Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Enlighten me about VR gear bros

Dexter

Arcane
3D only accounts for about 20% of ticket sales, the movie industry is still pushing for it, but most people no longer care.
Is this supposed to be a bad number, given that a multiplicity of movies aren't produced in 3D (more like 4-7% of them)? On the other hand I think I literally couldn't watch some of the late Blockbusters in 2D in the cinema if I wanted (and I don't really want). As far as I can remember, this wasn't the case back in the late 00s even while Avatar and the likes was largely hyped:
number-of-3d-cinema-screens-worldwide.jpg

I dno, it just seems like another thing that was highly overhyped in the beginning (superlatives like "it'll save the movie industry" and "it'll replace usual cinema" and the likes being used), then largely stayed on track while enraging Bloggers like the one above who love to rail against things, that will likely be growing over time and will become ubiquitous (obviously not for all or even the majority of movies, since Documentaries, slow Dramas/Romantic comedies and the likes don't really benefit from it) at some point and they'll wonder how it happened.

Last edited:

Santander02

Arcane
It is when said percentage is down from what it was the previous years

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/is-golden-age-3d-officially-1025843

3d_chart_embed.jpg

(in case you're wondering 14% is just the precentage in North America, 20% is worldwide)

Anyway whatever one might think of 3D the point is that back in 2010 it was hyped as the next big thing that would change cinema foreva and would become the standard for all new movies, it was not and it did not. And we wonder if VR is going to follow to same pattern.

Dexter

Arcane
Anyway whatever one might think of 3D the point is that back in 2010 it was hyped as the next big thing that would change cinema foreva and would become the standard for all new movies, it was not and it did not. And we wonder if VR is going to follow to same pattern.
Both dumb Bloggers and Analysts have a habit of generally overstating or understating their case. I remember when tablets were going to replace the PC and the desktop PC/PC Gaming was generally considered dead. Do I think VR will be a $110 billion market by 2021? https://www.digi-capital.com/news/2...-ar-to-drive-108-billion-vrar-market-by-2021/ No. Do I think it'll have its use-cases, gradually grow and develop till a lot more people will pick it up? Yes.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wake me up when we have real holodeck level VR like Star Trek.

Only once I can emotionally engage myself in a cinematic narrative experience with Troi and Seven of Nine at the same can we really call the technology mature.

And by "emotionally", I mean "physically". And the emotional experience is of course referring to immersing myself in those big ole bouncing boobies.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Can you just use the VR to look around and play game normaly with a keyboard and mouse, none of that walking around and swinging your arms nonsense ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom