Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ELEX II Factions Trailer

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Always crack up at "Albs"
It's clearly a variation on Elves.

They're basically the same concept as high elves: emotionless, aloof, believe they're superior, have great knowledge and magical abilities, etc. Except in a sci-fi setting.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

They're basically the same concept as high elves: emotionless, aloof, believe they're superior, have great knowledge and magical abilities, etc. Except in a sci-fi setting.

Alb is the old Nordic word for Elf. The old high German word is Alb aswell.
By now Albae have become mostly synonymous with dark elves in Germany, mostly due to the success of books written by Markus Heitz.
He is one of the most successfull German Fantasy writers. Not really something special, on the quality of better published DnD books, but thats it, but very influential.
Ra3P20a.jpg

His version of the Albae is basically lifted from DnD drow anyway.

So you are on the money, the Alps in Elex are supposed to be elfs, specifically drow.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

By now Albae have become mostly synonymous with dark elves in Germany, mostly due to the success of books written by Markus Heitz.
He is one of the most successfull German Fantasy writers. Not really something special, on the quality of better published DnD books, but thats it, but very influential.
Ra3P20a.jpg

So you are on the money, the Alps in Elex are supposed to be elfs, specifically drow.

That book is gut zum "verheitzen"

The "artwork" looks like Markus Heitz has done it himself.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Ra3P20a.jpg

That book is gut zum "verheitzen"

The "artwork" looks like Markus Heitz has done it himself.

Na ja die besseren DnD Romane sind auch alle nur als Feuerholz gut...

Dexter

Arcane
Why cant these germans hire better art people? Its still generic fantasy\ci fi land with a bald dude.

yeah the lack of originality in this franchise is comical
Yes, what Piranha Bytes really needs is to hire experienced art people from California, so that they can teach them that bald white dudes are bad and they should be more creative by concentrating on gender selections, colored hair and pronoun choices.
:retarded:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I figured they're called albs because the ELEX makes their skin pale white.
Hadn't thought of this, but it's yet another reason why the name is on point.

PB has always used descriptive names. Gothic because of the architecture, the art style. Elex because it's the central element in the conflict. Simple and evocative, and leagues better than what Obsidian comes up with.

Ryzer

Arcane
I hope they will greatly improve the number of equipment slots because in Elex 1 you could wear less stuff than in Oblivion for example. That was pure decline and nobody jumped into that.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
I hope they will greatly improve the number of equipment slots because in Elex 1 you could wear less stuff than in Oblivion for example. That was pure decline and nobody jumped into that.
It's Oblivion that is the decline.

The number of equipment slots doesn't make a good game or not.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
proper number of item slots depend on game systems. For example in oblivion you have enough of those to slot invulnerability enchantments and receive 0 damage - for example reflect or chameleon. Morrowind was also meh with all that equipment juggling to cast enchanted spells.
KCD didnt have magic stuff problem but I also found it a bit annoying to dress up. Especially with items getting destroyed and siege/scouting scenarios.

On other hand limiting consumables tends to limit your options and have you keep only most powerful items instead of being versatile. I might be biased due to my ddo days, when I had almost every spell scroll in my hot bars

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I figured they're called albs because the ELEX makes their skin pale white.
Hadn't thought of this, but it's yet another reason why the name is on point.

PB has always used descriptive names. Gothic because of the architecture, the art style. Elex because it's the central element in the conflict. Simple and evocative, and leagues better than what Obsidian comes up with.
risen because it gives me a boner

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
How is this good enough when specifically Oblivion got trashed for this very reason on this special forum?
I remember many of us trashed it for being a mix'n'match system that didn't give a cohesive look, and was just a boring lootfest. Actually we did that with Morrowind, but Oblivion was an even shittier game.

In comparison, in Gothic, armor was tied to the roleplaying. It showed your social rank and your camp allegiance: you only had access to certain armor if you were a member of a faction and had a certain status. To get better armors, you needed to rise in the ranks. And when you wore the armor of a certain group, everyone knew who you were and what you represented, what role you had in society. That sort of setting and roleplay intergration matters to me a lot more than this mixing and matching bullshit to look like a heterogeneous multi-colored faggot.

It's no wonder that those who played and liked Oblivion found armor customization so important, 'cause there's nothing else to the game but the dressing up and lalala-ing in the sandbox.

JDR13

Arcane
I hope the "Albs are Elves" theory is supposed to be sarcasm, because that's beyond retarded.

Zeriel

Arcane
I prefer to think of Albs as a reference to Perfidious Albion. :M

JDR13

Arcane
I hope the "Albs are Elves" theory is supposed to be sarcasm, because that's beyond retarded.
Why would it be beyond retarded to have elf-cultural-equivalents in a setting?

I didn't say that. I said it's retarded to claim that about the Albs.

It would mean either you haven't played the game or weren't paying any attention during it, since the origin of the Albs was cleary explained.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Gothic's approach to armor is wrong. Why can't I murder a paladin, steal his armor and then equip it. What's stopping me since we are both humans and have the same anatomy.
Just make the armor devoid of any magic since I'm not an Innos follower but being unable to loot it is simply dumb.
Weird how we never saw women paladins, Innos seems very peculiar about his choice of followers.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Why would it be beyond retarded to have elf-cultural-equivalents in a setting?

I didn't say that. I said it's retarded to claim that about the Albs.

It would mean either you haven't played the game or weren't paying any attention during it, since the origin of the Albs was cleary explained.
The in-game explanation for the name and the design origin of the name need not be the same. In this case, they intersect.

JDR13

Arcane
Gothic's approach to armor is wrong. Why can't I murder a paladin, steal his armor and then equip it. What's stopping me since we are both humans and have the same anatomy.
Just make the armor devoid of any magic since I'm not an Innos follower but being unable to loot it is simply dumb.

Only if you're being anal about how unrealistic it is. PB doesn't make getting loot easy like most developers. That's one of the best things about their games.

Weird how we never saw women paladins, Innos seems very peculiar about his choice of followers.

Gtfo with that woke shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom