Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Eschalon: Book II - Not Just Clicking

visions

Arcane
Fez said:
I wish it would allow you to arrange your party though as often it's crippling when your mage goes down in the first turn because he's too near enemies and you have no way to do anything about it.

You can arrange your party order in KotC - if you doubleclick on a character's name a screen comes up which allows you to do it.

denizsi

Arcane
thesheeep said:
I don't see a way where there could be more to combat than this.

Short sighted but perhaps that's because traditionally all combat is about HP. Read up on medieval European combat. There's surprising depth to the elements involved.

Fez

Erudite
Rageing Atheist said:
Fez said:
I wish it would allow you to arrange your party though as often it's crippling when your mage goes down in the first turn because he's too near enemies and you have no way to do anything about it.

You can arrange your party order in KotC - if you doubleclick on a character's name a screen comes up which allows you to do it.

I can pick the leader, but it still bunches them all up together. I'm finding the sheer amount of luck that battles hinge on not to my taste. It isn't fun to keep reloading because an encounter always has to be a "surprise" and there's no way to prepare. Especially when that means:

Meet encounter>wizard dies first round before I can move>reload>meet encounter>wizard and cleric die first round>reload>etc.

It's not much of a game or challenge for me if I depend solely on a roll of the die instead of my planning or effort and there's nothing really to be learned.

I was trying to persevere with the demo, but hopefully the full game will be a little better as it will let me leave and catch a breath, level up or something instead of just banging my head against the wall until I get a lucky streak with the dice.

denizsi

Arcane
It's not much of a game or challenge for me if I depend solely on a roll of the die instead of my planning or effort and there's nothing really to be learned.

I am excited. You will simply love what's coming to you soon.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Castanova said:
The demo is not indicative of how the real game plays.
In what ways?

1eyedking said:
Castanova said:
The demo is not indicative of how the real game plays. Although the save/reload feature will still get some use, to be honest.
VD would disagree :roll:
I would, considering that I played the demo with 3 characters and bought the game. I think the demo is a perfect indicator of what to expect. If you don't like the demo, there is no way you'd like the full game. If you liked the demo, you'll enjoy the game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
In what ways?

Can't tell as I haven't played the full game, but the demo is short as hell despite hearing the opposite. If the walking speed wasn't rivaled by that of a snail the whole thing would be 10 minutes at best.

Fez said:
Rageing Atheist said:
Fez said:

I can pick the leader, but it still bunches them all up together. I'm finding the sheer amount of luck that battles hinge on not to my taste. It isn't fun to keep reloading because an encounter always has to be a "surprise" and there's no way to prepare. Especially when that means:

Meet encounter>wizard dies first round before I can move>reload>meet encounter>wizard and cleric die first round>reload>etc.

I was trying to persevere with the demo, but hopefully the full game will be a little better as it will let me leave and catch a breath, level up or something instead of just banging my head against the wall until I get a lucky streak with the dice.

Initiative is your best friend in this game. Or one of them at least. And the game itself is a lot more forgiving...at times. At least it lets you start out on solid ground, just make sure you prepare before entering every area.

Vault Dweller

Developer
FeelTheRads said:
They were talking about KOTC...

Umm... no.

Or at least VD definitely wasn't.
My bad. Missed it too. However, I did play the KotC demo several times (the fucker was really hard on the eyes and had that horrible font) before buying it, so I can definitely say that that ugly looking demo sold me on the gameplay and made me crave moar.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The KotC demo has that mesmerising "This is your punishment. You will suck it down and you will love it" effect.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Fez said:

I once posted at ITS:

All you can do in these situations is preparing by proper equipment. Example Knight:

13 Mithral Full Plate +5
3 Dex Bonus
7 Heavy Shield +5
5 Ring of Protection

38 final AC
+ Cloak of Displacement for 50% concealment

Example Wizard

7 Mithral Leather+5
8 Dex bonus (assumes Dex 20 & Dex bracers +6)
6 Mithril light shield +5
5 Ring o. P. +5
4 Foresight

40 final AC
+ Cloak of Displacement for 50% concealment

Plus Improved Initiative will help throughout the game.

I have to say that I didn't like this approach very much, to design fights in a manner that it is pure luck whether you survive the first 2 rounds when you can't even act. Solving fights by reloading is no fun. In a game that doesn't allow you to prepare challenging fights should be designed differently, e.g. after you had 1 or 2 rounds in combat when you could cast a few basic buffs - only then the enemy brings in massive reinforcements.

Hope that helps, and that's also the difference between demo& full game. You can optimize AC etc in the full game, making things much easier. You don't get damaged if you don't get hit, you know. Also: Improved Initiative, take it at lvl1.

My bad. Missed it too. However, I did play the KotC demo several times (the fucker was really hard on the eyes and had that horrible font) before buying it, so I can definitely say that that ugly looking demo sold me on the gameplay and made me crave moar.

But it has no skillchecks and no different quest solutions plus it's entirely linear. Shouldn't you be telling us that it is not even an RPG? More like Adventure with Stats?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I loved the KOTC demo, this is a game I will definitely buy. And that lich gave me plenty of nightmares, but I managed to do him in.

and no different quest solutions plus it's entirely linear.

Well, not sure what you call linearity, but I was surprised at the different things you can do in that demo. Help/not help the dwarf, attack the the spider or do the quest for him, attack the fire elementals or give them the gem, kill that guy which guards the door to the bandits before he can alert them.
And yeah, these have consequences (for your party!) from small to pretty big.

Vault Dweller

Developer
VentilatorOfDoom said:

But it has no skillchecks and no different quest solutions plus it's entirely linear. Shouldn't you be telling us that it is not even an RPG? More like Adventure with Stats?
Is that what I normally do?

Anyway, KotC is all about tactical combat, much like ToEE, Jagged Alliance, Silent Storm, Pool of Radiance, or even Realms of Arkania. Doesn't mean it's not an RPG.

Palikka

Arcane
http://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtop ... =12&t=3252
BasiliskWrangler said:
There are two places in the in the game world where you will get this specific message ("There is nothing more in this direction. Turn back - your fate awaits elsewhere."). The stairs in Farrock Caves are one of them. These two "go nowhere" places are connection points for a big add-on content adventure I have planned for later this summer.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, well, the first one was supposed to have an add-on too and it never happened.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
PorkaMorka said:
scrolls (awesome in this game)

Yes teleport scrolls have something similar with guns in Gantz manga. The delay. Results are messy.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
KotC is one of worst grinds and save load dependent games I seen in last few years. In addition the writing is quite childish and spell selection restricted.

KoDP is about as hard (without spoilers), and it's actually enjoyable.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Personally, I prefer Incursion over KotC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom