Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Enemies should react to being hit

Hell Swarm

Educated
How exactly should they REACT?
"Oooooh! Aaaaaah! It hurts! Ough!"
Autism thread.

You are such a faggot. Clearly tell you've never left your mother's apron strings.

Ash

Arcane
Great, just what gaming needed, another realism over actual game design retard.

Iucounu

Educated
i've had a mauled leg, i started feeling pain hours later. once i smashed onto a wall so hard i looked like a zombie, ripped clothes, dripping blood and all, pain came only about 30 minutes later. one time i was trying to strangle a man, only the next day i realized all the effort it took to take me off him, looking at my body covered in bruises.
That's the point: your leg looked mauled, you looked like a zombie, your body was covered in bruises. How much any of this should affect performance is another issue.

also, stun mechanics can and will be abused by the players, especially if there's more than one on the field.
Not sure I understood that part, do you mean in multiplayer?

Hell Swarm

Educated
He means if enemies react to being hit the player will stun lock them over and over. Which shitty From games already do with great weapons any way. So it's hardly an argument against better animations and reactions.

Ash

Arcane
Great weapons are slow as shit and weigh a lot, their poise-break potential is what balances them. You can't have a fast fencing sword or other lightweight weapon result in realistic pain animations per hit however. You can't have a machine gun that does the same. Well, you can, but it may not be the wisest choice given the game's overarching design, and striving for realism while disregarding game design is what often leads to popamole that all plays the same as one another. See: many modern games.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Shut up faggot. If we wanted your opinion we'd fart in a jar and sniff it. Would be identical to the retarded bullshit you post constantly.

Ash

Arcane
Cry some more about a schooling you clearly need, faggot. Maybe don't post dumb opinion pieces and I wont shoot them down.

Iucounu

Educated
He means if enemies react to being hit the player will stun lock them over and over.
Stalker avoids repeat stunning by somehow making the stunned enemy harder to hit for a couple of seconds after.

Which shitty From games already do with great weapons any way. So it's hardly an argument against better animations and reactions.
Mass Effect uses silly health bars over NPCs, but you can still use combinations of space magic for bonus damage, like freezing an enemy and the shooting on them. Repeated stunning is avoided by requiring time for your magical powers to recharge.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Cry some more about a schooling you clearly need, faggot. Maybe don't post dumb opinion pieces and I wont shoot them down.
You couldn't school a sesame street character. You're literally retarded and shit up every thread you touch. You're going to be a tranny in 5 years at the latest.

Ash

Arcane
Such a crybaby retard. Get the fuck off my codex.

Machocruz

Arcane
Most action games are still rooted in old arcade design, I wouldn't say it's a modern development. It is super gamey and maybe outdated, but I don't know if every time you shoot a giant Terminator skeleton boss in Contra that it should react either.

Odoryuk

Educated
Your from fanboyism is insulting to any one cursed enough to read your post. I pointed out specifically that enemies do not react well in From games. You can shove an ultra greatsword up ayslum demon's ass cheeks and it won't respond in any reasonable fashion. Almost every boss in From games ignores what the player does except when you fill the poise break bar or you parry. The exact problem I'm describing.
Open any FS enemy model in DSAnimViewer and you will see a couple of dozens of short flinching animations for major body parts, which are then blended when you hit said body parts, resulting in a good feedback. Unless you want the enemy to hold the injured part, say "Oh damn you hit me in the knee" and then limp for the rest of the fight, which, I guess, will explain your forum signature of you having autism.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Well this is why I think in rpgs it would be cool but not so sure about fps or anything. Do get tired of it just being a 'miss' when we could see a dodge animation.

Makes me think of KotOR (it tried) or even Darklands (no real graphics to worry about). The combat in Darklands is still pretty good, they look like they are duelling - stepping back or forwards - then when someone gets the upper hand it's all overhead strikes while the opponent looks stunned. Fuck Darklands was good.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Your from fanboyism is insulting to any one cursed enough to read your post. I pointed out specifically that enemies do not react well in From games. You can shove an ultra greatsword up ayslum demon's ass cheeks and it won't respond in any reasonable fashion. Almost every boss in From games ignores what the player does except when you fill the poise break bar or you parry. The exact problem I'm describing.
Open any FS enemy model in DSAnimViewer and you will see a couple of dozens of short flinching animations for major body parts, which are then blended when you hit said body parts, resulting in a good feedback. Unless you want the enemy to hold the injured part, say "Oh damn you hit me in the knee" and then limp for the rest of the fight, which, I guess, will explain your forum signature of you having autism.
You mean like Sif? One of the most popular boss fights From ever made?

I can strawman you as well.

So you want a boss to get hit 10 times, pull out another sword, set themselves on fire and start flying around the arena shooting kame hame has at the player? Explains why you're a colossal faggot.

Odoryuk

Educated
I mean, you could have mentioned Watchdog of the Old Lords, you can destroy its knees and it will affect its behaviour (same for Amygdala, or any other boss that you can destroy a part of). You can toss a crystal spear into Sif's head and he will start limping, because his limping is tied to his overall HP.
So you want a boss to get hit 10 times, pull out another sword, set themselves on fire and start flying around the arena shooting kame hame has at the player?
And you want the enemy to hold the injured part, say "Oh damn you hit me in the knee" and then limp for the rest of the fight. Kinda funny.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I mean, you could have mentioned Watchdog of the Old Lords, you can destroy its knees and it will affect its behaviour (same for Amygdala, or any other boss that you can destroy a part of). You can toss a crystal spear into Sif's head and he will start limping, because his limping is tied to his overall HP.
So you want a boss to get hit 10 times, pull out another sword, set themselves on fire and start flying around the arena shooting kame hame has at the player?
And you want the enemy to hold the injured part, say "Oh damn you hit me in the knee" and then limp for the rest of the fight. Kinda funny.
Neither of those things change much of the fight at all. From are so lazy even when you cut a bosses tail off it still tries to hit you with it. But you can't help but defend them for god knows what reason.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You are a game designer. You decide what is and isn't a stun lock. Both player and enemies should react to being hit. It shouldn't mean stun locks.
If a character is flinching then it can't do anything else. In kotor/nwn characters will actually lose attacks the rules say they should have because of the combat animations playing out. In NWN2 Obsidian decided to just give ghost attacks with no animation attached to compensate for this. Can't do this in an action game.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think mobs should definitely react in the sense of their bodies reacting to impacts, but the problem with signs of injury is that the amount of damage we do in games is necessarily "gamified"

i.e. irl a rifle shot would likely stop someone in their tracks completely and they'd fall down, but that would be no fun in most gamey contexts, where you want the encounter to last for at least a few rounds of mutual shin-kicking before one of you falls over.

Which means that visible injuries can never be fully realistic but only look a lot less than the realistic look would be (if that makes sense).

Hell Swarm

Educated
i.e. irl a rifle shot would likely stop someone in their tracks completely and they'd fall down, but that would be no fun in most gamey contexts, where you want the encounter to last for at least a few rounds of mutual shin-kicking before one of you falls over.
Body armour and power armour can give you lore reasons why a bullet doesn't leave a fresh vagina in someone's forehead when you head shot them. There's ways to get round it.

Most human size enemies generally react to being hit unless they're bosses. Even in jank Japanese action adventure titles.

BrainMuncher

Novice
Enemies in Far Cry 2 would sometimes writhe around on the ground in pain until they either bled out or one of their friends came to help them. You could use this to lure them out of cover. Or they would crawl off and hide behind a rock or something and wait for you with their pistol ready.

Another one with good hit reactions was Rage, it had really good blended animations that depended on where the enemy was hit. Because of how they blended it looked very natural, it always looked slightly different depending on what the enemy was doing at the time.

If a character is flinching then it can't do anything else.
This is not true unless your animation system has not progressed past Wolfenstein 3D. You can make animations do whatever you want it's just a matter of wanting to do it, and having enough brains.

False dichotomy.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I think mobs should definitely react in the sense of their bodies reacting to impacts, but the problem with signs of injury is that the amount of damage we do in games is necessarily "gamified"

Which means that visible injuries can never be fully realistic but only look a lot less than the realistic look would be (if that makes sense).
Made Max Payne 3 more boring. Headshot everyone. Wanted more armored people like in the police station.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is not true unless your animation system has not progressed past Wolfenstein 3D. You can make animations do whatever you want it's just a matter of wanting to do it, and having enough brains.
Many such cases.
03dcnD10CKsS.png

"Is this truly important to have as a priority over other aspects?" For many games, no, and they don't suffer for it reception-wise.

Ash

Arcane
Good post.

"Your Scientists Gamers Were So Preoccupied With Whether Or Not They Could, They Didn’t Stop To Think If They Should"

Sums up the worthlessness of a good chunk of forum posts and average gamer opinions. Many industry conventions, like bullet sponges, respawning enemies or other common idiotic complaints exist for good reasons. Not "padding", "laziness" or "oversight".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom