Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA: Do not talk about DRM or else

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Fez said:
The Witcher patch requires it to authenticate to their servers. Hardly the ones to claim they don't have DRM when they put it in their patches.

However, you didn't need to authenticate/register anything to play the game originally. If you'd never bought vanilla Witcher and gotten the EE today, you'd likewise never need to authenticate/register your game. The EE's not essential; it's just extra content, and I'd say it's fair enough that they want to ascertain you actually purchased their product first before giving you access to said content for free.

And I say this as someone who physically removes nothing from the inventory on a regular basis. Curiously enough, the EE patch also removes the CD check.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fez said:
The Witcher patch requires it to authenticate to their servers. Hardly the ones to claim they don't have DRM when they put it in their patches.
One thing is one-time check to install patch. You have to be online ONLY when this cheking is done. Also it warns you about checking if you registered and asks you to type your account and password on witcher forums. That's the best drm i have seen.
And I read on witcher forums that you may register your game on any number of computers. So, CDP really has right to say what thay did

CD Projekt, the publisher behind The Witcher, reckons that many other large publishers are too scared to stop using DRM and that the only real way to stop piracy is to offer greater value retail products.

It's obviously the route that CD Projekt prefers as the company has just re-released it's game The Witcher with a new enhanced addition. The new release includes extra missions, a game editor, two CD soundtracks, a short story based on the game and a full strategy guide for the title. The company has also recently launched GOG, a web portal which is to be used for distributing classic PC games such as Fallout.

"We're trying to convince publishers there is nothing to be afraid of," said company CEO Michal Kicinski to GamesIndustry.biz.

"DRM-free, that is something they are really scared of, but on the other hand we can say 'all of those games are available pirated widely so it's better to sell them for small money than make the customer's life difficult and get some more revenues'."

Specifically Kicinski is directing his comments to EA, who have recieved a huge backlash from the community for the use of DRM in games such as Spore.

"It's the same with buying music online with DRM, Amazon has decided not to provide it with DRM, iTunes is doing this iTunes plus. DRM makes customer's lives too complicated, and this is usually because of some corporate ideas, policies and trying to be smart, too smart, in how to get customers and how to keep them and no let them go somewhere else. We are believers in the free market and bringing freedom to customers."

"Piracy in Poland is always much, much bigger here than in Western countries so we got used to living with piracy and we grew up in a surrounding where there was no help from governments to actually fight piracy," he said. "So we had to learn to compete with pirates"

"For example we believe that GOG.com makes such a good offer that it's not worth pirating... We attract people to buy the original games instead of pirating them and that's the most efficient way of fighting piracy."

Also, they removed cd-check in enhanced edition.

edit: Lesifoere did me.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I always wonder, who the fuck decide if the game must DRMed or not? If I'm the developer I would surely not waste time and money and manwork on something which will only hurt customers, adds nothing to the gameplay (many times even screwing it), and definetly doesn't stop piracy at all. I suppose the publisher has the biggest say in here?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I hate to say it, but EA basically has a right to do that. It's their game, and you are their licensee. Anything related to their product is on their terms.

That said, it's pretty asinine to shut down consumer complaints than actually deal with them. Shoot yourself in your own foot.

Bioware's way of dealing with DRM matters is to shuffle them all into one thread, meaning that every person's problem will be bundled under a mass of other people's problems. Some people had their compters messed up because of Mass Effect protection, and I find it extremely cruel that mods' only response is to close the topic and tell them to keep it to the DRM thread.

Thank goodness I did not buy Mass Effect, and thank goodness I will never buy another Bioware game again. This is a really bad way of dealing with customer complaints, and I don't want to do any business with such people.

deshields538

Scholar
Fucking hell. But then I'm not really surprised, EA have never really given a shit when it comes to giving technical support to their customers. As long as they get your money, they are happy to just let you rot.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Wyrmlord said:
I hate to say it, but EA basically has a right to do that. It's their game, and you are their licensee. Anything related to their product is on their terms.

But you are also their goddamn customer, and you have the friggin right to demand satisfaction.

Warden

Arbiter
Fez said:
Talk about DRM (and in the case of Biowhore - politics, religion, social issues, birth control and BAD topics such as "I don't like Mass Effect" etc.) and you will be banned (or moved to a thread with 1000 pages even though there's a 10 pages limit rule for all other topics)
Fixed a bit.

See.. EA swallowing Biowhore was such a fruitful deal. Biowhore learned from EA awesome new copy protection mechanisms and EA learned from Biowhore awesome new forum control methods.

abstract

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:

no, they don't. national/eu customer laws supersede licences.

DemonKing

Arcane
Warden said:
See.. EA swallowing Biowhore was such a fruitful deal. Biowhore learned from EA awesome new copy protection mechanisms and EA learned from Biowhore awesome new forum control methods.

I must admit I hate how Bio moderate their forums...the number of times you ask a simple question that could be answered in 2 seconds and some mod closes the thread and tells you to use the search engine because it's already been answered is infuriating...

1. If it takes less effort to answer a question than to type a message telling someone to use the search engine, why not just answer the question?
2. The search engine sucks, is slow as hell and almost impossible to get a straight answer out of...that's why we don't use it...

Mind you, EA is really going places with their new strategy...customers always respond well when you threaten to take their product away when they complain about it. This latest idiocy will be plastered all of the internet shortly winning EA even more friends than before...

aron searle

Arcane
abstract said:
Wyrmlord said:

They have the money and the lawyers to give EU laws the middle finger, that is the reality of the matter.

Darth Roxor said:
Wyrmlord said:

But you are also their goddamn customer, and you have the friggin right to demand satisfaction.

And they have the right to refuse you're request's, they sell a product, they do not Guarantee satisfaction.

You then have the right to stop buying their products, but people still buy their products, ergo, they can and will screw you over, and you fucking deserve it if you keep buying from them.

That's right, anyone who buy's an EA game deserves to be screwed over.

Shannow

Waster of Time
aron searle said:
abstract said:
Wyrmlord said:

They have the money and the lawyers to give EU laws the middle finger, that is the reality of the matter.
Microsoft has more money and more lawyers. So much money in fact that they rather paid 1.68 billion Euro in fines than sell a product that is conform with EU law.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft# ... chen_Union

If that is your idea of giving middle fingers, well, go on then :)

serch

Magister
aron searle said:

No, they don't. I should know ;) It's only that nobody has sued them until now. Consumers who got fucked by DRM just download a crack or pirate the whole thing. Activists, at least in Spain, are centering their rage against the "canon" at the moment.

aron searle

Arcane
Their Eula states they sell a licence, and so they treat it appropriatly.

You are fucking delusional if you think they will ever be taken to court over this matter, and even on the slim chance they are, do you honestly think they will lose?

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
I mean, this is obviously a dumb move from the perspective of a business model, but you have to think about the Juggernaut that is EA. Only a relatively small percentage of their total consumer base will complain about the problem, so they can afford the losses.

Man though. These guys are dicks.

Data4

Arcane
Ion Flux said:
I mean, this is obviously a dumb move from the perspective of a business model, but you have to think about the Juggernaut that is EA. Only a relatively small percentage of their total consumer base will complain about the problem, so they can afford the losses.

Man though. These guys are dicks.

A small percentage, perhaps, but it's a very vocal and savvy percentage. The majority they rely on probably have no idea what Securerom is, or even DRM for that matter. They're also the type that have a taskbar full of resource-sucking resident memory programs like Bonzo Buddy and can't be bothered to learn how their prebuilt HP computer they got from Wal-Mart works.

HardCode

Erudite
Fuck EA. I've never bought another one of their games after the Battlefield 1942 fucking they gave their customers. Let them go the Lehman Brothers and AIG route, without a gov't bailout.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Wyrmlord said:

EA has the right to do it, but it's a completely stupid policy. Buy our games, but if you piss us off, we'll turn the game off and keep the money. WTF!

It's crazy to make a policy like this. You're basically telling people they're better off pirating the games they make just because they can turn off your game at any time for the mundanest of reasons because of the protection scheme. It's just plain stupid for the company to point this out on a forum.

Warden

Arbiter
Yep, as I imagined.. it can't possibly be any worse than on the biowhore "forums"*.

*Actually, I don't know how to call it.. since a forum is meant for sharing opinions (positive or negative) about various topics. And the biowhore "forums" fail at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom