Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Each-screen-is-a-challenge games?

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

Deleted member 11480

Eh I'm not so sure I'm explaining this correctly but I'm talking about games without a scrolling screen and where each of the screens at least has the potential to be a big challenge to be crossed. Things like Out of This World, Flashback, the first two Oddworld games... but it doesn't necessarily need to be a platformer, Smash TV and other different games also count.

Why the interest in such specific aspect? Well, I don't even know why but usually I like these games, potentially more than side scrollers or games where you don't progress through different screens. To discover a new Oddworld-like game now would be awesome too.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Light crusader for the genesis. Puzzle game mostly, the puzzles depending on a few platforming jumps sometimes.

Kirtai

Augur
Do you mean flip screen games? Many of the 8 bit computer games were like that. e.g. Manic Miner, Head over Heels. The Ultimate games (Sabre Wulf, Underwurld et al) may also qualify.

Kirtai

Augur
Hrmn, I'm sure I've played a few games like that a long time ago but damned if I can think of any names. Now I'll be wondering all day. I used to really like them. IIRC they were most common in the 8bit/16bit days.

Though you've bumped the Oddworld games up my to-play list.

El Presidente

Arcane
I knew I made this thread in the past, here it is! :-D Made in all its glory by the very prestigious "Deleted Member 11480" :negative:

I was about to make pretty much this same thread but I had a feeling I already asked this before. Man there's something really pleasant and comfy about games where you can see the entire level on a single screen, or at least you go from screen to screen and each one is packed with its own sets of traps and enemies. I got into the old Jetpack again these days:

Also reminded me of this one:

Which is a pretty solid game, could've been a bit better perhaps but it's really fun.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Bomberman
Carrion
Lemmings
NongĂĽnz
Rain World
Rick Dangerous
Super Meat Boy
World of Goo

Not sure if any of these fit your criteria though tbh. :/

Machocruz

Arcane
Adventures of Lolo
Green 5
The Immortal - has both scrolling and single screen challenges, usually involving death traps.
Shadowgate
Die Hard Arcade
Alien + Devil's Crush

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Eh I'm not so sure I'm explaining this correctly but I'm talking about games without a scrolling screen and where each of the screens at least has the potential to be a big challenge to be crossed. Things like Out of This World, Flashback, the first two Oddworld games... but it doesn't necessarily need to be a platformer, Smash TV and other different games also count.

Why the interest in such specific aspect? Well, I don't even know why but usually I like these games, potentially more than side scrollers or games where you don't progress through different screens. To discover a new Oddworld-like game now would be awesome too.

Heart of Darkness brother

also Comic Zone but its a beat em up

Ezekiel

Arcane
It's not a screen, it's a scene.

controls.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
An old C64/ZX/CPC game called Strangeloop fits this mold, but it's kind of boring to play. Fits the whole puzzle vibe perfectly though.
Monuments of Mars from the guy who would make Duke Nukem was very interesting for a CGA DOS game. Fits what you want to a T, though the controls might be a bit too janky. Apogee had a few of these, I think the Kroz games and one other title fit.
ZZT from Epic, which basically took Doom's "let everyone make weird mods for it" approach earlier and to a simpler engine. Has two expansions, one that comes with the base game by default and a Best of which includes the best mods that were released in 1992.
God of Thunder, starts off as more of a quasi-Zelda game, turns into one of these later on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom