Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Eschalon Book II footage

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Eschalon: Book II

Basilisk Games releases <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcxtmDaHZls">a trailer</a> of their upcoming sequel to Eschalon.
<br>
<br>
Looks pretty nice.
<br>
<br>
thanks Marquess Cornwallis
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-ii-teaser-now-online">Basilisk Games</A>

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Christ, epic music, not over the top at all, I'm convinced.

Nah, first one sucked, still can't believed I payed for it

Are they making anything interesting with it now?

Mortmal

Arcane
First one was really disapointing indeed , cliché story , one way to solve boring usually fed exp quests, zero originality . It was branded as an oldschool game, well it doesnt even come close to an ultima 6 or 7, really sad .
Theres a few things i liked in, the day and night cycles , the use of torch and some old school puzzle, some nice little touch like being able to crush monsters under fence, something i have not seen since dungeon master.But all of it was so bland.

To me those kind of game sum up everything thats wrong with indies games, they took a mainstream game lilke diablo 1 and made it turn based for a single character with less encounters less loot less choices , less spells and less strategy,hardly anything else to do than left click on monsters ad vitam eternam, pretty much less of everything.

All of this served with graphism comparable, barely superior to the games we used to play 20 years ago ,i am not a graphic whore but come on look on http://www.lemonamiga.com/ for example, look at heimdall or cadaver , UFO, look at ulima 6 , all of them isometric 3D and considerably superior in every aspects.
I would really appreciate if someone could explain me why the enthusiasmfor it or its sequel.

Melcar

Arcane
The first one was meh. Good thing I did not buy it. Don't have high expectations for the second and I'm sure it wil be for for what it is. Hope at least they improved some of the stuff that annoyed me from the first game.

Mortmal said:
It was branded as an oldschool game, well it doesnt even come close to an ultima 6 or 7, really sad.
I'm not going to argue that it can match the scope and/or storytelling of Ultima 7, but I still think it is fairly reminiscent (gameplay-wise, particularly when it comes to combat) of that series, among others. I liked it precisely because of the combination of elements taken from old school games (for someone who spent months replaying Dungeon Master back in the Amiga days, the fact alone that you can crush an enemy under a portcullis is worth something; ditto the EotB-style puzzles, etc.) and some interesting new ones (lighting/stealth, cartography).

I thought Elwro's review was pretty much spot on. I can understand why many people didn't like the game at all, but it nailed the "old-school" feeling for me. My main complaints were the loose ends (that is, missing options for certain quests that should have been there and everything related to the cancelled add-on), movement speed, relative lack of combat options and how the last third of the game (the desert) didn't quite live up to the earlier parts.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^
What he said.

I'm more than happy that I bought the first game. It was a good game and gave me some good hours. And the devs are hopefully becoming better at ... well.. developing ;).
Worth supporting, I'd say.

Dyspaire

Cipher
It's their first game. Ever.

If Eschalon I = Akalabeth, then E7 is going to be a pretty damn amazing game.

Basilisk did an admirable job with their first game. Cut them some slack.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, at least in the first game combat mode was exactly as in roguelikes with (too) simple Speed mechanics - meaning that it was not the "traditional" turn-based system. But in most other respects it was different; no randomly generated levels, for starters.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
True... still, quite a lot of people call it "turn-based" just for the reason that it isn't real-time; just wanted to point this out.

Zeus

Cipher
Have you guys heard anything about the optional hardcore mode requiring food and water to survive?

I wrote the developer about it a while back and he said he was going to keep it, but haven't head much about it since.

Zeus said:
Have you guys heard anything about the optional hardcore mode requiring food and water to survive?
eb2_screen1.png

There has been no talk of leaving out any of this, as far as I know.

Andhaira

Arcane
Looking p. forward to this puppy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom