Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ed Greenwood started a YT channel

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
https://youtube.com/@edgreenwoodofficial

I know many here don't like him because of certain sexual aspects of the FR but I've always found him interesting and personally enjoy Dnd/FR lore. His vids are entertaining to me but they're also basically advertisements for his Patreon.

Alex

Arcane
I don't have anything against 2e FR. It is far from my favourite setting, but if someone was running a good adventure there, I would certainly join.

I think it is kinda silly they've changed the setting again and again as the rules changed though. If this had happened only once, I don't think it would be that much of a problem, but we've had three other iterations of rules sets from 2e to now, and I really don't care at all to figure out how the setting managed this.

As for the creator himself, I've heard he is a weird dude, but that is not necessarily bad...

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't have anything against 2e FR. It is far from my favourite setting, but if someone was running a good adventure there, I would certainly join.

I think it is kinda silly they've changed the setting again and again as the rules changed though. If this had happened only once, I don't think it would be that much of a problem, but we've had three other iterations of rules sets from 2e to now, and I really don't care at all to figure out how the setting managed this.

As for the creator himself, I've heard he is a weird dude, but that is not necessarily bad...
Well, he included pedophilia, incest, homosexuality and transsexuals in FR and it's all canon because his deal with wotc is that whatever he writes in his books is automatically canon for the setting.

As far as FR changing with newer editions, yeah that's part of the deal also where he lets them change things around as dnd has changed and his involvement in these changes I believe is minimal if any at all.

Alex

Arcane

Well, he included pedophilia, incest, homosexuality and transsexuals in FR and it's all canon because his deal with wotc is that whatever he writes in his books is automatically canon for the setting.
(...)

That is pretty bad... I remember FR mostly as what gave us the Waterdeep supplement and that Elminster's Ecologies boxed set.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I know many here don't like him because of certain sexual aspects of the FR but I've always found him interesting and personally enjoy Dnd/FR lore. His vids are entertaining to me but they're also basically advertisements for his Patreon.
I heard he has an absolutely profitable contract with Wizards of the Coast that would make even a Ferengi cry tears of joy.
Is this true?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

I heard he has an absolutely profitable contract with Wizards of the Coast that would make even a Ferengi cry tears of joy.
Is this true?

My understanding is he sold forgotten realms for 5k to TSR in 1986 and the stipulation they would publish atleast 1 of his novels a year. Wotc took over this agreement when they bought the rights to Dnd so it still stands today.

Also according to a recent video, whatever is written in his novels is officially canon for FR but they've ignored various aspects of the realms in different products that like the Dnd movie. They also edit his books before publication.

Ive seen no indication that he gets royalties from the sales of FR products but I'm not sure that he doesn't. Basically it's seen as a great deal for him because he will get atleast a book a year published and he writes a lot. I've never read his novels but many voracious readers of fantasy/dnd literature don't think highly of most if not all of his work. He's also been a librarian this whole time, I don't think he's retired yet.

I doubt he got rich off of all of this but I could be wrong.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Can never forget Lesifoere's raging over Eddie's FR stories. Shame her blog got taken down :lol:

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Can never forget Lesifoere's raging over Eddie's FR stories. Shame her blog got taken down :lol:

What was the rage about? The constant nudity, sexist depictions of women, etc? I've never read his work but find it interesting and funny to read the rants of those that have and disliked it.

Greenwood's responses to some of the criticism has been hilarious also. Here's one quote I enjoyed:

"Bear in mind, however, that many Realms fans delight in pouncing on me for being a dirty-minded 'pervert' (most of them, of course, not even understanding the meaning of that word) for merely showing casual nudity, kissing, caresses, and even footrubs in my fiction... things many Canadians (and, from my conversations with them, more than a few Americans) who went to summer camp in their teens accepted as normal in such settings."

I mean, unless the camp counselors were doing that stuff to the kids, maybe he's got a point? I don't think he gets really graphic but the fact that so much sexuality is baked into the setting is off-putting. Also when he comes up with a monster, he makes sure to make it clear how they reproduce. He says he's not "sex crazy" but it's part of the world building process.

I read a lot of Tolkien and CS Lewis growing up, they never felt it necessary to insert all of these things into the worlds they built.

udm

Arcane
Patron

What was the rage about? The constant nudity, sexist depictions of women, etc?
Yeah pretty much that. I remember Lesi jumping on him for his depiction of some female assassin(?) character who wore extremely skimpily and had a jewel in her navel or something like that, among other things.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

What was the rage about? The constant nudity, sexist depictions of women, etc? I've never read his work but find it interesting and funny to read the rants of those that have and disliked it.

Greenwood's responses to some of the criticism has been hilarious also. Here's one quote I enjoyed:

"Bear in mind, however, that many Realms fans delight in pouncing on me for being a dirty-minded 'pervert' (most of them, of course, not even understanding the meaning of that word) for merely showing casual nudity, kissing, caresses, and even footrubs in my fiction... things many Canadians (and, from my conversations with them, more than a few Americans) who went to summer camp in their teens accepted as normal in such settings."

I mean, unless the camp counselors were doing that stuff to the kids, maybe he's got a point? I don't think he gets really graphic but the fact that so much sexuality is baked into the setting is off-putting. Also when he comes up with a monster, he makes sure to make it clear how they reproduce. He says he's not "sex crazy" but it's part of the world building process.

I read a lot of Tolkien and CS Lewis growing up, they never felt it necessary to insert all of these things into the worlds they built.
Tolkien was a scholar and a gentleman.
Greenwood is a horny nerd who never grew out of that teenage canadian phase.

BruceVC

Magister

Well all those things exist in RL so I dont see the issue with them being included in a fantasy game setting?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Well all those things exist in RL so I dont see the issue with them being included in a fantasy game setting?
For some people, especially the new crowd of TTRPG players, it's representation that they want and they celebrate it.

For the old school players, especially the types of guys around here, these are things they're trying to escape from when gaming. Personally, I don't think it adds anything to a game or book to include these things.

I suppose I could see including some of these things to shock the reader/player while building up a villain but again, having these things be a prominent part of a fantasy world just seems strange and off putting.

BruceVC

Magister

For some people, especially the new crowd of TTRPG players, it's representation that they want and they celebrate it.

For the old school players, especially the types of guys around here, these are things they're trying to escape from when gaming. Personally, I don't think it adds anything to a game or book to include these things.

I suppose I could see including some of these things to shock the reader/player while building up a villain but again, having these things be a prominent part of a fantasy world just seems strange and off putting.
Yes I was talking about themes in the case of incest or paedophila and they would apply to a villian. But I am not sure why these would shock people unless you live your life with your head in the sand? The standard villian in most games is a stereotype of RL turpitude and iniquity

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Yes I was talking about themes in the case of incest or paedophila and they would apply to a villian. But I am not sure why these would shock people unless you live your life with your head in the sand? The standard villian in most games is a stereotype of RL turpitude and iniquity

I'm taking it moreso from the perspective that sex or sex crimes didn't play a prominent role or were non existent in the fantasy literature/games I grew up with. So yeah, it is a bit shocking to find out what the world of Baldur's Gate was really all about.

Anyway, in Greenwood's world, those things don't just apply to villains, they're normalized for all. Nobles having sex with their children is a way to show affection, gods encourage their priests to become women for a period of time to experience life as a woman, etc.

udm

Arcane
Patron
I'm taking it moreso from the perspective that sex or sex crimes didn't play a prominent role or were non existent in the fantasy literature/games I grew up with. So yeah, it is a bit shocking to find out what the world of Baldur's Gate was really all about.
Yeah if even the hyper-degenerate cities of Hyboria didn't explicitly spell those things out, you know you should be put on a watch list when your setting is full of them.

BruceVC

Magister

Anyway, in Greenwood's world, those things don't just apply to villains, they're normalized for all. Nobles having sex with their children is a way to show affection, gods encourage their priests to become women for a period of time to experience life as a woman, etc.
Do you have an issue or were you shocked with the writings of George Martin? The GOT world has basically every deviancy you mentioned and is included in numerous themes as part of the world and actions of characters. I am reading Fire and Blood at the moment and its brilliant but its full of rape, incest and paedophilia events

The reason I ask is I am wondering if you read modern fantasy or more the older classics which dont really include these themes?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Do you have an issue or were you shocked with the writings of George Martin? The GOT world has basically every deviancy you mentioned and is included in numerous themes as part of the world and actions of characters. I am reading Fire and Blood at the moment and its brilliant but its full of rape, incest and paedophilia events
GRRM is well known for being an edgelord. Sure, his works are grimdark, but things quickly turn into "grimderp" in his books. The violence and rape marathons become almost comical, as if he is trying way too hard to make the setting as dark as possible.
Ed Greenwood likes to insert his teenage canadian fantasies into his books and it ends up being both repulsive and hilarious.

BruceVC

Magister
GRRM is well known for being an edgelord. Sure, his works are grimdark, but things quickly turn into "grimderp" in his books. The violence and rape marathons become almost comical, as if he is trying way too hard to make the setting as dark as possible.
Ed Greenwood likes to insert his teenage canadian fantasies into his books and it ends up being both repulsive and hilarious.
Who are your prefered and favorite fantasy authors? Mine are GRRM, Steven Erikson and Scott Lynch

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Who are your prefered and favorite fantasy authors? Mine are GRRM, Steven Erikson and Scott Lynch
I don't tend to read many fantasy books, as such, it's not my favorite genre (that honor goes to horror/dark fantasy).
If it's a really good fantasy novel, sure, I might read it.
GRRM is not bad, but he certainly is overrated. Tolkien is a legend for sure, C.S. Lewis is another great author.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

The reason I ask is I am wondering if you read modern fantasy or more the older classics which dont really include these themes?

I never got into George Martin but have a few close friends who were really into him so they got me to watch Game of Thrones years ago.

At any rate, I don't think the work of Martin features brothels on every corner and cross dressers, non binary and transgenders as part of the lore but maybe I'm mistaken.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom