Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime E3 2013 June 10-13th

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Every other mechanic in the entire game will be simpler than combat, even dialog—so, should every other choice and skill check and dialog option be forgiving and non-frustrating and non-fuck-uppable?

My guess is that they're going to try to implement dialogue skill checks such a way that the player has little choice but to accept the consequences of failure. Probably by making them dependent on stats that are static or increase only very slowly, so there's no, eg, Age of Decadence Beta 1 style metagame where you save up your skill points until you need them for the next dialogue. And of course, no randomness.

A large part of PE's design basically revolves around "convincing players that they should allow themselves to fail".

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hahaha, I know it has been typical for E3 demos and the like to run on PCs instead of actual consoles, but all signs point to the Xboner games running on a standard Windows 7 install. It would be hilarious if they went through all the trouble of creating proprietary hardware just to run a slightly modified version of Windows.
What's so hilarious about DRM walled gardens?

Bruticis

If this is his full time job he's a gaming journalist, if he's just blogging on his free time like some of us do. He's a blogger.
He's a full time blogger working for a blog website. Not a journalist.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Hahaha, I know it has been typical for E3 demos and the like to run on PCs instead of actual consoles, but all signs point to the Xboner games running on a standard Windows 7 install. It would be hilarious if they went through all the trouble of creating proprietary hardware just to run a slightly modified version of Windows.

I have a feeling that future consoles starting now are just going to be constricted PCs in a "cool" little case with a ton of bullshit DRM built in.

It is using a slightly modified version of Windows 8. So, you are free to laugh heartily.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If this is his full time job he's a gaming journalist, if he's just blogging on his free time like some of us do. He's a blogger.
He's a full time blogger working for a blog website. Not a journalist.

Sorry, i thought your problem was with "Gaming journalist" as a job.
There's no problem with the job of s gaming journalist, except that nobody is doing it. There are no people that would dream about growing up and uncovering the bullshit that is endemic in the industry, just people who want to be paid for playing games, that'd be cool and free pizza too (and even if there were, they have nothing to work with, as the publishers do not need to work with them, because they have a cadre of loyal PR reps hobbyist fanzine writers to shill their games and the consumer base is not interested anyway, as long as the newest engine can render cool explosions and lens flares). Even established newspapers outsource their gaming sections to externists, mostly just game bloggers moonlighting.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
My guess is that they're going to try to implement dialogue skill checks such a way that the player has little choice but to accept the consequences of failure. Probably by making them dependent on stats that are static or increase only very slowly, so there's no, eg, Age of Decadence Beta 1 style metagame where you save up your skill points until you need them for the next dialogue. And of course, no randomness.

Probably doesn't matter when different dialog options lead to different outcomes; not everything is "choose A and hope to succeed skill roll." Stats/skills aside, if there's a choice A.) and B.) and C.) and the devs don't have some kind of script to force you to re-choose A.) upon loading, then surely you can reload and choose B.) instead.

A large part of PE's design basically revolves around "convincing players that they should allow themselves to fail".

I suppose that in and of itself is laudable, but if party member death = unacceptable = reload regardless, then it undermines the whole endeavor. You either force people to accept what happens with a single locked save that saves instantly whenever anything happens a la Roguelikes (yes it's cheatable, but who cares, let them... all games have cheats), or just let people save/load as they please.

If that varlet Sawyer does pull off this hybrid "accept some failure, most of the time, when it doesn't matter much" approach properly through all his flimflam and jiggery-pokery, then hats off to him. I'll donate $10 to a third-world-orientated feminist charity in his and Roguey's name.

Dexter

Arcane
Some of the other shit shown at E3 that didn't get any time on any of the Press Conferences:

Take on Mars by Bohemia Interactive:

Command & Conquer (Generals 2) by EA Victory:

Outlast:

Dragon’s Crown:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Probably doesn't matter when different dialog options lead to different outcomes; not everything is "choose A and hope to succeed skill roll." Stats/skills aside, if there's a choice A.) and B.) and C.) and the devs don't have some kind of script to force you to re-choose A.) upon loading, then surely you can reload and choose B.) instead.

There's nothing wrong with deciding you don't like how a particular conversation went and reloading to try something else, as long the entire game isn't a series of dialogues with one correct "winning" option, or something like that.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Rundown of what Quantum Break actually is:
http://kotaku.com/quantum-breaks-creator-says-its-tv-game-hybrid-makes-p-512948212

• Quantum Break is an action shooter with time-manipulation mechanics.
  • You play as Jack Joyce. But you can also play as Beth Wilder. And actually you can also play as the game's villain, Paul Serene, who runs an equally villainous corporation called Monarch that specializes in time travel technology. P.S. Jack and Paul used to be best friends.
  • Once upon a time, a time travel experiment gone wrong left the world fragmented. Time sometimes breaks down. And because the three playable characters were present at the time of this experiment, their exposure has granted them the ability to manipulate time.
  • Paul Serene has the best time-manipulating powers. He can see glimpses into future timelines and choose which to follow. This is where the playable bit comes in. You will be doing the choosing for him. A little bit like playing chess with yourself, maybe, but creator Sam Lake tells me that in choosing a timeline you're mostly picking what kind of drama you want to follow. And, also, what enemies you want to fight.
  • Fun Fact: Remedy enlisted in a scientist consultant who has had work experience at CERN and currently lectures at universities. He taught them all about quantum and classical physics to help them mold their time travel storyline into something that makes theoretical sense. Sam Lake admitted a lot of this was over their heads, but it proved to be useful input.
  • And, of course, there's a TV show that goes along with the story. Watching it can clue you in on some tips for how to play through the game, but there's a whole lot more to it.

I'd play dat time-manipulated shit.

On PC.

Remedy?

Dexter

Arcane
This is apparently a thing:
13713229012282cxb9.png

grdja

Augur
http://kotaku.com/quantum-breaks-creator-says-its-tv-game-hybrid-makes-p-512948212

• You play as Jack Joyce. But you can also play as Beth Wilder. And actually you can also play as the game's villain, Paul Serene, who runs an equally villainous corporation called Monarch that specializes in time travel technology. P.S. Jack and Paul used to be best friends.
  • Once upon a time, a time travel experiment gone wrong left the world fragmented. Time sometimes breaks down. And because the three playable characters were present at the time of this experiment, their exposure has granted them the ability to manipulate time.
  • Paul Serene has the best time-manipulating powers. He can see glimpses into future timelines and choose which to follow. This is where the playable bit comes in. You will be doing the choosing for him. A little bit like playing chess with yourself, maybe, but creator Sam Lake tells me that in choosing a timeline you're mostly picking what kind of drama you want to follow. And, also, what enemies you want to fight.
  • Fun Fact: Remedy enlisted in a scientist consultant who has had work experience at CERN and currently lectures at universities. He taught them all about quantum and classical physics to help them mold their time travel storyline into something that makes theoretical sense. Sam Lake admitted a lot of this was over their heads, but it proved to be useful input.
  • And, of course, there's a TV show that goes along with the story. Watching it can clue you in on some tips for how to play through the game, but there's a whole lot more to it.

On PC.

Remedy?
So like Timeshift or Singularity or dozen other games?

DeepOcean

Arcane

On PC.

Remedy?

If by manipulating time they mean slow time to shoot people, 4 easy to solve puzzles in the whole game or rewinding time to undo a mistake that could be easily undone by reloading, I'm not impressed. Max Payne 1 and 2 were awesome (2 less so) but Alan Wake kinda burn out my goodwill with them.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That's a retarded no true Scotsman argument. Just because someone's terrible at their job, doesn't mean he isn't actually doing that job.

Here's angry Joe, Youtuber and not an actual journalist, doing a decent interview by the way:

potatojohn

Arcane
Even a blogger should know that you can't be detained for taking photos. The only thing they can do is ask you to leave.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Angry joe may suffer from amateurish interview skills but I take honesty to Doritos professional any day of the week.

Gurkog

Erudite
Besides, Joe loves board games and the original XCOM over the the new one, so at least he can recognize that new glossy turds aren't better just because of sexy audio/video.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
* Sony and Microsoft are shit.
* Nintendo loves fun.
* Booth babes are nice.
* They actually are quite nice.

I also subscribe to Yahtzee's E3 coverage. "Xbox made a fool out of itself so PS4 won by default, not because it was a better console."

Also godfuckingdammit I still can't get over Dead Rising 3. How the fuck can you be allowed to fuck up so badly? I'm pretty sure somebody is going to have to die before I can move on with my life. It had better be a lengthy tutorial level that ends with New Guy dying horribly in the air strike and real protagonist Frank West riding shotgun in the helicopter or something and then they land on the roof of a mall and the real game begins. It had better. IT HAD BETTER.

Gurkog

Erudite
Lies everything is better as an edgy, grimdark, brown cover-shooter. I am waiting for Call of Bejewled to be announced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom