Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ensemble Studios shuts down

J1M

Arcane
MaskedMartyr said:
J1M said:
Xi said:
J1M said:
Xi said:
When there are only 2 or 3 developers left, people will still be going "so what!"
Yeah, let's support games we don't enjoy playing and never ever start a new company with new (or old) ideas, ever.

So for new companies to arise it requires that old companies fall? Or for new ideas to arise it requires this same "so what" concept that is often touted by the irrational babbling mass?

J1M, I guess I just believe that an environment that produces more games is also more likely to produce more gems. Maybe that's not how you see it, but it's a modest position and I will stick too it. What non-hyperbole do you have to offer in your defense though?
The market is not unlimited. Less competition increases the chances of startup success.

Sure, a company that makes stuff you don't like that is allowed to exist forever will eventually make something you enjoy, but in the long run we are all dead. I'd rather we didn't waste talent and resources on shit. Doing that crowds the market and results in even safer game ideas. Duplicating software is essentially free. There are no traditional restraints on the production model like physical goods. Thus, when something excellent is created there are no haves and have-nots.

You completely missed my new (or old) idea reference. Doing a real Fallout or starting a Troika today would be an example of old ideas.

Okay, so the old studio breaks down, employees scatter to the wind to form their own companies. What's the chance that any of those companies will be successful? In before someone says Hellgate which tanked in case you didn't know.
Better than the chances of Ensemble making the next Deus Ex or Bloodlines instead of Age of Empires 6, and that's all that matters.

Xi

Arcane
Oh, they don't make the specific genre you prefer, so you don't care if they tank. That makes sense.

Yet, how does this create less competition, for other developers to squiggle their way in, if we're talking about studios who develop for completely different genres? Ahh, it doesn't, ok your argument is null then. Thanks!

J1M

Arcane
Xi said:
Oh, they don't make the specific genre you prefer, so you don't care if they tank. That makes sense.

Yet, how does this create less competition, for other developers to squiggle their way in, if we're talking about studios who develop for completely different genres? Ahh, it doesn't, ok your argument is null then. Thanks!
Yeah, because graphics programmers, network programmers, sound engineers, artists, etc. all really care as much as game designers what genre they are working on.

Furthermore, if 5 or 6 attempts at one genre isn't enough to pass judgment on their potential with it, what is?

I get it, you aren't an intellectual powerhouse, but at least try to do some critical thinking.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
ka1zww.gif

Go away for a week and the world goes fucking ape shit. This is awful...halo killed the age of empires...

IIRC this was MGS's second biggest property after halo, fair to say MS has abandoned pc game development.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Inziladun said:
While I do like Ensemble's older games they really haven't made anything of worth lately. I never heard of Halo Wars until just now, so it looks like they weren't going to make anything of worth anytime soon anyway.

Always sad to see an old name die out, but really it's not that much of a loss.

True. I liked the old AOE games, and Age of Mythology was cool. It's a shame to see them go down, when they've been around for over a decade, but with AOE3, which imho was a sell out to the franchise, it's only a matter of time before its decline

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom