Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Enshrouded - co-op survival action RPG - now available on Early Access

Arryosha

Learned
I got the double jump from the skill tree. Seems to have some issues where the game doesn't recognize it and activates the glider instead.
I have double jump and I've never encountered this.

I can confirm what you say about better difficulty past a certain level. I am level 5 and even with full heavy armor the quest to get the carpenter was dangerous.

I kind of wish death was a bit more punishing, however. You lose what's in your backpack but not what's in your hotbar. But the hotbar is where you usually have most of your valuable stuff, especially given how many slots there are. On top of that, your tombstone often gets placed not where you died but closer to your spawn, usually in safer place.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I got the double jump from the skill tree. Seems to have some issues where the game doesn't recognize it and activates the glider instead.
I have double jump and I've never encountered this.

I can confirm what you say about better difficulty past a certain level. I am level 5 and even with full heavy armor the quest to get the carpenter was dangerous.

I kind of wish death was a bit more punishing, however. You lose what's in your backpack but not what's in your hotbar. But the hotbar is where you usually have most of your valuable stuff, especially given how many slots there are. On top of that, your tombstone often gets placed not where you died but closer to your spawn, usually in safer place.
Are you using a controller? Maybe it's less of an issue with kb+m. Every now and then it just doesn't seem to do the second jump even though I'm still ascending. Not a huge issue, just notable.

I'm wearing light armor that the hunter crafted for me and I've been using a combination of bow and melee. Doing that I've found the difficulty to be about right. Easily the best, and hardest, moments have been when I'm making my way around an enemy camp at night where I can't see for shit. That can get vicious. The way they patrol makes the crouching stealth movement less than desirable even though I took the perk to increase the speed of doing so.

The death mechanic is probably to help recover belongings if the player dies by the red shroud lava stuff. Which needs to be toned down some. I've died twice to the red stuff even though I did not appear to be quite touching it. The shroud timer will immediately drop a few minutes in less than a second.

Edit: The glider activates instead of the double jump if you press the button too early in the ascent. Press jump as rapidly as you can and it will glide.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Can't praise the building system enough. The hyper efficient people that build a shack, stuff their NPC's in one room, and call it a day are probably going to walk away with a lesser opinion of the game than I will. The rest of the game is good enough but if you're not taking advantage of this system, you're missing the Enshrouded's greatest appeal. Relax and forego number progression in favor of some creativity/immersion.

I agree. I normally hate building stuff to the point that in Conan I was annoyed even sticking up 4 walls and a roof just barely big enough to stick a bed in, whereas here I fairly quickly set up a fairly expansive two floor loft with plans on expanding it and tooling around with various systems.

Artyoan

Arbiter

Can't praise the building system enough. The hyper efficient people that build a shack, stuff their NPC's in one room, and call it a day are probably going to walk away with a lesser opinion of the game than I will. The rest of the game is good enough but if you're not taking advantage of this system, you're missing the Enshrouded's greatest appeal. Relax and forego number progression in favor of some creativity/immersion.

I agree. I normally hate building stuff to the point that in Conan I was annoyed even sticking up 4 walls and a roof just barely big enough to stick a bed in, whereas here I fairly quickly set up a fairly expansive two floor loft with plans on expanding it and tooling around with various systems.
I've got a four room house with a cellar room below and one more vault room also below the floors. Now that I've got more building material types I want to build an adjacent house as I've got a small farm going now as well. My comfort level gets me a 27 minute stamina buff.

I've still spent the majority of my time exploring and nowhere even close to done with that either.

I've died about ten times with all of them by red shroud lava, the deadly pink shroud, or being one-shot by explosives mid-battle.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I'm still really enjoying this, but the quality drops off after the first two forest areas. The highlands are much more sparse with a lower level shroud area that has far too little content and an upper level area that is long distances between notable points with a boring landscape visually. On the plus side, the Pike city area leading to the dragon boss was outstanding. The boss itself was also a good fight.

I've got about four or five dozen things I'd change but I still love the base foundation for the whole game here. This could be a great 300+ hour game for me if they can get the balance/difficulty right and improve itemization. Weapon types need their own movesets, double jump is too easy to get for how good it is, enemies need to be able to handle an elevated player better. Fast travel could use some kind of change as it's too easy.

One bizarre design decision is that treasure chests are getting more sparse and usually contain weapons that I trash for runes. But I can take an axe and destroy vases all over the puzzle towers and get a wide variety of material that is sometimes rare.

Arryosha

Learned
I think solo is enjoyable up to a point. Story and NPCs are basically non-existent. Basebuilding is a big part of the game, not because it is essential to survival, but because its fun and there isn't a lot else to do besides that and explore. You explore because exploration in the game is good, but also to open up new building options. But without others to appreciate the great things you can create, it can feel empty. While playing, I often find myself wishing my friends would have agreed to play this one with me. And as Arytoan points out, the qualit drops off. Or, at least, things start to feel a bit samey after awhile. Maybe the full release will be different, but after about 30 hours in and without others to amplify the fun that's there, I'm starting to lose interest. I'll probably get to about 50 hours.

Despite all that, I'd don't regret the time and money I spent. I just wish I had played it with others.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I think solo is enjoyable up to a point. Story and NPCs are basically non-existent. Basebuilding is a big part of the game, not because it is essential to survival, but because its fun and there isn't a lot else to do besides that and explore. You explore because exploration in the game is good, but also to open up new building options. But without others to appreciate the great things you can create, it can feel empty. While playing, I often find myself wishing my friends would have agreed to play this one with me. And as Arytoan points out, the qualit drops off. Or, at least, things start to feel a bit samey after awhile. Maybe the full release will be different, but after about 30 hours in and without others to amplify the fun that's there, I'm starting to lose interest. I'll probably get to about 50 hours.

Despite all that, I'd don't regret the time and money I spent. I just wish I had played it with others.
The story has been pure background journal text. Some of it is kind of interesting with snippets being found all over the points of interest that detail how the world was being ruined. A fair amount of those journals are written by the NPC's that are placed in the player base, so they get a little more character beyond the sparse dialogue. I'd guess this will remain a consistent aspect for the rest of the game's development, for better or worse.

I'm going to finish out the current content. The difficulty is getting decently hard at the level 25 cap but that also depends on how willing the player is to not abuse the AI. Most of my damage comes from a ranged bow but the AI has a lot of trouble with the player being on higher ledges. A lot of enemies have no ranged option so they just stand there and get pelted to death if I want to jump up somewhere. There are highly aggressive green glowing scavenger enemies later on that I've cheesed a great many times with either verticality or a talent that constantly stuns enemies with special shroud arrows. Just a lot of balance issues all around to clean up.

I've really enjoyed it though. A solid foundation and a 9/10 for me personally. Most of what has me enamored with it:
-The art style just does it for me. The clashing of forest with the shroud. The buildings look gorgeous. Glowing lights in the night. Just a good atmosphere all around.
-Night and day system actually has meaning. Often when exploring the day falls to night and I need to use light from a torch or off of a sword. It enhances the danger considerably.
-Digging has consistently been rewarding. Last night I'm in a desert area. I see some odd ruins with nothing there. Dig down into the sands and find a small dungeon beneath. Neat stuff.
-The grind for materials isn't overwhelming. I played Valheim a few months ago and there is nothing like the Iron grind there. Getting any material here is far easier, save for maybe Flax which can be grown at the base. The timers for making materials on crafting stations are also not overly long either.
-The enshrouded timer actually works well. It can generate some good tension when I'm delving far into an unknown area and I choose to press on without knowing whether I'm going to be able to get out of it in time.
-Areas have a lot of mini-puzzles that can keep environmental traversal interesting. Double jump is a little too easy to get and makes light of some of this but not all of it.
-Items don't have weight so the player is only limited by the amount of slots, which are upgraded through bags. Greatly alleviates a lot of frustration with needing to head back home too early because of carry weight issues. Which again, leads to enhanced exploration through the day/night cycle.
-Lastly, the building system is fantastic. It is possible to make very elaborate bases or even just dig into the ground and make a hobbit hole if you wanted to. Even possible to restore a ruined town found in the game. No physics/structural element though, so things can just float in mid-air.

But as I've said before, I've got several dozen things I'd change or add. The lack of weather is my biggest gripe at this point. There is no comparable moment to Valheim where the storm rolled in with the rain pattering the roof as I'm cozy by the fire making sausages. Maybe I'll end up making a list from big to small things I'd like to see for a roadmap or patch notes.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
But without others to appreciate the great things you can create, it can feel empty.

I find this interesting. It's probably a significant divider between people who prefer MP games and those who don't, but I couldn't care less whether anyone appreciates what I make. If I make anything at all, it's because I find that to be interesting or fun and I do it for myself. Showing it to anyone else is an after thought at best.

Otherwise, the criticisms about the game getting samey seem to be shared a lot off the Codex as well. They probably need to either tighten it up so it doesn't run as long, or introduce something more interesting at some point. Either that or just have one of those games that most people never complete, but enjoy for as long as they're able. I think that's also a fine result.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyone else got “No Compatible Graphics Device Found” error? I asked for a refund after it. Could't fix it no matter what in my linux

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have heard that to run Nightingale in Linux, you need -ignore-windows-system-certs. Does this option works in this game?

I really wanna to play it.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Is this game enjoyable solo?
Most of it is, 99% of it, but the EA end boss is a slog and quite unfun solo, definitely designed for multi in this case.
Which boss? There isn't really an end boss from what I saw. The highest level 'boss' fight was two of those fat matron acid throwers.

I didn't find any of them to be unfun solo. If you're talking about the wyvern, you need to hit him in the mouth when he's breathing and he'll drop for large damage. The blade throwing wraith thing can be blocked and then the skull has to be run from. The abomination thing could just be shot dead from a range.

Mortmal

Arcane
Most of it is, 99% of it, but the EA end boss is a slog and quite unfun solo, definitely designed for multi in this case.
Which boss? There isn't really an end boss from what I saw. The highest level 'boss' fight was two of those fat matron acid throwers.

I didn't find any of them to be unfun solo. If you're talking about the wyvern, you need to hit him in the mouth when he's breathing and he'll drop for large damage. The blade throwing wraith thing can be blocked and then the skull has to be run from. The abomination thing could just be shot dead from a range.
The wyvern , lot of hp , the one spawning beetles too. Solo its not fun. Yes you can hit it in the head with arrows, but the build i brought was pure magic.

Artyoan

Arbiter

The wyvern , lot of hp , the one spawning beetles too. Solo its not fun.
Shoot it in the mouth when it is prepping the long breathing attack and is standing up. It will fall stunned and take a lot of melee damage. Or one cast of acid breath will kill it since that spell is bugged and magic is grossly overpowered at the moment. I thought the wyvern was good solo.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Good to know. Valheim came off the same way, but it quickly became evident co-op was required for enjoyment.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Good to know. Valheim came off the same way, but it quickly became evident co-op was required for enjoyment.
I think Enshrouded is much more solo friendly than Valheim, in large part because inventory restrictions are much more lenient here. Valheim had a lot of tedious running back and forth because the weight limit was so low, and that is even with the belt that adds to carry weight. Slots are taken up by equipment and few in number as well. Enshrouded has no weight to items and backpack slots get upgraded by crafting new bags. Lots of slots in the better chests as well.

Enshrouded is much friendlier all around for quality of life but has less of those uncontrolled moments that can shine in Valheim. I played two characters: A ranger who primarily used a bow but also used melee weapons to supplement and a full wizard. The ranger was much more fun to me because there is some difficulty in the game to the melee portion in light armor. The wizard could destroy anything quite easily from a safe distance and bosses melt from the acid spell, as it ticks way more often than it should. One direct cast will kill bosses.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Thanks, Artyoan. I might refund Helldivers 2 and get this instead now.

Valheim had a lot of tedious running back and forth because the weight limit was so low, and that is even with the belt that adds to carry weight.

Man, this drove me crazy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom