Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime E3 2013 June 10-13th

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

msxyz

Augur
I was about to open a new thread on how the awesome button suddenly became so last gen, but it seems the news found its way into this thread as well.

How can the gaming industry sink so low? Are they going to cather to the people with Parkinson desease and those in deep coma?

Ryse - so awesum that it plays by itself even if you don't want to (or can't).

Stabwound

Arcane
Holy shit. There is going to be a time when games reach a point where they are literally interactive movies. Jesus H. Christ.

Keshik

Arcane
Such a feedback loop with developers assuming players are lazy idiots and the players becoming that.

Dexter

Arcane
Ryse is an XBone exclusive, right? Wonder what CryTek are going to blame its failure on, in the complete absence of piracy.
Afaik the combat is more Action-y like God of War or similar and the button-presses are only for optional "special finishers", but apparently Microsoft wanted to show off more "Cinematic action", so they set the HP of the enemies low for 1-shot kills.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Such a feedback loop with developers assuming players are lazy idiots and the players becoming that.
Or maybe, devs get too old for this shit and assume everyone is like them. Its a fad lately.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The idea behind this design decision, claims Crytek, is that players coming home from a hard day’s work don’t want to deal with the pressures and stress of playing perfectly.

... maybe just watch TV or a movie then and press a button on your remote... might be cheaper and quicker to make one of those instead... just saying... :roll:

Seriously, just when I thought AAA game makers couldn't get any MORE stupid, this stuff comes out.

grdja

Augur
Has Crytek reached rock bottom? Is it time for Kebab to be removed from great city of Frankfurt?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ryse is an XBone exclusive, right? Wonder what CryTek are going to blame its failure on, in the complete absence of piracy.

Their tears are going to be glorious.
Nothing, compared to the tears of the thousands who will try to resell the game once they discover it's a complete turd :smug:

Yep. The great thing about the upcoming Battle of Consolegeddon is that no matter who loses, we win. :smug:

Dexter

Arcane
Yep. The great thing about the upcoming Battle of Consolegeddon is that no matter who loses, we win. :smug:
xa6gjz9c6bhr.png

Unfortunately more often than not, if some sort of shit gets generally accepted on one platform it's going to spillover into others too.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Has Crytek reached rock bottom? Is it time for Kebab to be removed from great city of Frankfurt?

It's the curse that has befallen all tech-focused companies. Same with Epic and idSoft. They once made decent games in their earlier days, then they decided to create middle-ware engines and put all the focus into this and then sort of pushed themselves into this corner. Scared shitless to make a game that doesn't look better than the competition, and what better way to prove their engine business being viable than taking onto Hollywood directly?

Crytek can go eat shit.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/why-ryse-is-the-most-frustrating-game-of-e3/
I’m on the battlefield. I’m stomping through the corpses of my comrades swinging my sword at anything that moves. I begin a combo, I slash twice and then whooom slow motion is initiated, shit is about to get ‘cinematic’. A button prompt hovers elusively above the sword I’m about to drive into the throat of my enemy… argh I’m too slow! The prompt flickers, disappears.​

I missed it. Damn.​

But then somehow, for some reason, I still complete the cinematic ‘kill’.​

What?​

Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.​

What is going on here?​

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.​

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.

:nocountryforshitposters:
They did it, they finally did it. They actually managed to make the game without gameplay everyone was always joking about.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/why-ryse-is-the-most-frustrating-game-of-e3/

I’m on the battlefield. I’m stomping through the corpses of my comrades swinging my sword at anything that moves. I begin a combo, I slash twice and then whooom slow motion is initiated, shit is about to get ‘cinematic’. A button prompt hovers elusively above the sword I’m about to drive into the throat of my enemy… argh I’m too slow! The prompt flickers, disappears.

I missed it. Damn.

But then somehow, for some reason, I still complete the cinematic ‘kill’.

What?

Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.

What is going on here?

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.

:nocountryforshitposters:
QTE without the quick time. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom