Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - From Suikoden creators

Mauman

Learned
Also, on a related note, the intro for Suikoden 3 is my favorite jrpg intro.

scytheavatar

Scholar
I'm 100% sure I'm no longer the person I was back when I first played Suikoden I & II.

That being said, nostalgia ain't clouding my mind. With all due respect for people who worked on this, unforunately this game completely lacks any bit of charm that the originals had. There's nothing remotely remarkable about it.

Sure, the art style & music are serviceable, but the combat is unremarkable and tedious even by JRPG standards. All non-boss enemies are feeling like generic trash mobs.

Characters are completely unmemorable, story and dialogue are incredibly bland. Even the joy of building and upgrading your castle isn't there for me.

It's not a "bad" game per se, it's just a bland but somehow semi-competent JRPG that lacks a lot of QoL features. I could have forgiven the latter if the game had any redeeming quality whatsoever.

I was waiting for this game, but after 6 hours of playing it, I'm not gonna finish it. There's no reason for me to push through it.

The reality is that the Suikoden series is a lot like Final Fantasy, it relies on slick presentation and good writing to hide the fact that fundamentally the gameplay is trash. And the devs never were able to figure out how to make a robust and deep gameplay throughout all these games. Old school JRPG writing might have been amazing to you 25 years ago but you probably have grown out of it.

Jinn

Arcane
The reality is that the Suikoden series is a lot like Final Fantasy, it relies on slick presentation and good writing to hide the fact that fundamentally the gameplay is trash.
A sweepingly broad statement that is ultimately true of every Suikoden except 3, but definitely not true about all the Final Fantasies.

The hard mode and additional toggleables in this should have been a remedy to the gameplay problem. I wonder how many people who aren't satisfied used them? To be clear, I have no opinion on Eiyuden Chonicle, as I haven't played it yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom