Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA: Do not talk about DRM or else

Fez

Erudite

Talk about DRM and you will be banned and your game license deactivated - forcing you to buy another copy if you wish to continue to play.

Great solution to the problem EA! Couple that with the ridiculous censorship and you've got something that makes the Bethstapo look good. That and their generous move to increase the activation limit should keep everyone happy. They really are masters of public relations, generating goodwill across the globe.

Data4

Arcane
Do you have to be a registered game owner to post in that forum?

EDIT: Nvm, I just saw you do. This is the kind of shit that needs to be spread all over the tubes. Can anyone say Footbullet?

Shannow

Waster of Time
You can take our Spores, but you cannot take our: FREEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOM :melgibson:

Ah, well. Thankfully Spore didn't turn out too good anyway. I wasn't exactly enthused to "buy" something from EA. Now I can boycott them in the future because I know that I wouldn't be buying but renting. And if I didn't like that and said so, well I wouldn't be renting but being robbed. And now explain to your kids that piracy is immoral :roll:

lefthandblack

Arcane
*screencaps for future reference*

Fuck Spore and fuck EA.

Goddamnit. Bioshock/ME/Spore DRM buttrape.

YAYY KOTOR III.....is a fucking MMO?

TWEE buggy, too big for me to download and doesn't add enough to justify buying the game again.

Stardock: HAI GUIS! Do you feel the IMPULSE to patch your game today?
If so, just jump through these FREE, EASY HOOPS! Mind the fire! It's hot.

Will someone please kill pc gaming already so that someone smarter can start the rebuilding process?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's being worked on already, one nothing removed from inventory at a time

Micmu

Magister
Hahaha, the power of new DRM. They can actually deactivate your license if you misbehave....

Now go, sheeple, buy more EA games!

Edit: you flame me or discuss my post in any way, I'll deactivate your Solitaire license and you'll have to buy a new copy.

Monocause

Arcane
I actually hope they'll continue that way. If they'll have any quality releases (which I doubt) it'll be available by P2P, and maybe they'll get people fed up enough so that all sensible developers will avoid such practices like fire.

EDIT: Couple of people mentioned here and elsewhere on the net that their license with Spore may be violating some US consumer rights. Anyone willing to post the appropriate articles? I'd like to write them a hoax email that a lawsuit is headed their way, just to see if and how they'd respond. Might be good lulz.

Suchy

Arcane
I wasn't even remotely interested in Spore. But I kind of feel the urge to torrent it and seed for a couple of weeks now. Then delete without installing.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
US not likely. Italy on the other hand...

Suchy said:
Then delete without installing.
Better intall it lot of times. Each time you install pirated copy EA loose money, don't you know?

Fez

Erudite
People disputing or commenting on the legality of the licensing or the EULA terms have had their threads and comments deleted without any notice or reason from the staff there.

People managed to find more parts for the cell editor (four pages of them or something) and the plant editor in there. These were all deleted without comment from the staff too. Perhaps they were planning on selling these things later on in an expansion (that Will and co. have already been talking about) and don't want modders undermining their sales?

EA have taken a bit steaming dump onto the chest of their customers with this behaviour. This is too much for me. I don't need their games to survive and I don't need to put up with their shit. Sadly I suspect that only a minority fraction of gamers will be put off enough to stop buying their games.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Jedi_Learner said:
What is it with you being confused all the time? Since you obviously seem to be having difficulty grasping the obvious, let me bold the next sentence for you and increase the font size. If you don't like the price or the copy protection, don't buy the fucking game. Nobody is forcing you to buy Mass Effect. Stop being such a whiny bitch skyway.
I take it back! Any game that limits how many times you can install a game deserves to be pirated.

Mareus

Magister
I actually don't see such a big problem here. The obvious solution is to pirate the game and seed. That way you will not support any game that comes with DRM on it.

Monocause

Arcane
Mareus said:
I actually don't see such a big problem here. The obvious solution is to pirate the game and seed. That way you will not support any game that comes with DRM on it.

If you don't have money, the obvious solution would be to steal it. However, I think it's preferable to be able to earn it without being ripped off.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Hm that's strange, EA seems to have forgotten compeletely about their biggest competitor, BitTorrent.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Mareus said:
I refuse to even do this, this crap must disappear.

Lothers

Scholar
CD Projekt, the publisher behind The Witcher, reckons that many other large publishers are too scared to stop using DRM and that the only real way to stop piracy is to offer greater value retail products.

It's obviously the route that CD Projekt prefers as the company has just re-released it's game The Witcher with a new enhanced addition. The new release includes extra missions, a game editor, two CD soundtracks, a short story based on the game and a full strategy guide for the title. The company has also recently launched GOG, a web portal which is to be used for distributing classic PC games such as Fallout.

"We're trying to convince publishers there is nothing to be afraid of," said company CEO Michal Kicinski to GamesIndustry.biz.

"DRM-free, that is something they are really scared of, but on the other hand we can say 'all of those games are available pirated widely so it's better to sell them for small money than make the customer's life difficult and get some more revenues'."

Specifically Kicinski is directing his comments to EA, who have recieved a huge backlash from the community for the use of DRM in games such as Spore.

"It's the same with buying music online with DRM, Amazon has decided not to provide it with DRM, iTunes is doing this iTunes plus. DRM makes customer's lives too complicated, and this is usually because of some corporate ideas, policies and trying to be smart, too smart, in how to get customers and how to keep them and no let them go somewhere else. We are believers in the free market and bringing freedom to customers."

"Piracy in Poland is always much, much bigger here than in Western countries so we got used to living with piracy and we grew up in a surrounding where there was no help from governments to actually fight piracy," he said. "So we had to learn to compete with pirates"

"For example we believe that GOG.com makes such a good offer that it's not worth pirating... We attract people to buy the original games instead of pirating them and that's the most efficient way of fighting piracy."

Spotted on bit-tech.net News Section.

Maybe someone copy-paste this on EA forums?

Fez

Erudite
The Witcher patch requires it to authenticate to their servers. Hardly the ones to claim they don't have DRM when they put it in their patches.

Data4

Arcane
I made the mistake of posting a thread on the Gamespot Spore forum. What a bunch of dumbfucks.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/spo ... 714&page=0

I'd hoped to stir the pot, but as evidenced by the fuckwit who posted the first message on the second page, it doesn't look like many people will give a shit. Got a Gamespot account? Join in. School these dumbasses.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Oh how the FUCK can they pull this off without anyone noticing? Seriously.

Also, isn't the Italian law on this matter pretty much the same across EU? And is it actually in violation of EULA as well?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom