Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Economics and Banking

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I asked this question the day before, but it got DELETED so I'll ask it again. How is economics in the game handled? Is it all same prices everywhere you go? Or do prices and goods vary from town to town? Also, say something is expensive in one town, but so rare in the big city that it's never been seen used before except by the nobility. (Not artifacts mind you, just regular stuff or whatever). Does this mean that the price for said item would be more than what the player paid for it in that city?

Also with regards to banking: Is there a fee for depositing your cash in the bank? Is it like a safety deposit box where there's no growth and you just store your stuff? Or is it like a bank account, where you put your money, and it grows a percentage as they loan it out to people, but this means that you can't get it all back right away or something (like in a real bank), and the more you put in, the higher percentage you get paid, etc. etc. Also, can you yourself become a banker or a loan shark? Can you make loans to people if you become a money lender or something?

I'll save the other questions for a yes or no on that.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Major_Blackhart said:
I asked this question the day before, but it got DELETED so I'll ask it again. How is economics in the game handled? Is it all same prices everywhere you go? Or do prices and goods vary from town to town? Also, say something is expensive in one town, but so rare in the big city that it's never been seen used before except by the nobility. (Not artifacts mind you, just regular stuff or whatever). Does this mean that the price for said item would be more than what the player paid for it in that city?
No. The trading aspect is very basic, so all base prices are the same. Your trading skill modifies the final buying or selling price. Your actions can increase/decrease some prices though. For example, there is a mine and you can either flood the market with cheap ore or make it very rare.

Also with regards to banking: Is there a fee for depositing your cash in the bank? Is it like a safety deposit box where there's no growth and you just store your stuff? Or is it like a bank account, where you put your money, and it grows a percentage as they loan it out to people, but this means that you can't get it all back right away or something (like in a real bank), and the more you put in, the higher percentage you get paid, etc. etc. Also, can you yourself become a banker or a loan shark? Can you make loans to people if you become a money lender or something?
No to all questions.

Severian Silk

Vault Dweller said:
For example, there is a mine and you can either flood the market with cheap ore or make it very rare.
SPOILERZ!!!!!! How could you?!

Hory

Erudite
Can you buy a lot of ore when the mine is functioning, blow up the mine, then sell your ore expensively? That would be an awesome action for an "evil" character.

Morbus

Scholar
The key action there would be to blow the mine up... If it is possible, then it should be possible to do as you say. But it's not evil, unless you blow the miners up along with the mine :P

Hory

Erudite
Morbus said:
The key action there would be to blow the mine up... If it is possible, then it should be possible to do as you say. But it's not evil, unless you blow the miners up along with the mine :P
Depriving people of a natural good for your benefit isn't? Oh wait, it's called capitalism :).

Cassidy

Arcane
Once your PC becomes sufficiently wealthy, I think he could simply use his economical power to provoke an economic crisis that will benefit his interests by controlling the supply or demand of critical products. That would be interesting for the "evil" types.

Hory said:
Morbus said:
Depriving people of a natural good for your benefit isn't? Oh wait, it's called capitalism :).

No, a true capitalist would <s>enslave</s>hire underpaid people to work at those mines 24hrs/day in really bad conditions instead of wasting such opportunity.

And considering the banks, here is a specific: can my PC make loans? If so, will there be drastic consequences if he doesn't pay their interest?

somnium

Scholar
Elhoim said:
Having the commercium hand out loans and send mercenaries if you don't pay sounds like an interesting idea, IMHO.
It seem to me that you could easily exploit that if you are (a lot) stronger then the mercenary's. By borrowing lots of money and then selling the equipment of the mercenary's that come after you.

Morbus

Scholar
Hory said:
Morbus said:
Now you're paying attention ;)

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you don't blow up the miners with the mine what's to stop them from digging it up and starting again. Gotta nip it in the bud

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hory said:
Can you buy a lot of ore when the mine is functioning, blow up the mine, then sell your ore expensively? That would be an awesome action for an "evil" character.
Yes, you can buy, mine (using Crafting skill) ore, and the ensure that the price goes up. You don't blow it up, it's a question of who controls the mine.

axedice

Cipher
Don't think so, maybe an artifact throwing machine like Elhoim promised :p

My question was also deleted in the flame warz, so here i go again. Can you dispatch important npcs and replace them? As in killing some commercium agents (or having the boatmen kill them for you) and earn all the profit they would have made trading? It would be cool to use the trading skill other than just modifying costs, like buying or selling goods. That raiders who started working for you after you killed their leader.. Why not bring them in town and form your own mafia rather than assaulting the town? With the right social skills, you can become a hell of a businessman. Actually my question is, can you effect the game world's economy similar to what I've described above?

Cassidy

Arcane
I think that in Fallout, if you get a loan in the Hub and don't pay, people will start looking for you, but I never tried that because It's much easier to just kill Lorenzo and loot his bottle caps, so I'm no sure about it. I really think it's a good idea as long as the amount of loans you can make is limited while the amount of enemies you can make by dishonoring payments aren't so limited.

Vault Dweller

Developer
axedice said:
Can you dispatch important npcs and replace them? As in killing some commercium agents (or having the boatmen kill them for you) and earn all the profit they would have made trading? It would be cool to use the trading skill other than just modifying costs, like buying or selling goods. That raiders who started working for you after you killed their leader.. Why not bring them in town and form your own mafia rather than assaulting the town? With the right social skills, you can become a hell of a businessman. Actually my question is, can you effect the game world's economy similar to what I've described above?
No. Too complicated to design properly (considering the nature of the game). If it was a sandbox game, then we would have definitely done something like that. Making a game that does everything is the best way to fail.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Elhoim said:
I think that one of those lances from Stargate would fit the style of the game better.

Sure, the Roman era was pretty gay after all...

A more complicated economic system would be great, but it's not exactly a deal breaker for me, this sounds fine.

John Yossarian

Magister
@VD; Can you tell us (or link) what you have right now? Or I'll just skip the sure "Proof?" and ask some dumb questions. Maybe galsiah will turn up if we keep it going long enough.

Can factions obtain complete control of a resource, and would it make a difference (if yes to 1 and no to 2, could it be made to make a difference at this point in development?)? Can resources get depleted? Is loot made (instead of just being there on people)? Is there continuous, trade between towns, other than the quest related ones (I don't mean actual caravans and shit ala M&B, just some abstracted version of it)?

You could also tell us if you have something in mind, since you have a better idea of time constraints and such. Then we might be able to suggest less ambitious stuff.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, for starters you could have some price variation. Let's say for instance one town is famous for crossbows, or there's a mining town.
Crossbows and ore respectively could be cheaper in those locations.
Of course, you might only be able to buy these goods in certain locations in the first place, but it would be more convenient if they are available anywhere, just more expensive.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
That would be nice for realism, but I don't think it would be fun to be travelling back and forth to get a discount... Unless the price variation is REALLY worth the hassle.

Also different factions could use different base prices for items that are in their trade. For example, the Assassin Guild supplier could have lower base prices on crossbows, daggers and light armors, but higher base prices on heavy armor and big weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom