Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'Piranha Bytes' started by Jools, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Jools Eater of Apples Patron

Jools
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    UPDATE - Released: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/elex-release-thread.118754/

Just curious, I was wondering if anyone knew whether PB are working on something or not? I checked their website out and there are no news whatsoever on about their current projects... Anyone got any news at all? Are they still recovering from the reviewing shitstorm that befell on their heads after risen 3?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2017
    ^ Top  
  2. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    They said Risen 3 is the conclusion of the series, and that they won't touch Gothic either. So that only leaves them with making a new IP.

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Good, Gothic series was shit all along and PB should die ages ago. No one who played goldbox, infinity engine, gurps games in 90's enjoyed the casual popamole Gothic which was to rpgs back at the time what call of duty is to doom nowdays.

• Shit Shit x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
  5. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Some good folks like Hoge and Rosenkranz have already abandoned ship a long time ago. The absence definitely shows with Risen 2 & 3.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. APGunner Savant

APGunner
    I almost started writing a generic long post of all the things Gothic did right and how you can't compare goldbox and IE games to it... but then I decided to write the tl;dr version right away.

DUMBFUCK !!!

• Brofist Brofist x 43
    ^ Top  
  7. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb

^ Top  
  8. Jools Eater of Apples Patron

Jools
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Seriously, dude, you shouldn't really be pulling that card, when yours is "Joined: Sep 19, 2014".
    :M

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    ^ Top  
  9. Xeon Augur

Xeon
    I thought they acquired the Gothic IP now. Are they really going to leave it be without making anything with it or milking it or something.

^ Top  
  10. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    :1/5:

1 for the avatar only.

^ Top  
  11. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    Right. Feed the troll. Has always been the best way to treat them... :roll:

Anyway, PB hasn't done anything great in the last few years and many devs of Gothic-glory-days have left (or died) quite a while ago. Neither the pluto13 nor worldofgothic sites tell about any new game so... *shrug*
    Inb4 Gothic microtransaction app/browsergame.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Gord Arcane

Gord
    I think I remember something along the line, too. But iirc they released Risen 3 afterwards, so either they still had contractual obligations, or I misinterpreted it.
    But in the end it probably doesn't matter much, since as Morgoth has said the best people behind the old PB are gone.

^ Top  
  13. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Their brand working class humor / language isn't as edgy anymore as it was in 2001, now that many games want to be "dark" and "mature" by throwing (socially accepted) expletives at the player. Maybe they should double down on smoking, that's becoming outcast behavior if it's tobacco and not weed.

Also as a small company, their chances to compete with AAA open world games are becoming worse, especially with German wages they have to pay. They can't build a brand on being the Witcher for the poor.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I read an interview not so long ago (though the interview may have been old, I dunno) in which one of the PB guys said that they would not consider making another Gothic because they would not be able to deliver on the high expectations people would have for such a title and that they would rather not disappoint the fans. Gotta respect so much honesty.

If I am not mistaken they also disallowed the game Arcania: Gothic 4 to have Gothic in the title or at least for it to be marketed like that, so it is only Arcania now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    :what:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    Wages in Germany have barely risen since 2001, so that's really a non-argument. I also don't see a huge competition from The Witcher. Gamers usually scrounge up the time and money to play more than one game. If the games are worth paying.
    That is the challenge, producing a good game. Which leads us back to what SausageInYourFace said, which is something I think I also vaguely remember.

^ Top  
  17. DollarSign Unwanted

Unwanted
    http://nichegamer.net/2014/08/piranha-bytes-working-on-new-project-not-a-gothicrisen-sequel/

This is old news and may have been debunked since August 2014, but if this is true, then Piranha Bytes is developing a new (possibly kickstarter) franchise, and Hoge will play a major part in it.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. meanwhileInPoland Arcane

meanwhileInPoland
    After Risen 3 they can go fuck themselves in the ass with spicy currywurst:rpgcodex:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Old Hans Arbiter

Old Hans
    They're working on a new RPG that takes place on some jungle island that involves some factions.

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  20. DramaticPopcorn rolled 3-sided di(c)e: 3 Total: 31
    DramaticPopcorn rolled 3-sided di(c)e: 3 Total: 28
    Choosing from a list

From the options:

Random selection is: 3

Choosing from a list

From the options:

Random selection is: 3

^ Top  
  21. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I have Risen 1 & 2, and yet I have not gotten around to start them (and I did finish Forsaken Gods and Gothic 4, that should tell you something). There's something that feels absolutely uninspired and uninspiring about these games, whereas the Gothic series gave me another weird version Ultima.

Their setting is make or break, as far as I'm concerned. If I'm seeing equivalents of fire and water mages in their next game, I will be crying a lot. Or be indifferent, which is even worse.

^ Top  
  22. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Yes, that you are an idiot.

Seriously, you really want to play R1sen.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  23. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Risen 1 starts out nicely but goes downhill pretty fast in the last third.

Good for what it is.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. Xeon Augur

Xeon
    Risen 1 was pretty good I think, I didn't finish it so I might be wrong but was really good from what I have seen. Risen 2 wasn't good, Risen 3 I kinda liked the factions but man I was hoping if they were more fleshed out and had real effect until the end or something, the game just plays the same way, except you use different variety of attacks or something from what I remember. nothing great but not totally bad either.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. puppyonastik Augur

puppyonastik
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.