Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
eh, the last one really was too obvious.
:2/5: would not read again.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Star Citizen is the real deal, believe in Roberts, you will be able to walk on planets, see that space port tower? you can climb it.
You will be able to walk inside your ship and take part in meaningfull emotional conversations with your crew members, just like in KOTOR.now you can have your own Kreia or Aiden,how cool is that?

Ok, I'm convinced you're just trying to troll everyone now. Well played.
I just wanted to post the same thing. No way he is not trolling us at this point.

This one is specifically gold:
take part in meaningfull emotional conversations

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
that's why squadron 42 will destroy ED.
How can a game, which will never see the light of day, destroy an existing one?
ED seems just like a slam dunk shovelware, i bet Braben is using the same code as in the 80's , ships looks the same, planets look the same, space stations looks the same, the trading mechanics are the same.
He is just playing on your emotions and nostalgia, the game feels uninspiring bland and boring.Nothing that we haven't seen before or hasn't been done before.
Star Citizen is the real deal, believe in Roberts, you will be able to walk on planets, see that space port tower? you can climb it.
You will be able to walk inside your ship and take part in meaningfull emotional conversations with your crew members, just like in KOTOR.now you can have your own Kreia or Aiden,how cool is that?, not even speaking about the ship boardings with FPS combat.Now you can be inside the ship and on the outside and play quake while you are playing a flight game.What could you possibly want more from a space game?
Choosing between a mindless grind singleplayer mmo vs a grand emotional space opera is a no brainer.
Troll (emotional space opera huh?) but still, would adding more complex and varied missions hurt? I remember being dissapointed that the missions you could do for the factions in the old Frontier games were "take y go to x", "find z and kill it" etc. Maybe not even campains with hand crafted missions but a more sophisticated mission generator would be imo nice.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
would adding more complex and varied missions hurt? I remember being dissapointed that the missions you could do for the factions in the old Frontier games were "take y go to x", "find z and kill it" etc. Maybe not even campains with hand crafted missions but a more sophisticated mission generator would be imo nice.

David BROben was talking about espionage missions (using the heat/stealth mechanics) about a month ago, with the faction you spy on generating bounty contracts on you for other players to pick up if you get spotted. There was also mention of some missions related to the new exploration mechanics. They didn't give an ETA on when we'd get them in the beta though.

bonescraper

Mining, just as i expected. I love how every activity so far requires more than just press A to win.

There's Gold in them thar asteroids - and Coltan, and Palladium, and...

Beta 3 on 28th October will be your first chance to use your prospecting skills and make some credits by mining.

The Milky Way can be as bountiful as it is spectacular – the processes that shaped our galaxy have distributed a wide variety of ore and minerals secreted in certain stellar bodies.

On the 28th of October, you will have the capability to mine them for profit. You will need two items to do this – a mining laser and an extraction module. After scanning for possible profitable content, you will set to work on your ‘claim’ with the laser.

MiningLasers_WIP_Render-web.jpg

This will separate chunks of rock which you can scan, and then use your cargo scoop to secure those most worthwhile. Once it is safely onboard, your extraction module goes to work separating out its valuable contents. There is a big variation between the individual asteroids, even within a metal rich ring or belt, so once you have a good ‘find’ keep mining it until your hold is full!

The more inhabited the volume of space, the more you will find you are following in the footsteps of others – pickings will likely be scarce. In true prospecting fashion the chance of striking it rich with an incredibly high yield awaits in the more unexplored territories.

Will you be able to keep your motherlode secret from prying eyes? And will you be able to prevent others scooping up your ore before you can secure it?

We only have to wait until the 28th October to find out!

asteroid_mining-web.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
New newsletter out.
Mining asteroids confirmed for beta 3 on Oct. 28!!

:happytrollboy:
And do I understand right that the game will be released on the 22. November? Damnit damnit damint, I have to finish Wasteland 2 quickly so I can focus on Elite entirely.

Bradylama

Arcane
The beta releases are coming out faster and faster now. I'm highly skeptical that they can really get it out by November 22.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The beta releases are coming out faster and faster now. I'm highly skeptical that they can really get it out by November 22.
why? they'll get the most basic core features in, rename beta to final, then churn out additional stuff like stealth missions and so on as free content packs and big features as the already promised expansions.

The Fish

Arcane
The launch of Elite: Dangerous is approaching rapidly, and we are pleased to announce a very special event on the 22nd November

That doesn't actually say that it's being released on the 22nd does it? Are there any clearer announcements?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Eh, I'd be fine with them delaying it until Q1 2015 when you consider the rate at which they are adding features to the beta. Give me moar! :D

bonescraper

I guess it's safe to say we'll get it before Christmas. But there's still a gamma (feature complete beta) release ahead of us.

There's still a lot of stuff we haven't seen yet though. Here's a list of what's yet to come, with links to detailed design notes (where applicable).

- background simulation (with truly dynamic economy, galaxy impacting events etc.)
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6305
- advanced exploration mechanics (with probes and shit)
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6418
- ironman mode
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5323
- player log
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6875
- supercruise interdictions
- imperial systems
- NPC transportation and slave market
- 15 new ships
- tons of new ship upgrades
- refined UI
- improved player to player communication
- offline mode
- and more

Multiple ship ownership, mining (and possibly fuel scooping) comes with the next beta build.

bonescraper

140713122720647279.jpg

a spaceship that looks like gimbaled beam laser how original

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom