Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review Escape Velocity Nova review

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Midnight Falcon said:
Yes, the bar is a bit silly.

It'd be nice if gambling offered more, like missions to race, other types of gambling such as craps, blackjack, etc.

But really, all I'd want is more people and missions available in the bar. Even something like Freelancer's ability to bribe local factions would be nice. That'd be a hell of a lot better than having to run shipping missions and/or kill millions of pirates.

But the thing which annoys me the most about Nova (scenario wise, not an engine issue) is the way in which the stories seem to actively prevent the player from role-playing at all. Not only do we have mostly linear story-threads, but we also have the writers telling the player what he/she is thinking and feeling.

"Oh? I feel sad because I'm doing these things? Ok, well, your the boss I guess."

How I respond emotionally to what I'm doing is MY business, not the game designer's. If they think they need to tell me to feel happy, sad, amused etc. then they have fundamentally failed to create engaging characters and actions.

I agree as well. This is all throughout the game. It's kind of like the Wild Geese mission where the one guy gets killed by McGowan, and the only option was to vow revenge. Maybe I'm a chicken shit coward and would rather spare my neck than get involved? Maybe I just don't care that this guy got killed? Maybe I'm more inclined to side with McGowan, since I have a lust for money?

I also dislike the way that they keep making decisions for me. Sure, I get to choose whether to accept a mission or not, but I don't get any say about whether I'm going to get drunk with a stranger in the bar. *I* don't drink, so it's damn annoying when the game tells me that I do.

Well, I don't run around blowing up Federation carriers, but what the hell? :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom