Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Eschalon: Book 1 embraces the penguin.

Nedrah

Erudite
Tags: Eschalon: Book I

<A HREF="http://basiliskgames.com/">Basilisk Games</a> released their final <a href="http://basiliskgames.com/demo/eschalon_book_1_demo.tar.gz">Linux Demo</a> on December, 19th. On December, 21st the <a href="http://basiliskgames.com/order.htm"> purchase links</a> for the full Linux version were activated. So, if you decided to stay away from Windows even for your gaming needs, here's your chance to get your hands on one of the best RPGs you are likely to find for your OS. BasiliskWrangler also <a href="http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=995">seems open to the idea</a> of giving people who already own the Windows version a Linux license for free.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, if you decided to stay away from Windows even for your gaming needs, here's your chance to get your hands on one of the best RPGs you are likely to find for your OS.

So is Eschalon that good? Or are you just putting down Linux?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Its a very nice game yeah, the only downside is that it is rather short and some things are a bit unbalanced. But other than that, it is worth the money you are going to spend on it.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I didn't find it too short. I spent over 32 hours on it.

It probably helps that I spread my skill points a little thinly, thus ensuring that I was never ubar and that the game remained a challenge. And even then I didn't get a single level in Elemental magic, only a few levels in Divination for reasons of utility and healing, and I did only a little Alchemy. So there's still room for some replay for me, as a Wizard-type dude.

Nedrah

Erudite
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
So, if you decided to stay away from Windows even for your gaming needs, here's your chance to get your hands on one of the best RPGs you are likely to find for your OS.

So is Eschalon that good? Or are you just putting down Linux?

Why would I put Linux down? I am convinced that it's the superior OS, and I have Ubuntu on one of my machines. It's just not the prime choice for pc gaming just yet, which has not so much to do with the OS itself and everything with most games only being released for Windows.

So, yeah, I actually like Eschalon a great deal. Now, if only they could add an option for a little faster movement...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nedrah said:
So, yeah, I actually like Eschalon a great deal. Now, if only they could add an option for a little faster movement...

Haha. Yeah.
I really think Book II will be much an improvement. As BasiliskWrangler stated, the world will be bigger (meaning more time to spend in it), and other things will be improved, too.
Well, just what you would expect from a sequel, I guess.

@ Spacemoose:

I really don't get your antipathy for this title.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
As much as I like it as an independent effort, it's still pretty mediocre compared to, say, Eye of the Beholder or, dunno, RoA. Poor, even. But it's an engine I like; give me an editor and a dialogue editor and one can make something real good with it. Book 2 has potential.

Nedrah

Erudite
Jasede said:
As much as I like it as an independent effort, it's still pretty mediocre compared to, say, Eye of the Beholder or, dunno, RoA. Poor, even. But it's an engine I like; give me an editor and a dialogue editor and one can make something real good with it. Book 2 has potential.

Well, for some reason Eschalon gave me a desire to replay the Ultima 7s. Pretty painless process with Exult, too. I'd love to give ROA another go, actually. But I remember that you needed to either remember or constantly look up those spells. Now, if there was any way (a mod, for example) to do something about that, I'd likely be all over the three games.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No idea what takes you 30+ hours, guys. Finished in 10. However, I did got straight wizard, never using anything but the fire spell you get at the beginning, so I guess that made it easier. Or I just played way too many RPGs in my time, lawl.

Nedrah, huh? The spells in RoA are pretty self-explanatory. Just read the manual once. Or use a spell if you forgot what it does. Besides, they even speak a Latin-style invocation when you use a spell, so I can always remember what the spell does at the time I hear its Latin invocation, lawl.

Hey, Wizardry 1, Might and Magic 1, those require way more memorization of spells! RoA 1 is pretty luxurious, it even gives you the spell name.

Nedrah

Erudite
Those other games you speak of are too oldschool for me.

So, how are the translations? Are the games still good in their english version or should I look for DSA? Also, is the first game good compared to part two? Or could I safely skip it?

Binary

Liturgist
Nedrah said:
BasiliskWrangler also <a href="http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=995">seems open to the idea</a> of giving people who already own the Windows version a Linux license for free.

It's actually better than that. He says:

"However, if anyone here really, really wants another license just email me your order number and I will allow you to have one copy of another version."

So it doesn't have to be Windows + Linux (although I suspect it is what most people would choose ;) ).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom