are in FO3.

You can complain about FO3 but fact is they offsourced the artwork and therefor the style of FO3 and its a pretty good one in my opinion, like Oblivion were the style is drowned by the sloppy design of the game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
I literally stop at every item and examine the shadow it casts for 2 minutes before I move on.

Isn't that how games like Crysis are played?

Misterhamper said:
Next you're probably gonna say you would rather play with no shadows than with shadows.

No. I'd gladly play with shitty shadows that however don't look like the same piece of wood has different levels of light penetration.

Gerrard

Arcane
Drakron said:
SoupNazi said:
I'd say it looks about a hundred and five percent better than vanilla New Vegas, but edgy Codex gotta stay edgy.

Well I have to disagree on that, one issue I have with modders they are tend to go EXTREME ... take textures, many think they can just sharp and add noise and voila! HD textures and that is not even the worst, the worst is when they go "photorealistic" and downright ignore the art direction.

DOF efforts usually go to the extreme were everything is just blurred and its not something you should be even doing because the focus or defocus should be done by YOUR eyes, things SHOULD be sharp with the haze effect be on distant LOD objects, by blurring the crap out of it you are in fact STRAINING YOUR EYES because they will try to focus something that is just out of focus.

Its not a fucking movie with often shifting camera angles and even movies BOTHER to keep things in focus WHEN its a panoramic shoot.
In case you didn't notice devs are doing everything they can to make games look like you're vieing them through a shitty camera, even if the game in question is FPP.

The most retarded recent effect they tend to add is vignetting, which adds black shit around the edges of the screen and makes it look like you have glaucoma.

Stinger

Arcane
Is there a DOF mod that simply blurs out everything in the far far distance? Basically the regions where the textures haven't properly loaded due to LOD issues.

I don't like standing on top of a mountain and then noticing all the shitty, not properly loaded textures on the distant mountains. I don't like the way DOF is currently applied by modders (i.e. BLUR EVERYTHING except the stuff that is focused on by the crosshair) so is there any mod that applies those effects in a more subtle way?

Project Reality looks interesting but the skies look way too dull and gloomy- like it's about to rain any second instead of a more warm, deserty feel. I really like how, say, the Western Skies mod looks- the effect is pretty freaking good. It's just a shame the sandstorms have no sound and the Jacobstown and Strip skies look shit (don't really care for other weather effects especially something as nonsensical as Rad storms). I hope those shadow mods can at least be dled separately from the rest of the mod as I don't want Project Reality's skies.

Destroid

Arcane
The very simple shadows really stuck out in FO3/FONV, makes it look like shit. It's pathetic on Bethesda's part to make such a shitty engine, lacking such old features.

Misterhamper

Scholar
Stinger said:
Is there a DOF mod that simply blurs out everything in the far far distance? Basically the regions where the textures haven't properly loaded due to LOD issues.

I don't like standing on top of a mountain and then noticing all the shitty, not properly loaded textures on the distant mountains. I don't like the way DOF is currently applied by modders (i.e. BLUR EVERYTHING except the stuff that is focused on by the crosshair) so is there any mod that applies those effects in a more subtle way?

Project Reality looks interesting but the skies look way too dull and gloomy- like it's about to rain any second instead of a more warm, deserty feel. I really like how, say, the Western Skies mod looks- the effect is pretty freaking good. It's just a shame the sandstorms have no sound and the Jacobstown and Strip skies look shit (don't really care for other weather effects especially something as nonsensical as Rad storms). I hope those shadow mods can at least be dled separately from the rest of the mod as I don't want Project Reality's skies.

Project Reality's DOF works like that, and so does Imaginator's. Prefer Imanigators myself. And also Enhanced Shaders, I think, but that one sucks.
I haven't had those feelings with the skies that you do.... but You could probably just use the sky-textures from another mod. Or message him your suggestion, he seems like a modder very open to other peoples opinions and suggestions, unlike many other modders.

Stinger

Arcane
Misterhamper said:
Project Reality's DOF works like that, and so does Imaginator's. Prefer Imanigators myself. And also Enhanced Shaders, I think, but that one sucks.
I haven't had those feelings with the skies that you do.... but You could probably just use the sky-textures from another mod. Or message him your suggestion, he seems like a modder very open to other peoples opinions and suggestions, unlike many other modders.

Ah thanks for the tip. I think I commented on it a while back and he did say he'd work on that (and to his credit the skies look a lot more sunny now than when it first came out). Certainly seems like the guy is pretty dedicated to making a quality mod. I might try that copying textures from the other mod suggestion and see how that turns out. Hopefully the textures won't clash too much.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Multi-headed Cow said:
BROS I HAVE FOUND THE PROMISED LAND OF FALLOUT NEW VEGAS MODS
http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=1301
IT EVEN LETS YOU RAPE CHILDREN AND THEY YELL "OW. OW. OW. HELP! HELP! OW." ISN'T THAT GREAT? AND DEATHCLAWS AND SUPER MUTANTS CAN RAPE YOU BROS IT'S HEAVAN

I love the internet.
I am a hedonistic son of a bitch that dose nothing that dose not pleasure me in some ways and i am in awe IN GODDAMN AWE of some of the shit that happens on the internet.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Holy fuck, the new Nexus layout is ugly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom