Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Elea (completed "branching story" book project)

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CTXF64CJ

1707543847155.png

I just finished writing and publishing a book, Elea. It was a hobby project and some of you might have seen early versions of it as a pdf or website. This thread is going to briefly detail the experience of publishing it via Amazon’s KDP. The book is a fictional story that branches depending on the decisions you make at the end of each chapter, like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Its primary focus is ancient philosophy (metaphysics and morality) and it references a fair bit of history, politics, and mythology.

The good news is, the KDP process is free and relatively easy. The first step is to write the manuscript and save it as a pdf so it can be uploaded to Amazon. There’s a bit of a song and dance you’ll have to go through with the formatting, though. First, you should tell KDP how large you want your book to be (recommended is 6 x 9) and how many pages it has, then they will tell you the minimum margins you need to use. There are some very quick and easy youtube videos that tell you exactly how to adjust the margins, page size, etc, in word.

Once you save your manuscript as a pdf, double-check to make sure it looks right. From there, go upload it to KDP. Then you need to upload a cover, also in pdf format. They provide template pdf and png files relevant to your book size and style (paperback vs hardcover). It’s a very easy process to just copy and paste the cover images over the template and then upload.

Once you have uploaded the manuscript and cover to the site, you need to get an ISBN. This is essentially an internationally recognized serial number for books. Amazon can give you one for free, but it can only be used to sell the book with them. If you want to be able to publish it elsewhere, you’ll need to get your own ISBN. They’re unfortunately rather pricey; if you only buy one it’ll probably be a hundred dollars, but less if you buy in bulk. I have no idea why it costs so much, but whatever.

Once you have your pdfs uploaded and your ISBN information entered, amazon will automatically overlay the ISBN on your back cover and generate an electronic preview of the printed copy. They have an AI that scans the document and potentially throws up a bunch of errors. You must resolve the errors before you can approve it. The ones I saw involved (A) the text allegedly bleeding over the margins, and (B) the font in my pdf was not available for commercial use. Amazon also asks whether you used AI to produce the book, and it apparently does a scan to check if you’re committing fraud by ripping off someone else’s work or whatever. If you are using AI, they have some guideline on AI generation vs AI assistance, but this was not an issue in my case.

In regards to (A), this is actually a bit annoying. I set MS Word to the margins Amazon provided, but it still claimed my text was out of the margins. I think it was because of the italicized text; basically I have sections that are entirely italicized, and whenever I had a question mark at the end of a line on the left hand page, it would violate the inner margin. I had to use a more conservative margin to get it to work. In regards to (B), I used the Lato font through the whole document, and it is free for commercial use. However, the Amazon AI didn’t recognise a series of three dashes as Lato for some reason. I just deleted them and wrote it differently, whereupon the error went away.

At that point, you just click approve and set the price. The maximum is $250 per copy, and I think the minimum is whatever you need to cover printing costs. You get a 60% royalty, from which they subtract the printing cost. For a 6x9 paperback book with 306 pages, the printing fee is $4.67 per copy. I set my book to $20 a copy, so it looks like this: (20 x .6) – 4.67 = 7.33 per sale (pre-tax). Once you tell Amazon your tax info and the like, you can just click publish and enjoy the millions of dollars you’ll surely rake in. It took them a full 48 hours to approve my publication.

One last thing, there is also the option to buy a proofreading copy before mass publication. I chose to do this because I wanted to be absolutely certain that it turned out all right. It’s the final product but it has the words “Not for Resale” stamped across it. You have to wait to receive it, so this will delay publication and cost you around ten dollars (the print cost + shipping + tax). However, just imagine if you don’t do this, and then a bunch of people buy it and get some misprinted mess.

That’s my experience. I don’t know what the sale data will be like, but I’m happy to do an update if there’s interest. Money was not a primary motivation for me to write this book, but I would like to think it’s worth the price. If you do get it and enjoy reading it, please leave a review on amazon so people don’t assume that it’s a total piece of shit. If I do somehow make millions of dollars from the sales of this book, I promise to commission a statue of the codex mascot.

Link to the book:

Audio recording:

Last edited:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I’m going to buy it and then scan it so then everyone can download it for free

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Antique Greek era CYOA adventure for Codexers? I can help you with illustrations.

mJzkaj5.jpeg
I was considering taking the text from Theseus: Journey to Athens and reworking it into a choose your own adventure novel, now that I'm familiar with how to publish a book...

On the other hand, you are a character in the game. Specifically, a person everyone hates and you get sacrificed by a bunch of cultists. What are your thoughts on illustrating that scene?

:smug:

Mortmal

Arcane
Antique Greek era CYOA adventure for Codexers? I can help you with illustrations.

mJzkaj5.jpeg
I was considering taking the text from Theseus: Journey to Athens and reworking it into a choose your own adventure novel, now that I'm familiar with how to publish a book...

On the other hand, you are a character in the game. Specifically, a person everyone hates and you get sacrificed by a bunch of cultists. What are your thoughts on illustrating that scene?

:smug:
7mkOsDn.jpeg

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
How silly of me not to include a preview:

1707541991013.png

Just preparing the ebook version, should be done soon.

MarathonGuy1337

Educated

View attachment 46482

I just finished writing and publishing a book, Elea. It was a hobby project and some of you might have seen early versions of it as a pdf or website. This thread is going to briefly detail the experience of publishing it via Amazon’s KDP. The book is a fictional story that branches depending on the decisions you make at the end of each chapter, like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Its primary focus is ancient philosophy (metaphysics and morality) and it references a fair bit of history, politics, and mythology.

The good news is, the KDP process is free and relatively easy. The first step is to write the manuscript and save it as a pdf so it can be uploaded to Amazon. There’s a bit of a song and dance you’ll have to go through with the formatting, though. First, you should tell KDP how large you want your book to be (recommended is 6 x 9) and how many pages it has, then they will tell you the minimum margins you need to use. There are some very quick and easy youtube videos that tell you exactly how to adjust the margins, page size, etc, in word.

Once you save your manuscript as a pdf, double-check to make sure it looks right. From there, go upload it to KDP. Then you need to upload a cover, also in pdf format. They provide template pdf and png files relevant to your book size and style (paperback vs hardcover). It’s a very easy process to just copy and paste the cover images over the template and then upload.

Once you have uploaded the manuscript and cover to the site, you need to get an ISBN. This is essentially an internationally recognized serial number for books. Amazon can give you one for free, but it can only be used to sell the book with them. If you want to be able to publish it elsewhere, you’ll need to get your own ISBN. They’re unfortunately rather pricey; if you only buy one it’ll probably be a hundred dollars, but less if you buy in bulk. I have no idea why it costs so much, but whatever.

Once you have your pdfs uploaded and your ISBN information entered, amazon will automatically overlay the ISBN on your back cover and generate an electronic preview of the printed copy. They have an AI that scans the document and potentially throws up a bunch of errors. You must resolve the errors before you can approve it. The ones I saw involved (A) the text allegedly bleeding over the margins, and (B) the font in my pdf was not available for commercial use. Amazon also asks whether you used AI to produce the book, and it apparently does a scan to check if you’re committing fraud by ripping off someone else’s work or whatever. If you are using AI, they have some guideline on AI generation vs AI assistance, but this was not an issue in my case.

In regards to (A), this is actually a bit annoying. I set MS Word to the margins Amazon provided, but it still claimed my text was out of the margins. I think it was because of the italicized text; basically I have sections that are entirely italicized, and whenever I had a question mark at the end of a line on the left hand page, it would violate the inner margin. I had to use a more conservative margin to get it to work. In regards to (B), I used the Lato font through the whole document, and it is free for commercial use. However, the Amazon AI didn’t recognise a series of three dashes as Lato for some reason. I just deleted them and wrote it differently, whereupon the error went away.

At that point, you just click approve and set the price. The maximum is $250 per copy, and I think the minimum is whatever you need to cover printing costs. You get a 60% royalty, from which they subtract the printing cost. For a 6x9 paperback book with 306 pages, the printing fee is $4.67 per copy. I set my book to $20 a copy, so it looks like this: (20 x .6) – 4.67 = 7.33 per sale (pre-tax). Once you tell Amazon your tax info and the like, you can just click publish and enjoy the millions of dollars you’ll surely rake in. It took them a full 48 hours to approve my publication.

One last thing, there is also the option to buy a proofreading copy before mass publication. I chose to do this because I wanted to be absolutely certain that it turned out all right. It’s the final product but it has the words “Not for Resale” stamped across it. You have to wait to receive it, so this will delay publication and cost you around ten dollars (the print cost + shipping + tax). However, just imagine if you don’t do this, and then a bunch of people buy it and get some misprinted mess.

That’s my experience. I don’t know what the sale data will be like, but I’m happy to do an update if there’s interest. Money was not a primary motivation for me to write this book, but I would like to think it’s worth the price. If you do get it and enjoy reading it, please leave a review on amazon so people don’t assume that it’s a total piece of shit. If I do somehow make millions of dollars from the sales of this book, I promise to commission a statue of the codex mascot.

Link to the book:

Link to an audio-recording of chapters from an old draft. It was made for someone who wanted to hear authors read their own stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdZHRL2ru5A
Wasn't expected to find a break down on self publishing on here but it was actually surprisingly interesting as it goes and informative.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
My dude it needs to be the other way around. I want an Elea RPG. We can make it together if you really want

edit: If you have some important message you want to reach people, ironically many more people will play something like Theseus: Journey to Athens compared to reading Elea

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I have released a digital version for Kindle. Obviously, the paperback version is the superior choice, but releasing it in digital format allows you to avoid the print costs and grants you access to people who prefer ebooks.

In terms of the process, you will need to write the manuscript in MS Word or some other word processor. Then, you install Amazon's "Kindle Create" software and point it at your doc file. It will work its magic and give you a preview of the ebook; if it looks right, you can export it as a kindle specific file (kpf) or epub. Then, you just upload that kpf to amazon (there's a button next to your paperback version), match it with a new front cover (you can just upload a jpg with the right dimensions), and submit it for review. Mine passed review within a few hours (although I had previously published the paperback version, which was in review for 48 hours).

Here's the deal, though: Kindle Create is NOT where you do your writing/editing. You cannot even create links within the book. It is a very, very simple bit of software in terms of word processing. You must do everything in a real word processor, and then pray that it transfers over properly. When it has finished its initial conversion of your file, it will display a list of chapter breaks that it detected. Basically, this will make sure that the reader has to turn a page before the next chapter begins. Go over that list carefully, it is very possible that it missed some, or it added too many. For the excess chapters, just deselect them, but if it missed some (and you have to carefully review it to detect the omission) you need to add them yourself. Just find the beginning of the chapter that was missed, right click, and click "split chapter here". Although you can't create new links to that chapter, if you already had a link that was pointing at that text it should still function properly.

Given that I wrote a branching narrative, you can appreciate why the links are very important. I do not have images in my book, so I can't speak to how well Kindle Create deals with those. In my opinion, KC is pretty good at what it does, but you absolutely have to appreciate that it is only there to take a perfect document from a real word processor, and spit out a mirror of it in KPF/epub format. I will also say that the transition from paperback to digital ruined the simple puzzle I made. If you go to the chapters "On Change" and "Metal Side Door Inspection", you'll find a basic puzzle. If you think just a little bit, you'll realise you need to deduce the next page number from the very obvious clues given in the sticky note on the door. However, "page numbers" are not really relevant to kindle ebook readers, because the text is reformatted depending on their preferences. So I wound up just making a link that they can click if they determine the 3 numeral code (scout's honour). Also, because they're not flipping through the pages by hand, the will probably never see the other secret chapters that are not linked in the story (one is a tea break where you can sit down and rest whenever you like, the other is a fake entry like you might find in the Gold Box games).

In terms of pricing, you avoid the paperback requirement that your price be sufficient for your royalty percentage to pay for the print cost. The maximum price is also much lower; for Elea I was told the maximum price was $10 (paperback max was $250). I made it $8 (which is several dollars below the minimum I am allowed to charge for the paperback). There are some options for how you sell the book and there's a different royalty system; if anyone cares I can try to work it out and explain it. Personally I didn't look too closely because I was more focused on making absolutely certain that the digital version works well and that it's not a bad experience (even though I think paperback is definitely superior). I'm a little concerned that people will use the digital version, realise that the paperback is just better for this style of book, and then fault me for it somehow. But then again, the only people who will buy an ebook version are people who already like that sort of thing, so maybe they'll inherently accept whatever limitations or differences they find.

View attachment 46482

Link to the book:

Link to an audio-recording of chapters from an old draft. It was made for someone who wanted to hear authors read their own stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdZHRL2ru5A
Wasn't expected to find a break down on self publishing on here but it was actually surprisingly interesting as it goes and informative.

It's the workshop! Wouldn't feel right making a thread here if I didn't get down to the nuts and bolts.

My dude it needs to be the other way around. I want an Elea RPG. We can make it together if you really want

edit: If you have some important message you want to reach people, ironically many more people will play something like Theseus: Journey to Athens compared to reading Elea
Right, let there be no doubt, writing an obscure philosophy book is not the path to huge sales figures and enormous wealth. I am very proud of Elea, I think this book is very well-polished and full of meaning, and given its style it is in a class of its own. But in terms of sales it is completely blown out of the water even by Theseus: Journey to Athens, which was an amateur and unpolished game (although I am still proud of the research, writing, and general branching narrative). Then again, I am getting a lot of positive feedback on Elea, and I think the sales may improve when I start getting reviews and people continue to read and share it. However, unless some miracle occurs and it gets mainstream attention, even a crappy game will sell better than a philosophy book. Of course, I have a day job and don't need to support my family on book or game sales (otherwise we'd all starve).

Anyway, I think my next major project will be a crpg. I was going to remake an 80s game in ORK Framework to improve my skills, and then produce an original work in that same engine. Little projects like turning Theseus: Journey to Athens into a paperback would have a relatively quick turnover. I was also thinking of going back through the videos/discussions of Wang Bi's work and the fragments of Parmenides and then writing a proper commentary, but that is a longer project and probably even less popular than Elea. Although, maybe if I keep making books and games, each one draws more eyes to the others, and so there's some sort of cumulative sales effect. Who knows. I'll be making these projects whether they sell or not, as long as people tell me they're not total shit.

Working together with you does sound very appealing, although I am completely incapable of producing graphics and music, and have absolute shit-tier programming skills. Your current project, Aletheia (title inspired by Parmenides' fragments?), looks great and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I used elevenlabs to produce a nice audio recording:

Pretty easy to use, honestly. Would recommend for simple voice AI stuff.

EDIT: Here's a youtube link for those who prefer that:

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Not only is that AI peak blandness (and still robotic), it makes you come across as cheap and lazy.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I gave their v2 software a go. I found it had a lot of bugs/weird audio artifacts, but after tinkering with it for a while I managed to get a clear recording. The female voice is not perfect, but I did like the main, male speaker "George".

Not only is that AI peak blandness (and still robotic), it makes you come across as cheap and lazy.

Well, it is cheap, at least that part is true lmao

Anyway, I think I'm done with the AI voice tools for now. Whatever the suitability for audiobooks, I think it is a useful tool for writers to be able to hear their own work read back to them. I will start using it when writing other projects, I think.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I just ordered my copy from Amazon, looking forward to it :salute:
That's great to hear, once you've given it a read-through let me know what you make of it. If you give it the thumbs up I'll also badger you for an Amazon review. The book got its first review on the weekend; I think it helps with the algorithm and also gives people some confidence that the book is not an unreadable mess. Also, I've started taking notes for the sequel (although I'm not going to start writing it until after remaking/expanding a certain 80s crpg).

SexExitium

Augur
Agesilaus how does the Kindle version work, are there links at the end of the passages that take you directly to the appropriate pages? I simp for Parmenides and Zhuang Zhou so probably copping it :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom