Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA working hard to relieve you of your hard earned monies

Ermm

Erudite
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02...-future-games?abthid=512e365f09502cc80f000015

Monetizing at the max.

ZNOkpSg.png

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Well, no monies fo dem :smug:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What's next?
Paying by the minute to play their games? I'm sure there are enough properly conditioned consumer drones that it will be possible.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I have the impression that EA don't have a clue about what they are doing, they waste too much time discussing in how to milk consumers and not enough time making better games even the console/casual gamers are getting unconfortable with the shit EA is releasing lately. EA forgot that to milk consumers you need them first to buy their shit games.

Dexter

Arcane
What's next?
Paying by the minute to play their games? I'm sure there are enough properly conditioned consumer drones that it will be possible.
If they let Sony and/or Microsoft establish "Cloud Gaming" that is exactly what is going to happen. Paying by the hour, paying for a certain amount of lives like in the Arcade days, in-between playing commercials.
Paying to unlock game features, paying to unlock graphics features. Put it simply, they can properly fuck everyone more and more gradually and they would likely lap it up because "new console" and because "oh my, it's so easy, just pick up and play".

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like this move. It's just one less reason to buy an EA game. Let's see how price sensitive I am then Mr Riccitiello.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What's next?

A nice idea. Almost. Now if only you could find a way to streamline the business model to avoid having to make those "game" things you could reduce overheads significantly. You'd probably get a nice job offer from EA.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
What's next?

A nice idea. Almost. Now if only you could find a way to streamline the business model to avoid having to make those "game" things you could reduce overheads significantly.

iBilwGcTakGw.jpg

"Excellent idea. You'll be promoted to Chief Profit-Efficiency Strategist Officer!"

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I wonder just how bad EA's position is that they're trying shit like this now? I mean, their stock prices are in the shitter, they got delisted from the NASDAQ index, their $500 million MMO is a failure, they got voted worst company in America last year, at least two major titles flopped last year (Amalur and MoH Warfighter), they expect sales figures of $5 million for games like DS3 (which they missed) and they're laying off people left, right and centre.

It would be interesting to know just what EA's financial position is like at the moment, because I kinda get this feeling it's not too good and I'm willing to bet their investors aren't very happy.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The question is what will the dying monster drag down with itself in its dying throes. Which of your favourite franchises will get raped MONETIZED in a desperate attempt to cling to a life fast failing. And when the behemoth's carcass finally hits the ground what unspeakable evils will crawl from it's rotten insides.

Tytus

Arcane
I have the impression that EA don't have a clue about what they are doing, they waste too much time discussing in how to milk consumers and not enough time making better games even the console/casual gamers are getting unconfortable with the shit EA is releasing lately. EA forgot that to milk consumers you need them first to buy their shit games.

EA doesn't know how to make good games. If they did, they wouldn't bitch about the economy being the main reason people aren't buying their games. And guess what, they are right. If people had more money, they would buy more games and not only good ones but medicore ones too. And like I said EA doesn't know how to make good ones. So they're stuck trying to increase their income by implementing business plans that may work pretty well at different forms of business, but are destined to fail in the gaming industry. And that is what EA doesn't understand. It treats gaming industry as any other business model, not taking into consideration the nuances of it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As if publishers needed to tell me in an even stronger way that my time with their games is coming to an end.

Telengard

Arcane
Some one copy the article so my :obviously: computer won't be tainted by IGN. Thank You.

Electronic Arts Building Microtransactions Into All Future Games

"We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way."
by Luke Karmali
February 27, 2013

EA is planning to have microtransactions in all of its future games, according to the company's chief financial officer.

Speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference (via Develop), Blake Jorgensen claimed that the decision was made as a result of users "embracing" the controversial model.
“We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business.
"We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level," he explained.
"And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."
Aside from the reaction this may elicit from gamers, there's the added issue of infrastructure that EA has had to consider. Jorgensen went on to explain that the company is now planning to bring all the processes surrounding payments and card-handling in-house to try and increase security.
"If you're doing microtransactions and you're processing credit cards for every one of those microtransactions you'll get eaten alive.
"And so Rajat's team has built an amazing backend to manage that and manage that much more profitably. We've outsourced a lot of that stuff historically; we're bringing that all in-house now."
Given the recent decisions regarding Dead Space 3's weapon crafting system, it's hardly surprising to discover the company is rolling this out into all its products. IGN reached out to EA, but the company declined to comment.
What do you reckon? Are you fine with the addition of microtransactions and accept that it's up to individuals whether they use them or not, or do you object to them in principle? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Dead Space 3 Includes Microtransactions to Improve Weapons

"You can buy resources with real money, but scavenger bots can also give you the currency."
by Luke Karmali
January 22, 2013

Dead Space 3 will offer microtransactions as part of its weapon crafting system, the game's producer has confirmed.
As originally spotted by Eurogamer, trying to create a weapon you don't have enough resources for causes the below screen to pop up, which offers you the ability to get some additional parts through "downloadable content".
The resources needed to craft weapons can be found in a number of ways: you can pick them up yourself, send out scavenger bots to forage for them or, apparently, conveniently buy them from the in-game store.
The game's associate producer Yara Khoury told the site that "You can buy resources with real money, but scavenger bots can also give you the currency that you can use on the marketplace. So you don't have to spend [real world] dollars."

She also refuted the suggestion that you'd be able to buy all the game's best weapons right out of the blocks, making missions a breeze. "No you can't!" she explained. "There are a lot of weapon parts that are only available to buy later in the game. Unless you're playing through it again [on New Game Plus]."
Pricing for the extra resources hasn't been revealed, but Khoury explained that different sized packs will be available for varying costs.
While this is the first game in the series to feature microtransactions, EA has published other titles that use the system. The most prominent of these is last year's Mass Effect 3, which allowed you buy reinforcement packs when playing the game's multiplayer modes.

deuxhero

Arcane
Boy is watching EA crash and burn going to be fun. Sadly Activison is merely not making as much money as previously instead of the downward spiral EA is on.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
What's next?
They would have to create games that are actually longer than a few hours. I doubt it's possible.

Xavier0889

Learned
What's next?
They would have to create games that are actually longer than a few hours. I doubt it's possible.

But instead of creating one long game, they'll create thousands of short games. Let's remember that today's fad are "casual" and "mobile" games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Remember to keep perspective people. The ones to be mad at are the idiot consumers supporting this bullshit. This dude's job is to suck consumers dry of as much money as possible. Idiots paying for XP boosts in Dragon Age 3 are the ones letting him do it.

Tytus

Arcane
What's next?

I got better idea. Let's limit the times you can save while playing. After saving 5 times you have to buy a little add-on that gives you 5 saves more. BUT WAIT If you spend only 1 dolar more you'll get 15 saves! So there's not point in buying the 5 save package. Only a moron would buy that, right guys? :takemymoney:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom