Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Enshrouded - co-op survival action RPG - now available on Early Access

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
What is "flying"?
The framerate. As opposed to crawling.

How much fps?
144 fps aka hertz

And why do you specify your refresh rate?
Because I have a variable refresh rate, so I get as much hertz as I get fps.
It drops down to 100 sometimes, but with g-sync you can't notice it. With my shitty 2080 I'm really surprised. The optimizations are great. I play in "Balanced" mode, 100% rendering scale, DLSS for AA only, not for any upscaling.

I have 3070 Ti and it's 40-55fps (almost never 60) in 4K with DLSS set in Performance mode with tweaked settings (not lowest, but not best either).
Try updating the drivers. Something is very very wrong.
Nvidia rolled out a new driver just for this game.

Graphics in the game aren't that impressive for such GPU requirements.
They're good graphics. A tiny bit cartoonish, but mostly realistic. In the current climate of fortnite graphics, Enshrouded looks good.

I've sunken 31 hours into this so far, and I've yet to reach the end game. I'm guessing I have another 10 hours. They really pumped the early access with content. It's a great product with optimizations, it's bug free, ton of content, excellent gameplay. It's not "Dark Souls" in terms of combat, but it's certainly better than Conan. The NPCs don't get stuck, they fight well, the replication is really good, the latency is rarely felt at all. Everything is client-predicted, giving a smooth feel to playing.

The only thing that surprised me is that to launch a dedicated server, you need a GPU, because they calculate voxels on it. It's not necessary, could be done on the CPU.
Had to rent a special server for $10/month to play with friends, so that we can log in whenever we want.
Minor issue: no text chat.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Because I have a variable refresh rate, so I get as much hertz as I get fps.
You can disable VSync or any other method of locking your fps and get as many fps as you can on any monitor.

When we talk about performance, specifying your refresh rate doesn't make any sense.

Try updating the drivers. Something is very very wrong.
Nvidia rolled out a new driver just for this game.
I linked the video recorded on 3070Ti with the those same latest drivers.

It dips below 50fps in 1440p with DLSS set on Quality.

Probably the only card that could achieve more than 100fps in 4K in this game currently is 4090.

What you're saying here is very wrong. Steam forums are full with messages about bad performance.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You can disable VSync or any other method of locking your fps and get as many fps as you can on any monitor.

When we talk about performance, specifying your refresh rate doesn't make any sense.
Is there some comprehension difficulties? Fixed refresh rate monitors output 60 fps no matter what, and if the game renders 50, there's frame pacing involved, i.e. some frames are displayed for a longer period of time than 16 ms.
With variable refresh rate, the monitor outputs the exact number of frames rendered. Framerate and refresh rate become the same thing, an interchangeable concept.

It dips below 50fps in 1440p with DLSS set on Quality.
I also get low fps on Quality general graphics preset (not DLSS preset). Play on Balanced. My DLSS AA is in performance mode.

What you're saying here is very wrong.
Okay, what exactly did I say wrong? Concrete examples.

Steam forums are full with messages about bad performance.
Okay, I got curious, went to check. Checked first page of "player support" and "general discussions". Not a single mention of low framerate.

0ac6bbd11026dfddb6aff921f390fc0b.jpg

4e99bdbdae14ac974039f2e2293efbc2.jpg

Bonus:
7ae02f7a4aab361b49d71d7fb0dd1e04.png

Artyoan

Arbiter
I'm going to give this a try. Mainly for the art style and structure building. Just looks comfy.

Machocruz

Arcane
I want something like Conan Exiles but with better way to move you through the "story" than following a checklist. Conan has the best building outside of Minecraft, especially if you get one of the DLC add-ons, but it provides little incentive or flow to "beat" the game.

Latelistener

Arcane
Is there some comprehension difficulties? Fixed refresh rate monitors output 60 fps no matter what, and if the game renders 50, there's frame pacing involved, i.e. some frames are displayed for a longer period of time than 16 ms.
With variable refresh rate, the monitor outputs the exact number of frames rendered. Framerate and refresh rate become the same thing, an interchangeable concept.
There are seems to be some difficulties indeed. When it comes to performance it doesn't matter how much hz you have on your panel.

If you disable VSync and disable fps limiter (if there are any), your software will show exactly how much fps you can get.

For example, I have a 60hz monitor, but I have 90-130fps in Doom Eternal in 4K with DLSS (CPU bottleneck, actually).

I also get low fps on Quality general graphics preset (not DLSS preset). Play on Balanced. My DLSS AA is in performance mode.
DLSS always upscales your image. The only option when it does not is called DLAA. It's when the output = your current resolution.

Quality - 66.6% (2/3) per axis, 45% resolution.
Balanced - 58% per axis, 33% resolution
Performance - 50% per axis, 25% resolution.
Ultra Performance - 33% (1/3) per axis, 11% resolution.

DLAA - 100% resolution.

Okay, what exactly did I say wrong? Concrete examples.
A lot of things, but you could post your screenshot where it shows that you indeed have 100fps. Otherwise it's just nonsense.

Okay, I got curious, went to check.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1203620/discussions/0/4142816460194934861/

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
When it comes to performance it doesn't matter how much hz you have on your panel.

If you disable VSync and disable fps limiter (if there are any), your software will show exactly how much fps you can get.
I'm new to this monitor with VRR. I'm not sure what's happening, because after testing it looks like fps is indeed not married to hertz.
After testing, I can't make heads or tails of the relation between hz and fps. There is one, but I can't tell what it is.
It's very deceptive, because throughout the game I felt like I was getting above 60 fps the entire time, while I wasn't. Is it g-sync's doing?

DLSS always upscales your image. The only option when it does not is called DLAA. It's when the output = your current resolution.

Quality - 66.6% (2/3) per axis, 45% resolution.
Balanced - 58% per axis, 33% resolution
Performance - 50% per axis, 25% resolution.
Ultra Performance - 33% (1/3) per axis, 11% resolution.

DLAA - 100% resolution.
Again, it's very deceptive that I set the resolution scale to 100%, but internally DLSS forces it to render at a lower res.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Started in on it. The building is excellent. Kind of wonky to use at first but after figuring it out I've been spending most of my time just expanding on a house. I made a simple room, then dug down into the ground to make stairs leading into a cellar. It also looks great. Very, very impressed with this aspect. Being able to dig anywhere is awesome.

Combat seems okay and feels better than Valheim. On the easy side so far but I'm level 2. Nothing annoying like the greydwarves are attacking me while I do anything. I'm pretty much left alone to build. Not sure if raids happen but none so far.

Early criticism:
-You set down a fire monument that defines where your base is and upgrading it will expand your base perimeters. Everything outside the base will respawn eventually, including chests and their contents. I don't mind a lot of things respawning like trees and such but chests shouldn't.
-Getting a lot of stuttering with the game, running mostly on balanced settings. Not enough to make me stop but its noticeable.
-Whacking away at a tree with an axe has an annoying screen shake that I don't see a way to turn off.
-Crafting has to come from what is in your personal inventory so far, not from chests in your base. I've been told that chests that are craftable later on allow for it but I'd rather have had that present from the first storage piece. It would help with quality of life quite a bit.

Still, having a great time building and gradually exploring.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
-Crafting has to come from what is in your personal inventory so far, not from chests in your base. I've been told that chests that are craftable later on allow for it but I'd rather have had that present from the first storage piece. It would help with quality of life quite a bit.

100%. This is my main annoyance with the game.

I agree with your respawn criticism as well, but I haven't noticed any stuttering or the screen shake. The screen shake may happen, but I've never noticed it. heh

Earlier ITT I said there was no falling damage. That was based on a YT video and early observations, but I have since experienced falling damage so whether it was in before or not, it's a thing now. You have to drop a fair distance to take damage though.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm a few hours in, having just gotten the first companion, and the combat encounters so far have been zero challenge--like, I'm taking no damage. Does the combat challenge ramp up down the road?

First few hours there is little challenge, more powerful enemies starts to appear as you progress through the Shroud. Also some boss like enemies. But still not really a challenging game unless you attack blindy to a whole camp.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm a few hours in, having just gotten the first companion, and the combat encounters so far have been zero challenge--like, I'm taking no damage. Does the combat challenge ramp up down the road?

First few hours there is little challenge, more powerful enemies starts to appear as you progress through the Shroud. Also some boss like enemies. But still not really a challenging game unless you attack blindy to a whole camp.

Yeah I expect overall difficulty will be addressed later. Lots of people are requesting server side sliders for difficulty.

Arryosha

Learned

Yes, I beat the first boss--at the bottom the elixir well--but it was pretty easy. I've only encountered one enemy that was a challenge, which is frustrating because there's potential for the combat to be rewarding in this game. I sure hope it gets addressed soon. There's nothing more boring than when a game is too easy.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Yes, I beat the first boss--at the bottom the elixir well--but it was pretty easy.
You're a wizard / archer? Melee is harder, play that if you want a challenge. Respec costs 10 rings.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's like Zelda meets Conan. Of course, the combat isn't challenging to me, but for most people, it's probably good enough. The building aspect is excellent, and the fact that you can destroy any piece of the environment is a plus. The exploration is top-notch. It's the first pleasant surprise of 2024, and it feels like something that should be part of the general RPG discussion.

Artyoan

Arbiter
It's like Zelda meets Conan. Of course, the combat isn't challenging to me, but for most people, it's probably good enough. The building aspect is excellent, and the fact that you can destroy any piece of the environment is a plus. The exploration is top-notch. It's the first pleasant surprise of 2024, and it feels like something that should be part of the general RPG discussion.
I agree with this. The complaints about difficulty seem off to me so far. If there are 3+ enemies it can get hectic at points, especially if not out in the open. Not to say its hard but there is plenty of room to work with the numbers down the line and the combat feels decent to play. I'm not far in but they could easily have something like Valheim's +1/2 star enemies that are greater versions of regular monsters that appear as the player progresses. Could throw in random effects or make their AI more aggressive. Its still a nice base and enemies look great.

I'm impressed with it so far. The building is superior to conan and valheim. If they get some weather effects in there and some more frequent mood setting background music, this could be worth it for the cozy building aspect by itself.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
If they get some weather effects in there and some more frequent mood setting background music, this could be worth it for the cozy building aspect by itself.
Considering how much content they pumped into it (a lot), I wouldn't be surprised if the full release ends up with 2-3 times the current amount.
I've saved the progress we made on a dedicated server with a few bros and we plan to revisit a few years from now. With new territories unlocked and possibly much more content and mechanics, this game could have a second and possibly a third life.

I strongly recommend playing it in co-op. I wouldn't have completed it if it was single player. But in co-op, it was one of the best gaming experiences of the last couple years.

Arryosha

Learned
Not to say its hard but there is plenty of room to work with the numbers down the line
On the plus side, it seems like difficulty options or stat tweaks would be fairly easy to implement, so it has to be only a matter of time. Devs may have been trying to pull in casual players, but it should be possible for combat to be at least as suspensful as minecraft, which I don't think it is atm.

Latelistener

Arcane
I'm new to this monitor with VRR. I'm not sure what's happening, because after testing it looks like fps is indeed not married to hertz.
After testing, I can't make heads or tails of the relation between hz and fps. There is one, but I can't tell what it is.
It's very deceptive, because throughout the game I felt like I was getting above 60 fps the entire time, while I wasn't. Is it g-sync's doing?
The only thing G-Sync as well as Freesync are doing are removing screen tearing effect (by allowing refresh rate to adapt to frame rate) without the need of usage of V-Sync, which does the same thing, but introduces a major input lag. It does nothing else.

I do know that some TVs have a thing called motion interpolation, which could make 30fps look like 60fps or even more, but I haven't heard of a single monitor that has this (also introduces input lag).

Again, it's very deceptive that I set the resolution scale to 100%, but internally DLSS forces it to render at a lower res.
That's what DLSS is for, same as FSR. To render image at a lower resolution and then upscale.

I'm not sure why Enshrouded has them as an option for anti-aliasing though. They usually work along with anti-aliasing techniques like TAA or SMAA.

Resolution scale is another option, but I usually use it when I want to set it to 200%. Going below 100% doesn't make any sense if the game already has DLSS. It gives a much better image with adequate performance boost.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Around level 6-7 game started to become a bit challenging at last. When on my to carpenter I had to fight groups of 5-6 with archers backing them up, zerg swarms and
flying shroud lich-like-monster ecompanied by skeletons.
all inside the shroud. Thankfully I found a shroud refiller at my last 30 sec. which was my savior. That refillers won't fully charge the resistance bar though, gave 3 mins only.

Really liking the games exploration, freedom and open world. I tried to cleanse an area deep in the shroud, so found me a tall mountain, climb up and glide to the tree, bypassing a huge number of enemies. When you chop the tree, nearby enemies vanishes.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron

There are magic versions of chests that allow this. You can build them after getting the carpenter to work.

Artyoan

Arbiter

There are magic versions of chests that allow this. You can build them after getting the carpenter to work.
I'm still missing the farmer and carpenter so I'll likely build a big vault area for the magic boxes when the time comes.

After getting full heavy armor the damage of lvl 3 enemies became trivial enough to disregard. Prior to that it was fine, so I'm more certain the biggest issue with easy difficulty is a matter of numbers and not so much how the combat plays out itself. I've switched to lighter armor and am going to attempt a ranger/thief style of play. Maybe try some magic here and there.

Can't praise the building system enough. The hyper efficient people that build a shack, stuff their NPC's in one room, and call it a day are probably going to walk away with a lesser opinion of the game than I will. The rest of the game is good enough but if you're not taking advantage of this system, you're missing the Enshrouded's greatest appeal. Relax and forego number progression in favor of some creativity/immersion.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I'm now level 8 and the quests seem to be pushing me into level 11 territory. Wearing light armor still and not finding the game to be easy, feels about right even when fighting same level creatures. I finally died by apparently hitting a bomb with my sword in the middle of combat.

I got the double jump from the skill tree. Seems to have some issues where the game doesn't recognize it and activates the glider instead. Would be better to not have the glider activated on the same button as jump. Also, having another rare problem where I go to loot a creature and activate a nearby grapple hook. Lots of 'same button' issues here and there.

The amount of hidden secrets is impressive. Itemization could use some help as the random nature of treasure chests should ideally be mixed with hand-placed loot imo. I would also like to see more interesting qualities on weapons/armor.

I have my criticism but I'm loving this. It is about a 9/10 so far for an early access game.

Machocruz

Arcane
Will probably play this when it's final release if the building is that good. Like the visuals and enjoy building in exploration in general, I still fire up Minecraft every now and then. I dropped Conan because bosses are not tuned to solo play, but it had the building and exploration down. Palworld looks too plastic and I was never into or cared about Pocketmen

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom